wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Should The Packers Re-Sign All Their Unrestricted Free Agents? 

Just to follow up on Kevin's earlier article, I think the scramble to sign free agents, unrestricted, restricted, and undrafted, is going to be intense once it starts. The Green Bay Packers might want to play it safe and re-sign their own free agents as quickly as possible.

The recent progress in negotiations looks real because the owners don't appear to be up in arms about going back to a system that guarantees the players a percentage of revenue (instead of a fixed dollar amount as they wanted earlier). Based on the percentage of revenue the players are going to receive, I think there's going to be a cash floor that each team is going to have to spend. And I think teams are going to find themselves below it because they've been cautious signing free agents over the past couple years. Some teams could be looking to spend.

The free agent rush is expected to be like a reality show stampede, and while some teams are going to be looking to target players they've had on their radar for a while, the Packers might play it safe and lock up their own players quickly. They're probably better off keeping their own players then going after others they might not know as well. The one exception is that I still expect another team has DE Cullen Jenkins on their radar, and he'll sign elsewhere quickly.

There is a risk they'll overpay for someone, but at the same time each player might want to sign the first reasonable deal offered so they aren't lost in the free agent shuffle. While some teams could take that advice the wrong way and throw crazy dollars at a player, I don't expect the Packers to do that under any circumstances. Instead of letting a player test the water, like they did with LT Chad Clifton last year, they might want to make sure that the first offer Daryn Colledge, Mason Crosby, James Jones, and John Kuhn sees is from them.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Who Will Return 

Now that we know who the Green Bay Packers unrestricted free agents will be, we can tell you who’s likely to be back and who isn’t.

For several players, the writing is on the wall — they’ve played their last game with the Packers. Here’s a look at who’s likely coming back and who’s likely gone, based on the likelihood of their return.

Cullen Jenkins — 0 percent
If the Packers wanted Jenkins back, they would have done something before now. The defensive end approached the team about an extension prior to last season and even said he’d take less money to stay in Green Bay. The team hasn’t even discussed a new contract with him. His age (30) and injury history mean he’s moving on.

Atari Bigby — 0 percent
In March, coach Mike McCarthy termed Bigby’s future with the Packers a “business decision,” which is code for “we won’t be re-signing Atari Bigby.” The team has Morgan Burnett coming back from an injury and they re-signed Charlie Peprah before the lockout. Bigby, who did not receive a tender offer before the lockout, is constantly injured and the Packers have no need for him.

Matt Wilhelm — 5 percent
Wilhelm is an inside linebacker. The Packers are stacked at inside linebacker. The only reason he was on the team in 2010 was because the position was decimated by injury. If Wilhelm has any chance of returning, it’s because he’s a valuable special teams player. With all the talent they already have on the roster, keeping a guy around to play on special teams doesn’t make sense.

Jason Spitz — 15 percent
Has there been a player on the Packers’ roster that has regressed more than Spitz? In 2008 he started 16 games at guard and played well. In 2009, Spitz began the year as the team’s starting center, but a back injury derailed him and he couldn’t unseat Scott Wells when he returned. Since then, Spitz has played terribly. Whether the back injury or his confidence is to blame, the Packers have more talented backups waiting in the wings.

Daryn Colledge — 25 percent
Colledge has been a durable starter for the Packers, but he’s easily the weakest link among the team’s starting offensive linemen. The Packers made it fairly clear they were ready to move on by not discussing an extension with the guard during the season. A team with a hole at guard will pay Colledge more than the Packers. The team has capable players like T.J. Lang ready to step in.

James Jones — 30 percent
This isn’t so much a question of the Packers wanting Jones back, because they’d definitely take him at the right price. It’s more a question of the market. There are receiver-hungry teams out there and Jones will get a big payday and a chance to start from one of them. Those are two things he won’t get in Green Bay.

Korey Hall — 50 percent
The only fullback currently under contract is Quinn Johnson and we know the Packers love fullbacks. Still, this is probably the year the Packers keep fewer than three on the roster. Hall is a core special teams player, but rarely plays on offense. It’s possible that gets him a new contract, but he’ll have to fight for a roster spot once training camp begins. Perhaps the biggest thing working in Hall’s favor to return is there won’t be much of a market for him.

Brandon Jackson — 50 percent
The Packers drafted running back Alex Green in the third round, adding him to an already crowded backfield that includes Ryan Grant and James Starks. It’s hard to see Jackson fitting into that backfield, but the Packers value his ability in pass protection, which is an area Green will take some getting used to. There isn’t expected to be a huge market for Jackson, either, and those reasons could be enough to get him a deal with the Packers.

John Kuhn — 60 percent
Kuhn has already said he expects to return to Green Bay and he’s the team’s best fullback. He also proved himself as a solid short-yardage back in 2010. Plus, he’s a folk hero. The Packers won’t break the bank to re-sign him, but there’s a good chance Kuhn returns. That is, unless another team decides to throw big money at him.

