steveishere
9 years ago

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers knew how close his six touchdown passes were to NFL history.

PackersNews  wrote:

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
I wish they would have given him a real chance for the record. Opportunities like that don't come along every week.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
9 years ago

I wish they would have given him a real chance for the record. Opportunities like that don't come along every week.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

They finally get a chance to really stat whore it up and don't take it.
Born and bred a cheesehead
sschind
9 years ago

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I think they gave him at least 1 more chance than they should have and maybe even 2. I have no problem with him taking the opening drive of the second half but after that I think maybe he should have been pulled. I'm sure Mike McCarthy knew about the 7 and wanted to give him one more shot but after the 2nd drive of the second half there really was no way they could justify leaving him in there.

In a way I'm glad he didn't get it. I see people ragging on Manning or Brees or Brady when they stay in and keep throwing but when Rodgers does it its suddenly OK. Why? Its one thing to break a record (or tie in this case) when the game is closer but in a blowout like that it is senseless to expose him to the added risk. Last season should have hammered that point home and Shea McClellin was still in the game if I am not mistaken. He will be bouncing his grandkids on his bad knee telling them about the time he knocked out Aaron Rodgers and almost single handedly led his team to the divisional championship and the playoffs "one more week, all we needed was 1 more week". Can you imagine how great his story would be if it would have happened twice.
Laser Gunns
9 years ago
If the Bears had put up any kind of resistance, I could see us going for it.

But, they diddnt.

Do. Not. Risk. The. Franchise.

The last thing we need is Shea McCellen attacking Rodgers collarbone again.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
steveishere
9 years ago
Keep in mind both our starting G were dealing with serious injuries already. I wanted them to go for the record but they probably needed to pull Sitton/Lang and there's no way I'd want Rodgers in there with those 2 out.
nerdmann
9 years ago
What it doesn't say is that Aaron wanted that record already in the first quarter.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

I think they gave him at least 1 more chance than they should have and maybe even 2. I have no problem with him taking the opening drive of the second half but after that I think maybe he should have been pulled. I'm sure Mike McCarthy knew about the 7 and wanted to give him one more shot but after the 2nd drive of the second half there really was no way they could justify leaving him in there.

In a way I'm glad he didn't get it. I see people ragging on Manning or Brees or Brady when they stay in and keep throwing but when Rodgers does it its suddenly OK. Why? Its one thing to break a record (or tie in this case) when the game is closer but in a blowout like that it is senseless to expose him to the added risk. Last season should have hammered that point home and Shea McClellin was still in the game if I am not mistaken. He will be bouncing his grandkids on his bad knee telling them about the time he knocked out Aaron Rodgers and almost single handedly led his team to the divisional championship and the playoffs "one more week, all we needed was 1 more week". Can you imagine how great his story would be if it would have happened twice.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I don't mind Aaron coming out of the game early.

I have never complained about other QBs trying to or setting records. (Not that you implied I did.)

Aaron was out there in the 2nd half for 2 series. The first one was 2 runs and then a quick pass over the middle for Cobb that was off line. No real attempt here. The 2nd series when they were already in scoring position was his only real chance in the second half and he threw twice over into the flats after the predictable run didn't work. Mike had no desire to let him try and move the ball down field. If they couldn't gain a first exclusively on the efforts of the backs and receivers they didn't want Aaron to try anything to push the ball down field.

Obviously everyone understands the potential for injury. That is not being argued. All I said was as long as he was out there it is too bad they didn't take a couple of shots that were actually 10 yards down field. Leaving an extra blocker in, running a play or two that had a chance getting a first down would have been nice. It wasn't necessary but it would have been nice to at least try. They didn't.
UserPostedImage
sschind
9 years ago
I remember the uproar from Packers fans that came after Chris Boniol kicked a record 7th field goal against the Packers and the Cowboys were only up by 12 at the time. I don't think there was much time left at all in the game (if any) and it was totally unnecessary just like leaving Rodgers in the game in such a rout would have been. Had he gotten it on the first series I doubt he would have been in on the second (although maybe they would have let him go for the record all on his own since we already had the ball on their what? 10 yard line)

I don't have a problem with players going for the glory but when it puts a player at an unnecessary risk for injury I just disagree with it.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

I remember the uproar from Packers fans that came after Chris Boniol kicked a record 7th field goal against the Packers and the Cowboys were only up by 12 at the time. I don't think there was much time left at all in the game (if any) and it was totally unnecessary just like leaving Rodgers in the game in such a rout would have been. Had he gotten it on the first series I doubt he would have been in on the second (although maybe they would have let him go for the record all on his own since we already had the ball on their what? 10 yard line)

I don't have a problem with players going for the glory but when it puts a player at an unnecessary risk for injury I just disagree with it.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I understand but he is already out there on the field. Half the plays were running plays (and I know they still need to run the ball.) and two were passes off into the flats. It was a waste of his talent and time. Of the 6 plays only one of them was a pass more than a few yards down field. Why even expose him to a potential injury at all? If he is out there let him try and move the ball.

Either keep him out altogether or let him compete. They did neither.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (7h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (11h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (11h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Novalee

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.