MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

Thumbs up: Jordy Nelson had been shelved following knee surgery (although it wasn't public knowledge yet). Randall Cobb was reduced to spectator after suffering a biceps injury earlier in practice (although it's not thought to be serious). No matter. When the Green Bay Packers' No. 1 offense took on the team's No. 1 defense in a no-huddle 11-on-11 period at the end of practice Tuesday, quarterback Aaron Rodgers was able to move the unit 70 yards in seven plays — thanks in large part to No. 4 receiver Jarrett Boykin. Boykin, who made the team as the No. 6 receiver coming out of training camp last year and has moved up the depth chart following the free-agent departure of Greg Jennings and the retirement of all-time leading receiver Donald Driver, hasn't had a ton of splash plays during camp, but he delivered a pair during the drive: His 16-yarder on a back-shoulder throw from Rodgers was stupendous, as he reached back and somehow reeled in a fastball that appeared ticketed for an incompletion; and his 20-yarder on which he absorbed a hard hit from safety Jerron McMillian, set up Rodgers' 16-yard touchdown to Jermichael Finley to cap the drive.

Thumbs down:While Boykin was making an impression offensively, Jeremy Ross made the kind of mistake that will keep coach Mike McCarthy from committing to him as the return man: Catching the football. On Tuesday, he muffed a punt off the JUGS machine, drawing the ire of the coaches, including special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum. There's not much question whether Ross has the innate talent to be the returner. But in the wake of his costly muffed punt against San Francisco in the Packers' season-ending NFC Divisional Playoff, he just can't do that sort of thing.

Play of the day:The throw-and-catch between Rodgers and Finley was a masterpiece — and the kind of play the Packers will be looking for on a regular basis from the duo. On first-and-10 from the defense's 16-yard line, Finley lined up in the left slot and ran straight down the seam, carrying rookie cornerback Micah Hyde with him. Rodgers then put the ball where only Finley was going to catch it — Hyde didn't get his head around until the ball was arriving — and Finley made a strong catch over the rookie for the touchdown at the goal line.

Camp confidential:Not that he would ever wish ill will on Bryan Bulaga, whose season is likely over with a torn anterior cruciate ligament, or on the backup quarterbacks, who now have more competition in the form of Vince Young, but the happiest guy in Green Bay on Tuesday had to be embattled kicker Mason Crosby. With Young and Bulaga's likely replacement, rookie David Bakhtiari, drawing all the attention, no one was talking about Crosby's 3-for-8 performance in Saturday night's scrimmage. Crosby came into the locker room as the media availability session was ending, so reporters were being ushered out as he arrived, but even had he talked, his struggles would have taken a back seat to the other, bigger stories.

Odds and ends:

• Ted Thompson didn't come out and rip rookie seventh-round wide receivers Kevin Dorsey and Charles Johnson, but even the general manager is getting a bit frustrated with their inability to get on the field. After each practicing only once or twice in OTAs, they've been sidelined since the first two days of camp and there's no reason to think they'll be back on the field in time to play in Friday night's preseason opener against Arizona. "We're anxious to see (them)," Thompson admitted. "It makes it difficult for everybody — difficult for them, difficult for us."

• Eddie Lacy's strong performance in the Family Night Scrimmage led to him getting the first snap at running back in drills Tuesday. Fellow rookie Johnathan Franklin was up next, followed by James Starks, who continues to have a strong camp. "The running game in the scrimmage, I thought it took a step forward," McCarthy said. "I thought we ran the ball particularly well — (I) don't want to say very well. I thought we apexed a number of runs with the blocking unit, and I thought the backs did a good job of getting to the second level. So, I was very pleased with it."

Injury report: Nelson underwent knee surgery on Sunday and won't practice the rest of camp. Bulaga is holding out hope he can play with a torn ACL. Running back Alex Green (knee) missed his first practice of training camp. Tight end Ryan Taylor (knee) sat out practice after being injured in the scrimmage and is "week-to-week," according to McCarthy. Defensive end Datone Jones missed practice with an illness. Wide receiver Sederrick Cunningham (wrist) was placed on season-ending injured reserve. Still sidelined: Johnson (knee); Dorsey (hamstring); running back DuJuan Harris (knee), safety Sean Richardson (neck), cornerback Casey Hayward (hamstring), cornerback Tramon Williams (knee), offensive lineman JC Tretter (ankle), tackle Derek Sherrod (leg), tight end Andrew Quarless (quadriceps), defensive end/outside linebacker Mike Neal (abdominal) and defensive end Jerel Worthy (knee). Outside linebacker Dezman Moses (toe) and inside linebacker Jamari Lattimore (illness) returned to practice.

Practice schedule:The Packers practice Wednesday at 8:20 a.m. in pads at Ray Nitschke Field. The practice is open to the public, weather permitting.

Jason Wilde  wrote:

play2win
10 years ago
Really encouraging news on Boykin. Even with Jordy being out, our WR group looks strong. Very encouraging.
yooperfan
10 years ago
The injury report is certainly disheartening.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

10h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.