Zero2Cool
12 years ago

About Datko...
Four-year starting left tackle with 40 career starts to his credit...instrumental in one of FSU's best rushing attacks in a four-year stretch (158.5 yards per game)...one of the leaders of the offensive line who played alongside FSU consensus All-American Rodney Hudson for three seasons in producing one of the top left sides in college football.

Starting left tackle who was a preseason candidate for a number of national awards and was headed towards all-conference honors before a shoulder injury forced him to sit out the remainder of the season...started the first four games of the season and played 252 snaps while posting a season average grade of 75.8...allowed just one sack...posted a season-high grade of 84 percent in the opener against Louisiana Monroe...had 40 career starts to his credit...given an Unselfish Leadership Award at the annual football team banquet for his mentorship he provided to a young offensive line after he missed the remaining nine games of the regular season...earned the Matt Schmauch Academic Award at the end of spring practice, which is given to the player who is dedicated to getting a degree, is accountable and responsible in the classroom and works everyday to be a better student...earned one of six community service awards given out at the end of spring practice.

Third-year starter as a true junior, he missed three games after suffering a shoulder injury late in the Oklahoma game, which snapped a streak of 27 consecutive starts...played his entire career at left tackle, where he has been responsible for protecting the quarterbacks' blind side and excels in that area...relinquished just one sack in 11 games (all starts) on the season, stifling heralded pass rushers from Oklahoma, Miami, Clemson, Florida and Virginia Tech...penalized just three times and issued five missed assignments in 691 snaps...Datko's season average grade of 87 was second only to Rodney Hudson on the team...presented the Bob Crenshaw Award by the Tallahassee Quarterback Club as the "Most Courageous" Seminole.

Started every game at the left tackle position and boasted a season average grade of 80 percent...registered 24 knockdown blocks...allowed two sacks all season, shutting out Georgia Tech All-American Derrick Morgan and All-ACC standouts Robert Quinn (UNC) and Willie Young (NC State)...made his 25th consecutive start in the Gator Bowl...earned ACC Lineman of the Week honors following dominating performance in the come-from-behind win at North Carolina...was penalized just three times on the season...earned honorable mention All-ACC honors...recognized by the coaches as the offensive player most committed to physical development in the spring of `09.

Started the final 12 games of his true freshman season...became the third Seminole to earn Freshman All-American honors from the FWAA under line coach Rick Trickett...also collected Freshman All-American honors from Sporting News, Rivals and Phil Steele...was the first FSU tackle to earn that distinction since Brett Williams in 1999...played 852 snaps and recorded 21 knockdown blocks...named top newcomer on offense by the coaching staff.

PERSONAL
Coveted three-star recruit who earned All-Broward honors from the South Florida Sun-Sentinel as a senior at St. Thomas Aquinas...an outstanding student who carries that intelligence on to the field...understands leverage and balance...a tireless worker in the weight room, who has added nearly 40 pounds of muscle mass since arriving at FSU...played for the state championship every season at powerhouse St. Thomas Aquinas and was part of the 14-1 team that won the title his senior season...a business major, he won the freshman class academic award for offense in 2008 and was named to the ACC All-Academic team that season...chose FSU over UCF and FIU...born August 15, 1990.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago
I called it! Token offensive player. Looks like they got a developmental QB too. LOVE this draft.

Didn't get a C, but we covered all our other "needs," imo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
I think they will try and slip him on to the PS.

Don't need C this year. He will be among their top needs next year. No use letting him sit on the bench taking up cap space.

EDIT- Khaled Holmes, C, USC
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
Good value pick. Shoulder is a question, but there's no such thing as a seventh rounder without big questions.

If shoulder sound, it's a major pick.

40+ SEC starts. Gave up just 3 sacks over sophomore and junior years combined.

Damn good pick.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Yerko
12 years ago
I really like this pick at 7 (was hoping for Polk). If he stays healthy, it can turn out right for the Packers. All the arrows were pointing up before his injury so its not much of a reach to say he has the potential to make some sort of impact in the future.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago

I really like this pick at 7 (was hoping for Polk). If he stays healthy, it can turn out right for the Packers. All the arrows were pointing up before his injury so its not much of a reach to say he has the potential to make some sort of impact in the future.

Originally Posted by: G-Force 

Another classsic Ted Thompson pick. The guy was underrated due to injury. Starks was the same way. Ranked 2nd in the country that year before his injury. BAM! Fell to the 6th round. He gets healthy and it's a great value pick. (Now if he can just stay healthy...)

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Packers_Finland
12 years ago
Great pick. Absolutely love it. He was regarded as a 3rd rounder by many before details of his injury emerged.
This is a placeholder
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago

Great pick. Absolutely love it. He was regarded as a 3rd rounder by many before details of his injury emerged.

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland 

See, we can agree on something after all.

[grin1]
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
The selection puzzles me a little bit. Let's say his injuries are done and his shoulders are fine. By the same respect Sherrod recovers as well. We have 3 or 4 starting OTs. Are they going to carry 4? If he is sound and they put him on the PS he is gone.

If he has injury issues then he is not such a wonderful player. If Sherrod has continuing problems healing most likely Newhouse will be the starting LT.

Yes it is a 7th round pick BPA and all and it is possible to trade him in a year or two for a higher pick.
UserPostedImage
play2win
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: G-Force 

I was hoping for Polk too. But, I think Datko's natural abilities at a super valuable position, make the pick a no-brainer. Minimal risk picking that late, and huge potential for this to be a BOOM pick. You can never have too many good OTs.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (14h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

10h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

15h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

23h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.