Pack93z
9 years ago

If you're from the Midwest, more specifically from WI, I agree with you. I lived off Deckner Ave near UWGB for about 6 months, and aside from having crappy fishing opportunities if you didn't own a boat, it was a pleasant place to be with a lot of things to do that Wisconsinites could enjoy.

If you're from a big city, or a place where ice fishing isn't held in high esteem, then I can see why Green Bay is basically a few streets and an Applebees.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I grew up in the Midwest yes.. but in my early 20's I lived and traveled much of the country for work.. staying a couple months here and there. From Phoenix, Corpus Cristi, Biloxi, LA, and Columbia, SC. With the Weidner Center and the Arena.. you can get some fine art selections and concerts. Dining wise.. there are a number of choices around the city.. if you want to hunt or fish.. you can be in heaven within an hour.

The selections are not as vast no doubt.. but it is hardly a couple of streets and a Applebees.

And the weather.. the summer months in the south when it gets so blasted hot.. it limits your options that lack AC.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
9 years ago

Such a limited outlook statement.. there is a ton to do not only in Green Bay but the surrounding area depending on our interests. Yeah.. if you are looking for the clubbin' life.. agreed Green Bay is not a contender, albeit Main Street and the couple blocks south of the mall when I went to college there wasn't horrible.

But if you think clubbin' is overrated it isn't terrible. Tons of outdoor activities, sporting events and what not.. you can slide down to Milwaukee or Chi town for a weekend of pro sports or what not.

Personally I loved my time in Green Bay.. I went back again after college.. there is plenty to do. And I have lived in some bigger cities in America at times to compare it to.

It lacks pro sports draws and top notch clubs.. other than that.. it provides a wide range of interests. Maybe not the breadth of choice in a bigger city, but offers them just the same.

Now if you talk weather.. yeah.. it is hamstrung for 5 to 6 months a year.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

When I hear people saying we have nothing to offer, it really sets me off. Do we have events that come to your damn doorstep? No, but there are a lot of local bands and places to enjoy yourself all of the time. There is so much to do here, especially for families. UGH!!!

I gotta stop replying, too ticked off to be rational lol

That stupid ass Ryan Longwell .... ugh!!!
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
9 years ago

Plus, most of these athletes are looking for hot chicks. I have never gone chick hunting in Green Bay, but I gotta believe it's pretty sparse compared to other cities and that's a problem for these guys. There should be a push to make Green Bay a more diverse city with hotter women. :)

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

This here I will agree with... it doesn't present the same options, no.

But past those first couple wide year.. you can't ask for a better place to raise a family.. especially if you move out of the city a bit.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
9 years ago

When I hear people saying we have nothing to offer, it really sets me off. Do we have events that come to your damn doorstep? No, but there are a lot of local bands and places to enjoy yourself all of the time. There is so much to do here, especially for families. UGH!!!

I gotta stop replying, too ticked off to be rational lol

That stupid ass Ryan Longwell .... ugh!!!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Agreed.. and it has improved a ton since I left the second time in 99.
Pack93z
9 years ago
Plus.. only in Wisconsin.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1380940922187058 

http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/Black-Bear-enters-Price-Co-Shop-with-Customers-and-Employees-Inside-262790011.html#.U5m4KmuqqFI.facebook 

UserPostedImage

Bear walks into a retail store...
musccy
9 years ago

I grew up in the Midwest yes.. but in my early 20's I lived and traveled much of the country for work.. staying a couple months here and there. From Phoenix, Corpus Cristi, Biloxi, LA, and Columbia, SC. With the Weidner Center and the Arena.. you can get some fine art selections and concerts. Dining wise.. there are a number of choices around the city.. if you want to hunt or fish.. you can be in heaven within an hour.

The selections are not as vast no doubt.. but it is hardly a couple of streets and a Applebees.

And the weather.. the summer months in the south when it gets so blasted hot.. it limits your options that lack AC.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

You're actually preaching to the choir. I loved Door Cty, the Fox R. had some good walleye and musky fishing (if you had a boat), there are nice places to eat, or even getting "CCQ to go" at Krolls, I loved taking my road bike up Nicolet Drive along the Bay, I had a blast living there, don't get me wrong.

But as Uffda pointed out, if you want clubs, babes, and nice weather between October and March, you're sort of SOL in GB!
uffda udfa
9 years ago
I lived in Las Vegas on three separate occasions. I once remarked, "There's nothing to do in this town." ....it was written on a dry erase board attributed to me where it sat unerased as a way to mock me. However, for me, it was entirely true. Las Vegas didn't offer me what I wanted from a city. Green Bay would offer me what I was looking for. Everyone is different. You will find those athletes that love Green Bay, like a Jordy, because that is what he's looking for. A Greg Jennings didn't like it because, I can only assume, he wanted to live in a more diverse place and I can't fault him..

There's nothing I would love more than to move back to WI... It burns in me to return "home" but my 3 kids are all school aged and it would be very wrong of me to uproot them for my selfish reasons. That was done to me by my father, and I resented him for it.

It is too bad Green bay doesn't cater to a more diverse crowd. The fact we've won 2 SB's since the mid 90's is truly remarkable. There are few places that has the decked stacked against it like Green Bay does.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Pack93z
9 years ago

But as Uffda pointed out, if you want clubs, babes, and nice weather between October and March, you're sort of SOL in GB!

Originally Posted by: musccy 

I thought I qualified that.. but the original comments was the there is nothing to do in Green Bay. lol.. but I have derailed this topic enough..

To rebuild yourself.. as this young man needs to do.. I concur.. Green Bay allows you that opportunity. The fishbowl works both ways.. if it is minor indiscretions.. they might not see the light of day even in this social media cocoon like life of today.
musccy
9 years ago

I lived in Las Vegas on three separate occasions. I once remarked, "There's nothing to do in this town." ....it was written on a dry erase board attributed to me where it sat unerased as a way to mock me. However, for me, it was entirely true. Las Vegas didn't offer me what I wanted from a city. Green Bay would offer me what I was looking for. Everyone is different. You will find those athletes that love Green Bay, like a Jordy, because that is what he's looking for. A Greg Jennings didn't like it because, I can only assume, he wanted to live in a more diverse place and I can't fault him..

There are few places that has the decked stacked against it like Green Bay does.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Vic Ketchman wrote about that during F.A season, something we don't think about. GB has state income tax, cold weather, a small town feel that's ideal for families and people like uffda, me, and pack93z, but not so much for high energy single athletes in their 20s. Probably not by coincidence, Ted and the Packers realize their shortcomings and put so much emphasis in draft and develop. You may not entice people to come to GB, so focus on who you can force against their will [grin1]

As pack93z said, we're sort of hijacking the thread, so, how about that Colt Lyerla guy?
uffda udfa
9 years ago
I do think about it...that's why it is far more special winning a SB in Green Bay than any other place...it is inherently harder to win one in a small city few really want to come to.

Hopefully, Colt loves his limited choices. Perhaps, he'll get into fishing. Not sure he can be a firearm owner with his record so hunting might be out for him.

Will he make the team and would he last on the PS? Does he have enough upside with his downside to keep over a guy like Bostick that you dumped a few years into? No way Bostick and Lyerla make this roster IMO.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (6h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (11h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (11h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (11h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.