macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
EDIT: Newhouse was hurt in the Saturday scrimmage. JSOnline sunday night blog (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/165070636.html#!page=0&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst) says both Newhouse and Greg Jennings suffered concussions. Taylor starting in his place with Sherrod still out, getting abused by multiple defenders. NOT good at a position where we're already thin.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/165066616.html# !page=1&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst

Green Bay - Nobody was spilling the beans about the type or seriousness of the injury LT Marshall Newhouse suffered in the intrasquad scrimmage Friday night.

But it's clear that third-year veteran Herb Taylor is preparing himself to fill a key spot when practice resumes tonight at 7 p.m. Taylor is next in line behind Newhouse in part because 2011 first-round pick Derek Sherrod is not recovered from a broken leg.

After that it's seventh-round pick Andrew Datko, who is not playing as well as Taylor. Thus, there's a good shot that Taylor will be at left tackle with the starters tonight.

"It's unfortunate for Sherrod and Marshall right now, but somebody has to do it, somebody has to step up," Taylor said. "That's me or Andrew or any other guy they decide to put there. You have to just keep on moving."

Newhouse left the scrimmage late and was able to walk off with no assistance. He didn't appear to be in discomfort. After the scrimmage, coach Mike McCarthy said he had not checked with the trainers to see about injuries so he had no details on Newhouse's injury.

When the Packers released veteran Chad Clifton, they were counting on Newhouse and Sherrod to handle the position. They had no intention of moving RT Bryan Bulaga and still don't appear to.

Taylor, 27, has bounced around the NFL since entering with Kansas City as a sixth-round pick in 2007. He played two games in '07 and all 16 in '08 before being released on the final cutdown in '09. He then went on a football odyssey that landed him in Denver three different times, the New York Giants for a short while and finally the Packers at the end of last season.

In between, he played with the UFL and tried to stay in shape, never giving up the dream of playing in the NFL again.

"I'm not a quitter," said the 6-4, 305-pound Taylor, who played at Texas Christian. "Until absolutely nobody calls me and it says my time is up then I'm going to keep fighting."

If Newhouse's injury isn't serious, at least Taylor looks like he'll have a shot to practice with the No. 1s and show the coaches that he's worthy of being the top backup at both tackle positions. He has played on the right side as much as the left during his career and said he is comfortable on either side.

The Packers' mantra has been next man up under coach Mike McCarthy and Taylor said he is taking that to heart.

"One guy goes down, the next guy has to be ready, no matter who it is," Taylor said. "The offense doesn't just stop for one person. That's kind of how it operates in order to be a successful team."

We'll have more information on Newhouse's injury and Taylor's role tonight when practice takes place. Check back at 7 p.m. for the live blog and we'll have an update.

JSOnline.com wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago
Sounds like when Neal hurt his knee last year. LOL

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
earthquake
11 years ago
Newhouse and Greg Jennings had concussions.

http://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/232302706780418050 
blank
DarkaneRules
11 years ago
Two quick injuries for Greg. That's a concern. Herb looks like Newhouse quite a bit. In any case, I hope these boys have their helmets on right.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Upshall18
11 years ago
Man I really hope Newhouse isn't out too long. Not sure I trust Taylor protecting Aaron's blindside especially since we're going up against some pretty good pass rushers the first 2 weeks.
blank
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago
Not Good. Packers are already on their 3rd LT, haven't yet played a game.
O-line's need to work together as a unit.
These guys need to be able to practice.
Anybody have Chad Clifton's #??????
🤣 🤣 🤣
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
11 years ago
GBPG 

Andrew Datko says he’s back to playing about at the level he did as a junior in college, before a recurring shoulder injury ruined his senior season.

He's been getting schooled so far in TC, but it looks like he may be getting back to where he needs to be. Although the level of a college junior isn't where he needs to be.

Might end up being a project guy, whereas what we need right now is someone who can step in and plug the leak.

Datko has worked at both tackles with the No. 2 offense in training camp and especially struggled when the pads went on in the first week of camp, most notably in the one-on-one pass blocking drill. He said he’s in effect had to re-learn left-arm skills such as punching with his left hand in pass blocking.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
11 years ago
JSO 

He said he has his strength back, but he has been favoring the shoulder because that's what he did when he tried to play through the injury. He's gradually erasing that bad habit. On Monday night, he did well in one-on-one pass-rushing drills where he had been easy prey early on. He beat Jarius Wynn and Anthony Hargrove in back-to-back turns, earned a draw with Hargrove later and then survived a bull rush from DT Jerel Worthy. He's still trying to get used to the footwork on the right side and probably will play both positions against San Diego. He has a long way to go, but Monday night was a start.

zombieslayer
11 years ago

Not Good. Packers are already on their 3rd LT, haven't yet played a game.
O-line's need to work together as a unit.
These guys need to be able to practice.
Anybody have Chad Clifton's #??????
🤣 🤣 🤣

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I love Cliffy and I know this was more than likely said in jest, but for Cliffy's sake, I hope he's out of the NFL. He's so beaten up, he'll be in a wheelchair if he plays another year.

But yeah, I'm pretty worried that we're on our 3rd LT after not even playing a preseason game yet. This is really not good.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
doddpower
11 years ago

I love Cliffy and I know this was more than likely said in jest, but for Cliffy's sake, I hope he's out of the NFL. He's so beaten up, he'll be in a wheelchair if he plays another year.

But yeah, I'm pretty worried that we're on our 3rd LT after not even playing a preseason game yet. This is really not good.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

I really don't get this. How are we on our "3rd" LT? Newhouse was the starter for most of last year and was the starter going into this season. I remember reading reports that Sherrod was improving and closing the gap between he and Newhouse, but the fact remains the he hadn't officially won the job yet, although it seemed to be getting very close. Considering that Sherrod won't be ready for the foreseeable future, Taylor is the #2 LT. Obviously the coaching staff wasn't penciling in Sherrod as the #1 or 2 because I'm sure they are well aware that he won't be ready for the foreseeable future. Therefore, the depth chart at LT was Newhouse, Taylor, and then maybe Datko. I'm not suggesting that's a good depth chart, but it is what the Packer's are working with. Moreover, if Newhouse truly does only have a concussion, I'm not sure I understand what the fear is. He will be back before too long, at worst. I suppose some may be worried that Newhouse may have more than a concussion, but that's all we have heard so far.

I'm not anymore worried than I was before Newhouses' injury is my point. It sounds like he will be fine soon and things are just as they were at the beginning of training camp. I think a healthy and conditioned Sherrod would eventually beat Newhouse out, but I have no idea when that will be. It might not be until very late in the season, at best. Otherwise, I'm hoping for improvement in Newhouse, and the development of Datko. I have no clue what to expect from Taylor.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (3h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (3h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (3h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (4h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (4h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (6h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (11h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (11h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.