buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
You know the old saying "you are what you're record says you are"

You all can twist it and turn it all you want, this team, underachieved this year, lack of focus, lack of preperation, inferior coaching, 3 things that come to mind.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
dhazer
15 years ago
I love stats but your saying we are the unluckiest team, that gets me curious were we the luckiest then last year?
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
brnt247
15 years ago
You guys have to understand the idea first.

In 2006 the Cleveland Indians were 78-84 and scored 870 runs and let up 782. They scored significantly more than they let up. The following season they didn't change much of their team, a few new players like every season but nothing too major. They ended up going 96-66 while scoring only 811 runs and allowing 704.

2006 Pythagorean record - 89-73.
2006 Actual record - 78-84

2007 Pythagorean record - 91-71
2007 Actual record 96-66

The whole point is that teams usually don't lose every single close game. The luck factor which does come into play in sports a lot more than many of you give it credit for usually is pretty balanced. When you get such a lopsided record of 5-9 and have still scored 30 more points than you've given up, some of the record could be contributed to luck.

I'm not saying we are some great team that has gotten unlucky every week and we don't have to worry about changing anything. My point though is that teams who score more than they allow usually win more games, in any sport. It also isn't as if we came up with this to "spin" anything. Bill James, the most respected statistician in sports uses expected W/L and values it greatly.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
My point.. if we had played up to potential and capitalized on opportunities early in games.. we wouldn't have had to rely upon any freaking "luck" late in games.

So many times in games this season we got close to pulling off a momentum changing play on both sides of the ball.. we didn't seize the chance and lost late in the game.

Oh and these last couple weeks late in the games... IMO, you can see this team's lack of confidence shine.. they are just waiting to get beat. No luck in that.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
brnt247
15 years ago

My point.. if we had played up to potential and capitalized on opportunities early in games.. we wouldn't have had to rely upon any freaking "luck" late in games.

So many times in games this season we got close to pulling off a momentum changing play on both sides of the ball.. we didn't seize the chance and lost late in the game.

Oh and these last couple weeks late in the games... IMO, you can see this team's lack of confidence shine.. they are just waiting to get beat. No luck in that.

"pack93z" wrote:

When you opened this thread you came into it with a closed mind. There's no point in arguing anything because you have made your decision on the idea before you even fully understood it.
blank
15 years ago
I think you both made valid points.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago

When you opened this thread you came into it with a closed mind. There's no point in arguing anything because you have made your decision on the idea before you even fully understood it.

"brnt247" wrote:

Hardly..

The concept can be proven and dismissed in context of how you want to look at it.

If one took the Packers 07 season and ran it through the basis used, then it very well might conclude that we should have lost more games than not.

I love numbers.. mathematical principles can be used endlessly.. but in such a dynamic game as this, I don't see how it can quantify the tangible theory of "luck".

But I sure in the hell can replay the games and see a slight over throw here, a missed blocking assignment there and released FB into the flat..

My point, is I think it is a flawed analogy to determine the "luck" of a team.

But go ahead and call me insular again.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
15 years ago
The point that Matt was making is that the trend should be positive next year.. well unless the Packers correct their focus, gameplan's and preparation in the offseason.. the math can be tossed out the window.

The talent says we have a team that can compete in this league.. the mental breakdown's say we lose these games due to our, I repeat, our play.

I think it a anomaly that we were in as many games as we have been.
brnt247
15 years ago
That wasn't intended to be a personal attack and you obviously put more thought into this than most of the others that responded. I wrongfully grouped you in with the few that immediately dismissed the idea.

I still think this has some backbone. Aside from our games vs. the Cowboys and Saints we have been in it until the last half of the 4th quarter, and not just a few points away but with the chances to take the lead or even in the lead. We can play with any team in the league, even now with our defense giving up an insane amount of points. It isn't good to see us losing all of these close games, but it absolutely gives hope for the following seasons. I would be much less optimistic about the future if the Packers were 5-9 and playing like the Browns.
blank
PackerTraxx
15 years ago
I think luck is all in the name, like Starr, Unitas, Tittle, Stabler, Bradshaw, Marino, Elway, Montana, Young, Manning . . .

We were a lot luckier with the name Favre because it sort of rhymed with Starr.

:icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_smile:
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.