porky88
12 years ago
Phil Simms gushes about Jay Cutler in every interview he talks about him, so it's not surprising he would link the win and Cutler's injury together. I would point out that Dom Caper has Jay Cutler's number. Cutler's TD to INT ratio against Dom Capers in Green Bay is down right awful. In fact, if I'm a Bears fan, that is my No. 1 concern heading into the season. How does Cutler beat Capers?

With that said, I agree with the concept of luck. It does play a role and the Packers did get lucky at times last year. They were also unlucky, especially against Miami and Washington. I would argue that the best team in football did not win the Super Bowl a year ago. I would argue the hottest team won the Super Bowl. In many years, that is usually the case. However, if you win multiple Super Bowls as the Patriots have, you have more than just luck. The same will apply to Green Bay if they do it again.
nerdmann
12 years ago
I just liked it, because the Packers are mentioned as a potential dynasty. Nice to see.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
12 years ago

I just liked it, because the Packers are mentioned as a potential dynasty. Nice to see.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Much better than 'ole Vikesrule can say, that's for sure!!
12 years ago

Tramon Williams getting an INT vs Vick is lucky but Urlacher getting an INT on Rodgers in the Redzone is how it's supposed to happen I guess.

Originally Posted by: Stevetarded 

=d>
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
I keep coming back to two things.
1. The Packers won the title despite being one of the youngest teams. (Or was it *the* youngest team? I can't remember their exact ranking.)
2. The Packers won the title despite horrible injury problems. How many people to IR again? Losing Woodson for the second half of the Super Bowl.

The league hasn't even seen what this team is capable of yet.

There's always "any given Sunday" in operation. But barring injury to #12, there's no reason this team can't go deep into the playoffs for the next five years minimum.

And I say that even though I expect to be complaining about the OL for a couple years yet. And even though I think the Lions may be ready to shed their "perpetual loser" mantle and become a serious contender.

This team might not yet be "scary good" in the manner of the 60s-era Packers. But this is the first Packer team since then that may be able to be that good.

Sorry, vikesrule, Formo, and polargrizz....even if your teams weren't self-doomed to ineptitude, they're going to be in bottom half of the division for a long time.
😎 😁

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
nerdmann
12 years ago
"There's no such thing as luck. Only preparation meeting opportunity."
You can say the Packers just "got hot" at the right time. IMHO, I'd say that they underperformed for much of the year before even beginning to live up to their potential.
Not to mention they had half an expansion franchise on IR. LOL. A pretty good one too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Phil Simms gushes about Jay Cutler in every interview he talks about him, so it's not surprising he would link the win and Cutler's injury together. I would point out that Dom Caper has Jay Cutler's number. Cutler's TD to INT ratio against Dom Capers in Green Bay is down right awful. In fact, if I'm a Bears fan, that is my No. 1 concern heading into the season. How does Cutler beat Capers?

With that said, I agree with the concept of luck. It does play a role and the Packers did get lucky at times last year. They were also unlucky, especially against Miami and Washington. I would argue that the best team in football did not win the Super Bowl a year ago. I would argue the hottest team won the Super Bowl. In many years, that is usually the case. However, if you win multiple Super Bowls as the Patriots have, you have more than just luck. The same will apply to Green Bay if they do it again.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Although, I feel I understand the point that luck plays a role, I disagree with the Packers were not the best team in '10 and simply just got hot at the right time perception. Reason being, I'm not sure there were many more teams that were as consistent as the Packers. I believe the Packers never trailed by more than 7 points in any game, nor were they defeated by more than 4 points in any loss. That was luck? They were within a score of taking the lead in any game. They were within a score of winning any of their losses. How many other teams can say that throughout the season? I didn't even mention this was done with a high total of players injured and/or on injured reserve.

What team was better than the Packers in '10? Since the Packers beat the Eagles (#3), Falcons (#1), Bears (#2) all on the road, obviously, none of them. Surely can't be the Steelers because the Packers beat them without Charles Woodson, Sam Shields and Donald Driver in the second half of the Super Bowl. The Patriots maybe? Matt Flyn-led Packers almost took them out on their home turf.

If you're talking about the New Orleans Saints being the hottest team in '09 and not being the best team, I would agree, but I don't know much depth about the team so that claim holds no water. I think the Vikings were the better team in '09 ... God that hurts.

UserPostedImage
porky88
12 years ago

Although, I feel I understand the point that luck plays a role, I disagree with the Packers were not the best team in '10 and simply just got hot at the right time perception. Reason being, I'm not sure there were many more teams that were as consistent as the Packers. I believe the Packers never trailed by more than 7 points in any game, nor were they defeated by more than 4 points in any loss. That was luck? They were within a score of taking the lead in any game. They were within a score of winning any of their losses. How many other teams can say that throughout the season? I didn't even mention this was done with a high total of players injured and/or on injured reserve.

