Zero2Cool
11 years ago
A while back my brother contacted me saying he was going to be a daddy and wanted me to be the God father. I told him it would be an honor and would gladly do so. Admittedly, I accepted not knowing what I was getting myself into. I had God parents, but I seen them very rarely so I wasn't sure on the requirements, but whatever it was, I was going to do it.

He and his girlfriend came to my house last week to give me the invitation for the Baby Shower as the baby is due October 16th. I confessed I wasn't sure my responsibilities as a God parent. They both kind of laughed. I had mentioned that I'd been told it meant I would be guardian if something were to happen to them to, and also heard things that if something happened to them I would be responsible for taking the child to a church within the religion they chose. When I accepted the role, I figured I'd just be spoiling the little guy a little more than an Uncle already does. Me, Kevin, an Uncle? Sounds ... different, but looking forward to it either way.

Yesterday morning he sent me a text that carried news any parent dreads ... they lost the baby. They drove to Green Bay to have the baby delivered and around 3:40pm he told me the baby had the umbilical cord around his neck and they feel that was the cause of death. He didn't ask me to come but said if I wanted to see the baby they were in room X. I'm terrible in situations like this, I never know what to say, or not to say and I'm scared to death of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

I've always been the brother to my siblings that I may kick your ass and annoy you, but anyone else gives you as so much of a paper cut, I'm flooring them without prejudice. When we were younger, I'd fix his bike, or teach him how to play sports or how to handle mom or help him get a job or whatever. I can't fix this for him and its fricking killing me. While looking at the baby, I kept wishing I had some magical power where I could kiss him on the forehead and he'd cough and wake up. Something, anything. I tried that already, with mom, didn't work.

I don't know what I can do, but I stayed with him and his girlfriend in the hospital for about 3 hours yesterday and will be going back again after work today. I just hope my presence is somehow helping.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago
For what words can do, I'm sorry for your loss and theirs, Kevin. Losing a child is never easy, my cousin's miscarried a few times and it's bad enough and you feel helpless enough then, I can only imagine what it's like for you. Just know that your presence and support do matter to them and the fact that you're going out of your way to see them says a lot about you as a person.
zombieslayer
11 years ago
Just being there was the right thing to do.

Sorry about your loss, amigo.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
gbguy20
11 years ago
This is terrible, I'm sorry, man.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
It is a tragedy. My wife miscarried at about 5 months. It was hard for me but I knew the child would have had a miserable life so I tell myself it was for the best. A year later when my son was born and healthy I told myself this was the body God wanted him to have. I look at my wife I can tell that SHE doesn't see it that way. Every once in a while I realize she is thinking of her unborn child. I can't say anything that will make her feel better I just give her quiet support. She actually had to wrap it up and take it to the doctor's office. (She worked for an OBGyn at the time.)

It has to be much harder to lose your child when you are at the delivery. Every one is excited and anticipating great things. It is such a crushing blow. Some close friends went through that about 3 years ago.

All you can do is be yourself. Offer them what support you are able to give. It will be enough.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Thanks. What makes this harder is talking to them and hearing all the plans they had and how excited they were for their first child and ... gone. I'm not one for big social gatherings and even though I'd have been uncomfortable being around all those people, I was going to attend the Baby Shower because I could see how much it meant to my brother. It was just the right thing to do. The pain I felt/feel is .. is just a fraction of what they are going through.

It's a reminder of how much of a miracle a healthy pregnancy and child really are. I told my brother that even though his child isn't in his arms, he's surely in moms and she did good by us and will do good by him.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago
I have as well dealt with this twice in my life (once per wife).. and it does take a toll. However both were very early in the pregnancy and to be honest was easier to deal with as result. My oldest son was taken C-section as the cord was around his neck.

Zero.. your being there is helping I am sure. I know it probably is a feeling of helplessness but it will mean the world to them.

Difficult times and subject to deal with.. all you can do is be there for them.

Pass along our thoughts and prayers.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago
Major, major, bummer.

My thoughts are with you, your brother, and his girlfriend.

And a well-done to you for what you have done and are doing.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

Zero.. your being there is helping I am sure. I know it probably is a feeling of helplessness but it will mean the world to them.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Kevin several people have mentioned this to you. As I was reading Pack's post I thought of my mother in law. The 9th of every month I call her. My F-I-L passed away on Aug 9th. (It is now 2 years.) She knows why I am calling her. We rarely discuss that. We just talk. That helps. For both her and myself. Nothing we talk about is all that important. we just spend a few minutes together. Sometimes it is 5 minutes sometimes 30 min. Whatever she needs. When she has had enough she tells me she has to hang up.

We talk about my kids. The other grandkids. Her daughters. The weather. Whatever she feels like talking about. You are doing the same thing even if you don't realize it. The wound is too recent for you to be as casual as I can be but the results are the same.

Keep in mind that everyone rushes in when a tragedy occurs. After a day or a week they all rush back out and get on with their lives. Be there for the long haul.

Last comment- During this I have been thinking about some good friends of mine. They too went full term before losing their baby. They had a funeral service and put her casket on top of grandma's. they feel like what you said, the baby is in grandma's arms. I thought helped them in their grieving process and was a good idea. Unfortunately for them they had a do it a second time.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Kevin several people have mentioned this to you. As I was reading Pack's post I thought of my mother in law. The 9th of every month I call her. My F-I-L passed away on Aug 9th. (It is now 2 years.) She knows why I am calling her. We rarely discuss that. We just talk. That helps. For both her and myself. Nothing we talk about is all that important. we just spend a few minutes together. Sometimes it is 5 minutes sometimes 30 min. Whatever she needs. When she has had enough she tells me she has to hang up.

We talk about my kids. The other grandkids. Her daughters. The weather. Whatever she feels like talking about. You are doing the same thing even if you don't realize it. The wound is too recent for you to be as casual as I can be but the results are the same.

Keep in mind that everyone rushes in when a tragedy occurs. After a day or a week they all rush back out and get on with their lives. Be there for the long haul.

Last comment- During this I have been thinking about some good friends of mine. They too went full term before losing their baby. They had a funeral service and put her casket on top of grandma's. they feel like what you said, the baby is in grandma's arms. I thought helped them in their grieving process and was a good idea. Unfortunately for them they had a do it a second time.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

We just spoke recently and he and his girlfriend have been discharged from the hospital. He said he can't think of a time when he wanted to go home so badly. He wants to start the healing process. I brought Keiana to the hospital yesterday and maybe that wasn't good, I dunno. I over think things maybe.

I try to keep in touch with my brothers and sister as much as they can handle of me. My sister is now in River Falls, youngest brother is in Manitowoc and the brother mentioned lives in Sturgeon Bay. One thing I like about Facebook, is its another form of communicating with family. I'm not a phone caller person, but I text quite a bit. Nothing special, usually just "how you doing, staying out of trouble?" type of stuff. Oh wow, that's what mom used to say to me when she'd call. I can't do this. Thanks for the comments. I thought talking would somehow help, but its hurting more.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (36m) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (43m) : For now...
Zero2Cool (1h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (4h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (4h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (7h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (7h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.