Tezzy
  • Tezzy
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Green Bay Packers' Clay Matthews can play hurt but would prefer not to 

If Clay Matthews can rack up 13½ regular-season sacks, add 3½ more in the postseason and finish runner-up for the NFL’s defensive player of the year award without taking a preseason snap and while playing the second half of the season on a broken leg, what can he do with a full preseason and a healthy limb?

Wait, a broken what?

Everyone knows Matthews missed all four preseason games last season with his second hamstring injury in as many training camps, but few knew the Green Bay Packers’ star outside linebacker played the second half of the season with a stress fracture in his lower leg. That would explain why Matthews was listed on every injury report from Week 9 through the NFC championship game as probable with a shin injury. He wasn’t listed on the injury report prior to Super Bowl XLV.

“I don’t make a big deal of it,” Matthews said in a wide-ranging interview with the Green Bay Press-Gazette on Tuesday. “(It happened) some time in the middle of the season. You can’t do anything about it. I was just taking practices off and showing up on game day and giving it my all.”

Matthews brought up the injury only because he was asked about how the loss of defensive end Cullen Jenkins, the Packers’ best pass rusher on the defensive line who signed with the Philadelphia Eagles, would impact him. In the 15 games, including postseason, that Jenkins played last season, Matthews had 14 sacks. In the five games Jenkins missed because of injury, Matthews totaled just three sacks.

“I also had a stress fracture in four of those games,” Matthews said. “But nobody knows that. I had a stress fracture in my leg. A sore shin as you guys call it, but that’s all right. Obviously, I’m not making excuses. Cullen is a terrific athlete, and we’re definitely going to take a hit in our defensive line, but at the same time I think they have confidence in the guys coming up.”

Preseason injuries have been a part of Matthews’ first two NFL seasons. He missed all but the preseason finale of his rookie season because of a hamstring injury and all four preseason games last year because of the same injury. As a rookie, the Packers eased him back, starting him only in the nickel package the first month of the season before turning him loose in a full-time role. He still managed 10 sacks, the most ever by a Packers rookie. It hardly slowed him last year, when he opened the season with consecutive three-sack games.

Seemingly, Matthews would be the poster child for those who believe training camp and the preseason are unnecessary, but he doesn’t view it that way. In fact, he trained this offseason so that he could hit the ground running in training camp. When he reported on July 29, he weighed in at 252 pounds, which was six pounds lighter than last season. He spent his offseason working out in Westlake, Calif., with his personal trainer, Ryan Capretta, a former NFL strength coach with the Cardinals and Ravens.

Capretta analyzed the workouts Matthews had done in the past and concluded more cardiovascular conditioning would help in the injury-prevention area.

“Clay’s naturally very explosive and quick, so in the past he hadn’t spent a lot of time on the field working on conditioning,” Capretta said. “It was a lot more time in the weight room. So this offseason, we still did the weight room, but we incorporated a lot more movement, especially leading into camp. It was a little more endurance-based, and then as it got closer to camp it turned into more football-specific explosive movements.”

Capretta, who counts Dwight Freeney of the Indianapolis Colts and Antonio Cromartie of the New York Jets as clients, also started something new this offseason called “Friday field trips,” in which he took advantage of the different Southern California terrain. One Friday, they would run the sand dunes. Another Friday, they would run in the mountains.

“This offseason, I put an emphasis on really coming in here in great cardio shape and make sure I had done everything that I possibly could to say, ‘Hey, this is how we’re going to prevent injuries,’” Matthews said. “That’s the nature of the beast. You’re going to get injured in this game, but I feel good. I feel good about where I’m at headed into my third year and feel like I can definitely outdo what I’ve put on paper and on film the last two years.”

That’s a bold statement for a guy who in two years has become one of the league’s premier pass rushers and was the first Packers player to earn Pro Bowl status in each of his first two NFL seasons since running back John Brockington (1971-72).

“He has gone from zero to ballistic in two years,” said Packers outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene.

Two years — even two years like Matthews has put together — don’t make a career, especially in his family. His dad played in the league for 19 years with the Browns and his uncle, Bruce, played 19 years for the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans.

“I’ve got a couple more years to go,” Matthews said.

He also reminds himself that many wondered whether he could achieve stardom in the NFL after playing only sparingly until his senior season at Southern Cal.

“There’s always going to be critics, like my rookie year when people said the Packers gave up too many (draft) picks for me, or he’s going to hit the rookie wall,” Matthews said. “Then there’s the sophomore slump. What’s it going to be this year? Am I too Hollywood? Do I have a big head? Am I too complacent after winning the Super Bowl?”

The evidence would suggest otherwise. Take for example that Capretta said even though Matthews had more offseason media obligations and endorsement appearances this year, he attended more workout sessions than any of the 20 NFL players he trained.

