DakotaT
12 years ago
I would say adversity tests your character, but doesn't build your character. You either have the nads to handle shit or you don't. Now I'll go as far as to say that all the things I have been through in my life prepared me for this last year with Mia, but my wife was not prepared in any way, shape, or form because of growing up in fairytale land. So therefore I guess my formitive years ended up being a blessing in disguise.

But to say I am a better man because of all of it is BS. I may have understanding of things because of it, but I was a pretty happy, thoughtful, beautiful person prior to my hard knocks and will not subscribe to that line of thinking that all of this has improved me.

I am hard and unempathetic to many things that people regularly complain about. This is not a good thing, but it is a direct reaction to my life as it has played out. When I hear a wealthy person that went from their Daddy's couche, to the frat house, to their 6 figure salary sitting in a soft chair complain about welfare and taxes - I seriously want to rip his head off. But this person has the right to his opinion because afterall, he is only a product of his environment as am I.

Anyway back on point - "DakotaT's family can now see the light at the end of the tunnel."

Thanks for all the help boys.
UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago

Yeah, but if you get stronger because of your mindset, it is not really the circumstances of your life making you stronger, but your own decisions and determination -- which was my point all along.

Speaking of quotes of the day, here's the latest excuse for calling in sick:

Sorry I can't come in today. I've a touch of the womb fury.[happy] [roflmao]

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I'm going back on my word. I'll end my post with a quote to make up for it.

Exactly. It ALWAYS is your own decision/determination that makes one stronger. But sometimes (hell, even most of the time) it takes adversity or ill-gotten circumstances to expose this. Thus, tying one's mindset to the bad circumstances. Anyway, as far as I understand it, we pretty much agree just are coming from different ends of the spectrum (me not being a details guy and you analyzing the semantics). =)

When I am abroad, I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the government of my own country. I make up for lost time when I come home. - Sir Winston Churchill
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
This one should be used as a signature by someone. 🤔

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I once translated this into German as Ich sagte nie, dass du die Schuld hast. Ich sagte nur, dass ich dir die Schuld gäbe. ("I never said it was your fault -- I just said I would blame you.")
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
12 years ago

I once translated this into German as Ich sagte nie, dass du die Schuld hast. Ich sagte nur, dass ich dir die Schuld geben würde. ("I never said it was your fault -- I just said I would blame you.")

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I thought this would end with a funny anecdote... Now I'm just dissapointed.

"Nom Nom Nom" - Cookie Monster.
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago

I thought this would end with a funny anecdote... Now I'm just dissapointed.

"Nom Nom Nom" - Cookie Monster.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Cookie monster is best post yet. Thumb up for you.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Well, I originally translated the saying as Ich sagte nie, dass du die Schuld hast. Ich sagte nur, dass ich dir die Schuld gäbe. A native German walked into the common area of the Studentenwohnheim where I was staying at the time, read the sign, and asked, "What does gäbe mean?" I was floored that a native speaker wouldn't understand a perfectly grammatical sentence, so I dutifully changed it to Ich sagte nie, dass du die Schuld hast. Ich sagte nur, dass ich dir die Schuld geben würde (which means exactly the same thing), and then he got it.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago
^ so wise. so flexible. so accommodating.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago
A timely quote of my own making...

"Without opposing forces in life, one cannot expect to develop and maintain a collective balance."

In other words.. do you define the course of your life or do you learn as you go through life, adjust and it partial develops you?

To me.. it is irrational to think that life events themselves do not develop you as a human being..  it is your choice in weather they shape you in a positive or negative effect.

Basically... all of us are dealt negatives in life.. learning to deal with them and more importantly utilize them positively is the trick.

Without that.. we all become a "victim". IMO.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
12 years ago
Now back on topic..

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

And lastly...

"One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures." -George W. Bush

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"