What team was better than the Packers in '10? Since the Packers beat the Eagles (#3), Falcons (#1), Bears (#2) all on the road, obviously, none of them. Surely can't be the Steelers because the Packers beat them without Charles Woodson, Sam Shields and Donald Driver in the second half of the Super Bowl. The Patriots maybe? Matt Flyn-led Packers almost took them out on their home turf.

If you're talking about the New Orleans Saints being the hottest team in '09 and not being the best team, I would agree, but I don't know much depth about the team so that claim holds no water. I think the Vikings were the better team in '09 ... God that hurts.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think the Packers’ run compares to the Giants of 07. The Giants weren’t the best team throughout that season. They got hot at the right time and won the Super Bowl. The best team I saw in 07 was New England and they were the best team I saw in 2010. Many times, it depends on when you're playing somebody. I think the Pack caught the Giants at the right time last year. I think Miami and Washington caught the Packers at the right time.

That isn't to say the Packers didn't deserve to win or backed their way in. They won because of many factors, and if they win it again, that proves an even larger point. Still, I do not think the Packers were the absolute best team in football. They were in the discussion, but the Packers never dominated the competition. In fact, some argue the Packers won too soon, which might point to bigger problems for the rest of the NFL.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I think the Packers’ run compares to the Giants of 07. The Giants weren’t the best team throughout that season. They got hot at the right time and won the Super Bowl. The best team I saw in 07 was New England and they were the best team I saw in 2010. Many times, it depends on when you're playing somebody. I think the Pack caught the Giants at the right time last year. I think Miami and Washington caught the Packers at the right time.

That isn't to say the Packers didn't deserve to win or backed their way in. They won because of many factors, and if they win it again, that proves an even larger point. Still, I do not think the Packers were the absolute best team in football. They were in the discussion, but the Packers never dominated the competition. In fact, some argue the Packers won too soon, which might point to bigger problems for the rest of the NFL.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

The Patriots of '10 lost by 14 and 20 points and only topped a Matt Flynn led Packers by 4 points on their own home turf.

The Packers never lost by more than 4 and never trailed by more than 7 in any game of the season. They also made it to the Super Bowl and won. The Patriots couldn't win a single game in the post season.

I see why one would say a team that was 14 - 2 (best record in NFL) would be considered the best, but again, they didn't even win one game in the post season, when the games count the most. That's hardly the mark of the best team in the NFL.

Edit, wow, Tom Brady 36 TD's and only 4 INT's ... phenomena (Madden like) season lol
UserPostedImage
porky88
12 years ago

The Patriots of '10 lost by 14 and 20 points and only topped a Matt Flynn led Packers by 4 points on their own home turf.

The Packers never lost by more than 4 and never trailed by more than 7 in any game of the season. They also made it to the Super Bowl and won. The Patriots couldn't win a single game in the post season.

I see why one would say a team that was 14 - 2 (best record in NFL) would be considered the best, but again, they didn't even win one game in the post season, when the games count the most. That's hardly the mark of the best team in the NFL.

Edit, wow, Tom Brady 36 TD's and only 4 INT's ... phenomena (Madden like) season lol

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Patriots still won, but all valid points, which is why Green Bay is in the discussion. I would point out NE went to Chicago and won 36-7. On the same field, Sam Shields had to stop a third string QB from forcing overtime in the NFC Title. The Bears also defeated the Packers on that field earlier in the year.

NE went to Detroit and won. The Lions played the Packers as well as anybody last year and beat them at Ford Field. The Patriots dominated the Dolphins twice last year. Miami was the only team to defeat Green Bay in Lambeau.

My main point is the Packers didn't separate themselves from anybody last year. Very few teams do, which is why there are very few all-time seasons. It doesn’t take anything away from Packer lore. Every Super Bowl story is unique. The Packers overcoming their injuries is an amazing achievement, but they were not dominating.

Personally, I think the Packers won in a year when they probably shouldn’t have. It was only Aaron Rodgers’ third year as a starter, which says something about his quality. They still are among the youngest teams in the NFL and they had all those injuries. For a while there, it was almost as if something wasn't working in the Packers' favor.

I know everybody loves to look back and I will remember every season. Hey, I rewatch many games, but I would be surprised 10 years from now if the 2010 Packers go down as the best of the Rodgers/Mike McCarthy/Ted Thompson era. They were a streaky team, but for what it's worth, I think the very near future Packer team(s) will.
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.