Zero2Cool
12 years ago

2011 PRESEASON Named to the Phil Steele Preseason All-CAA First Team.

2010: Named to the All-CAA Second Team . . . selected the team’s Defensive Player of the Year . . . started all 11 games, making 58 tackles (43 ST, 15 AT), including 5.5 tackles-for-loss and a pair of interceptions . . . led the team with six pass break ups on the season . . . notched a career-high 13 tackles (7 ST, 6 AT) against Albany (9/2) . . . also forced and recovered a fumble . . . made seven solo tackles against Monmouth (9/11) . . . notched 0.5 tackle-for-loss and a crucial interception in overtime against New Hampshire (10/2) . . . made seven stops (4 ST, 3 AT) at Delaware (10/9) . . . had eight tackles (6 ST, 2 AT), including a sack for -9 yards against Villanova (10/16) . . . made four solo tackles, including a tackle-for-loss (-2 yards) and a pass break up at Rhode Island (10/23) . . . forced a fumble and had six solo tackles to go with a pass break up against UMass (11/6) . . . made four solo tackles, including 2.0 tackles-for-loss and an interception against James Madison (11/20).

2009: Started all 11 games . . . made 55 tackles (34 ST, 21 AT), inlcuding 3.5 tackles-for-loss (-9 yards) and notched 2.0 sacks . . . tied for third in the CAA with five interceptions . . . also forced two fumbles . . . made four tackles (3 ST, 1 AT), including 0.5 tackles-for-loss against St. Cloud State (9/3) . . . notched four tackles (3 ST, 1 AT), including a tackle-for-loss at Northeastern (9/12) . . . notched two interceptions at Albany and returned them for 29 yards . . . had seven tackles (5 ST, 2 AT) at Syracuse (9/26) . . . made 11 tackles (5 ST, 6 AT) and forced a fumble against Delaware (10/3) . . . intercepted a pass and returned it 36 yards while also notching seven tackles (4 ST, 3 AT) at Hofstra (10/10) . . . forced a fumble and notched a sack to go with six tackles (4 ST, 2 AT) against No. 1 Richmond (10/17) . . . had an interception against No. 19 Massachusetts (10/31) and at James Madison (11/7) . . . made five solo tackles including a sack at No. 9 New Hampshire (11/21). 2008: Saw action in 11 games at defensive back with one start coming at strong safety against top-ranked James Madison (9/27) … it marked the first start of his collegiate career … totaled 26 tackles (13 ST, 13 AT) with one interception and two pass breakups … made four tackles at Richmond (9/20) … had a season-high seven tackles in the start against JMU … intercepted first career pass at Delaware (10/11) … totaled four hits against Hofstra (10/18) … registered six stops and a pass breakup versus Iona (11/1) … had one tackle in the playoffs at Northern Iowa (11/29) … named a Maine Scholar-Athlete. 2007: Sat out the season as a redshirt. BEFORE MAINE/PERSONAL: Played quarterback and safety for coach Jim Hopke at Hillside H.S. ... served as team captain ... earned all-state, all-county and All-Mountain Valley Conference honors ... also played basketball ... named to his high school’s academic honor roll ... born April 2, 1989 ... son of John and Rosemary McMillian ... a child development and family relations major.

UserPostedImage
play2win
12 years ago
One of the top prospects to emerge from Maine in years, McMillian is a strong and physical safety who will be valued fairly high by an NFL team that needs help in its run defense. He is an athlete who at times can look stiff in his movements when covering the pass. When it comes to getting involved in the run game, McMillian brings it full-go every time and is a real aggressive player. His value lies in his ability to support the run and be a sure tackler, and he has sixth-round value based on this. He will likely be a make-it guy as a late-round selection for a team as he will be a reliable backup option early on and a serious contributor on special teams. Without doubt he is a player who needs to be heavily involved with the front seven and will be attractive to blitz-heavy defenses.

http://m.nfl.com/combine/profile/2532908/jeron-mcmillian/ 

4.42 40 with 36.5" vertical! Not bad for a Strong Safety.
play2win
12 years ago
Looks like another one of those guys they wanted to make certain that they got today. Not bad.
play2win
12 years ago
This from JSO:

Jerron McMillian is a 5-11, 201 pound safety from Maine. The senior is from Hillside, N.J.

Was a College Sports News All-American honorable mention. Finishes second on the team and fifth in the conference among defensive backs with 88 tackles, including 10.5 tackles for loss. Also had five pass breakups and an INT last season.

He ran the 40 in 4.36 seconds and had a vertical leap of 39 inches.

McMillian is the fifth defensive player taken by the Packers in as many picks so far in the 2012 NFL draft.

Green Bay defensive coordinator Dom Capers:

They had him in for a pre-draft visit; were impressed with him on tape. "He can run, he's a very aggressive player, you see him throw his body around." All qualities the Packers look for. Could play free or strong.

"He had a very aggressive style." "He had the movement and speed." Could play deep and go after the ball but also had the speed to move up and play the run.

Capers said they will be working overtime with all of these defensive rookie draft picks. Figure out how much they can handle mentally and then bring that out to the field. "This offseason is going to be critical for the number of young guys that we have." Wants them all to compete for a roster spot.

It appears the guy knows how to tackle. I don't know if he'll be able to cover anyone... I'll predict he'll learn just fine.
all_about_da_packers
12 years ago
On JSonline Packers blog, they say he ran a 4.36 40.

Seems to be a SS. Which is fine by me; Burnett's skill-set is probably better utilized at FS, and I'm someone who likes to have Safeties play defined traditional roles. Seems Mcmillian is better suited to being an in-the-box safety that is a good tackler. Skill-set wise, seems to be a fit, from my perspective, of playing alongside Burnett (showing Mcmillian win a starting job).
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
Don't like this pick at all.

I get the need. But there are so many better options still available. Many at safety (either FS or SS), others at CB, OL. Maybe even ILB. Josh Norman was late round 3 corner value.

He would have been available in the sixth, if not the seventh.

I'll give it a C-, but only because I was once spectacularly wrong about Nick Collins, too. Otherwise, I'd be tempted to go beyond Drafttek.com -- who has him as a -170 reach.

And no, that is not a typo.

Hope he's a kick ass special teamer. Oh, wait, some of those better options referred to -- they're also pretty good ST potential.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
play2win
12 years ago
I really wanted us to take Iloka, but hell, this kid's vertical is almost 5 inches greater, and his 40 time .30 faster. Quicker than Barron, with a higher vertical jump by 4.5".

If those JSO numbers are right, this kid's 40 is probably better than any S in this draft - by a lot.

Wow. Did Ted land us another thumper, with speed ala Collins? That would be freaking cool.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
Yes, he has pretty darn good measurables.

(Though I had his 40 as 4.56, exactly the same as Barron's.)

I still don't like the pick.

(And don't forget...it took Collins a solid three years to develop.)

He had better be Collins II.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
He ran a 4.56 at the Combine, which is a notriously slow surface. I hope the 4.36 is a legit time. I don't care where he would have run that, that's smokin' for a safety.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
evad04
12 years ago
Reminds me of when they took Collins. Considered a reach on a rangy safety from a small school. The guy can tackle (a HUGE problem last year) and has speed to recover. Maybe too much about evaluating drafts is big-board ratings. It's clear the Packers had him as a better safety than all the other "higher" rated ones. I like the pick.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

16h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.