Anthony Smith — 75 percent
Smith is nothing more than a backup, but he’s a decent insurance policy. He won’t cost much and the Packers won’t have much competition for his services. Smith plays better in the 3-4 than the 4-3, so that somewhat limits his options. He also seemed to say he plans to return to Green Bay and expects a deal when the lockout ends on Twitter.

Mason Croby — 90 percent
We know the Packers want to re-sign Crosby. We know Crosby wants to return. It seems unlikely another team will try to outbid the Packers for Crosby and his mediocre resume. If you’re betting, this is as close to a sure thing as you’ll get in free agency.

UserPostedImage
beast
12 years ago

I think the Packers might be more willing to resign Colledge than Jones. Behind Jones is Nelson and Cobb. Behind Colledge there is Lang and McDonald, which Mike McCarthy expressed his disappointment in Lang not making a jump from year 1 to year 2 (probably because he couldn't train during last offseason because of recovering from surgery) and McDonald was a UDFA rookie last year... I see potential in both of them... just not sure if they're ready to make the jump or not.

While Korey Hall has been injured a lot he according to NFL.com he has started at least 5 games every year. Kuhn has only started more games than Hall in one season according to NFL.com stats. To me it seemed like when both healthy they like using Hall in between the 25 or 30 yard lines, and the like using Kuhn outside of them.

Did Anthony Smith can a tender offer?
UserPostedImage
Yerko
12 years ago
I would switch 2 players on the list.

Brandon Jackson- 30% because of Ryan Grant returning, James Stark showing up in the post season, and Alex Green taking over for Brandon Jackson. I think there would be some teams looking for Brandon Jackson's skill set (Indianapolis Colts come to mind.)

James Jones- 50% because the Packers would sign him in a heartbeat, for the right price...and maybe a little more depending on if what he is asking for isn't completely outrageous. Then we have Jennings, Jones/Nelson, Driver, Cobb with a side of Finley. Bye bye Swain.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

I would switch 2 players on the list.

Brandon Jackson- 30% because of Ryan Grant returning, James Stark showing up in the post season, and Alex Green taking over for Brandon Jackson. I think there would be some teams looking for Brandon Jackson's skill set (Indianapolis Colts come to mind.)

James Jones- 50% because the Packers would sign him in a heartbeat, for the right price...and maybe a little more depending on if what he is asking for isn't completely outrageous. Then we have Jennings, Jones/Nelson, Driver, Cobb with a side of Finley. Bye bye Swain.

Originally Posted by: G-Force 

As for B-Jack, it also depends on the new RB coach. I know with Edgar Bennett, B-Jack got praise because of his blocking abilities. Bennett wants his RBs to be able to protect Aaron like Edgar himself protected Brett Favre. But he's no longer the RB coach.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
DakotaT
12 years ago
Don't understanding the B. Jackson love from Packer fans and probably never will. 2nd round draft pick waste if you ask me. His greatest quality is blocking? WTF? The kid has absolutley no vision running from scrimmage. He was billed a zone blocking scheme running back. Well, he's had ample opportunity to prove that and failed miserably. Good riddance, if it were up to me he could start packing his bags right now.

We are however, indepted to B-Jackson for Urlacher losing his jock strap on a frozen Soldier Field in the most important game of the rivalry's history.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
You render me more superfluous and redundant everyday, good sir.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Don't understanding the B. Jackson love from Packer fans and probably never will. 2nd round draft pick waste if you ask me. His greatest quality is blocking? WTF? The kid has absolutley no vision running from scrimmage. He was billed a zone blocking scheme running back. Well, he's had ample opportunity to prove that and failed miserably. Good riddance, if it were up to me he could start packing his bags right now.

We are however, indepted to B-Jackson for Urlacher losing his jock strap on a frozen Soldier Field in the most important game of the rivalry's history.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I'm not going to cry if he's gone. However, he's a good 3rd down back.

Note I specifically said 3rd down back.

What I didn't say is he's a good 1st & 2nd down back. He's not. He's already proven that.

I'm calling things as I see them. On 3rd down, you want a guy who can block if he had to or catch a screen and get a 1st down if he had to. That's what B-Jack is for.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
nerdmann
12 years ago
Dude signed with Drew Rosenhaus. He's gone.
I didn't think it was a wasted pick. He's a solid player. Ted Thompson likes solid players. (SEE: Hawk, A.J.) I don't think he's a great fit for the zBS though.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rockmolder
12 years ago

I'm not going to cry if he's gone. However, he's a good 3rd down back.

Note I specifically said 3rd down back.

What I didn't say is he's a good 1st & 2nd down back. He's not. He's already proven that.

I'm calling things as I see them. On 3rd down, you want a guy who can block if he had to or catch a screen and get a 1st down if he had to. That's what B-Jack is for.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Insert Green.

Or Starks. I mean, in between being Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders combined, I bet he still has some time to catch a ball or two on 3rd down, or throw some DEs around Reggie White vs Cris Carter style.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (2h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (6h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
37m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.