Perhaps that’s why Matthews looks like he’s in midseason form less than two weeks into training camp. He said he doesn’t know how much he will play in the preseason games, which begin Saturday at Cleveland, but it’s likely he’ll play more snaps than he did in the last two summers combined. Matthews has taken part in every practice so far except for Family Night, when he was held out because of a glute injury, which Matthews said was nothing serious.

“Now it’s about physically keeping me where I’m at,” Matthews said. “I feel like I’m at a place right now where if the season started today, I’d be good to go and making plays. So we’re going to temper that until the season starts. They’re doing a great job, the communication I have with the coaching staff and the organization is really going to help, unlike in years past where it’s been all go because that’s kind of how I play. Sometimes, it’s not the smartest way to go about it. But at the same time, it’s my nature.”

Green Bay Press-Gazette wrote:

Am I the only person that didn't know he had a stress fracture the second half of the season? That's pretty hardcore.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Pack93z
12 years ago
I remember talking about a change in his body angle late in the season last year.. that he wasn't applying as much torque when engaged.. this would explain it.

However labeling a stress fracture as a break might be pushing it.. but still painful as hell.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
12 years ago
Had to search for the threads.. only posting what I had posted.. but interesting stuff with this news.

http://packershome.com/tabid/63/g/posts/t/10980/Packer-stats-after-12-games.aspx 

Pop in a tape from early in the season and then from Sunday with note on his body angle when trying to turn the corner. It is more vertical without the same pressure being applied to the outside shoulder of the tackle. They can tell us in the press that his shin/leg isn't an issue.. however what you see on Sundays is telling a different story. He should have had the rookie for breakfast and lunch Sunday.. but he instead was forced to remove a large part of his game which is beating them around the corner with his body lean and speed.. but the guy is still creating havoc and freeing up space for other players.. But I still contend he isn't totally healthy and it is showing.His tailing off on the numbers isn't a coincidence.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

http://packershome.com/tabid/63/g/posts/t/11160/Packer-stars-need-to-step-up.aspx 

I believe if you watch Clay play now verse the beginning of the season that there is more to his leg injury than they are saying.. he isn't applying the same angle to the outside shoulder as he was earlier in the season and putting more pressure on the tackles edge.Not that it is the only reason he is clipping sacks at a high pace but that speed rush on the outside shoulder of the tackles has basically disappeared and I would have to believe the shin/lower leg injury has much to do with it.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
RaiderPride
12 years ago

Had to search for the threads.. only posting what I had posted.. but interesting stuff with this news.

http://packershome.com/tabid/63/g/posts/t/10980/Packer-stats-after-12-games.aspx 

http://packershome.com/tabid/63/g/posts/t/11160/Packer-stars-need-to-step-up.aspx 

Great stuff 93 Z as always.... I can recall your post about his approach/angle. It is kind of funny how on PackerHome fine posts can linger in ones mind for years.

Clay is Jack Youngblood with a softer attitude, but the same intensity.

Most of you youngins will not know what I am typing about here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Youngblood 
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
nerdmann
12 years ago
I had shin splints when I was a kid. It can be painful, but it's really mainly only when you fall on them. I fell playing basket ball and landed on my knees, with my shins straight down into the floor. BAM! My leg wouldn't even support weight for about 10 minutes. Normally they didn't really hurt too much though. They got a little sore from running.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
lol@Shawn,... if he's not patting himself on the back. he's pissing in our cheerios over predictive type threads. 😛 (kidding around with ya, good call)

I still say Clay Matthews III is over rated. He won't get double digit sacks this year.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago

Great stuff 93 Z as always.... I can recall your post about his approach/angle. It is kind of funny how on PackerHome fine posts can linger in ones mind for years.

Clay is Jack Youngblood with a softer attitude, but the same intensity.

Most of you youngins will not know what I am typing about here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Youngblood 

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride 

RP, your assignment today is to post footage of Jack laying out Tommy Kramer, where Kramer was laying on the ground convulsing like he had epilepsy. I can't find footage of it, but it was awesome.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago

RP, your assignment today is to post footage of Jack laying out Tommy Kramer, where Kramer was laying on the ground convulsing like he had epilepsy. I can't find footage of it, but it was awesome.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Wasn't it Jim Youngblood that laid out Kramer?
DakotaT
12 years ago
Maybe it was, I was pretty young. I think the point is that a Viking QB was laying on the ground with shit beat out of him.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Maybe it was, I was pretty young. I think the point is that a Viking QB was laying on the ground with shit beat out of him.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Wait, it was when YOU were young? That means it could have been Peter or Paul, huh?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (6m) : 4th
Zero2Cool (21m) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (2h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (7h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (7h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (22h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (23h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.