millertime
12 years ago
I know we have some significant free agents of our own (Jones,Jenkins, Colledge, Crosby), but does anyone else get the sneaky feeling that ted might sign a couple guys this offseason? I know this is currently moot, with the lockout, but with so many young players potentially available, I think I could see Ted going after 1 or 2 guys to round out this roster. No big name guys (Sidney Rice, Asomugha, etc), but some young depth guys (think Pickett, Chillar).

I know we have big negotiations coming up with guys like Sitton and Finley, so we need to save some money. What are your feelings/gut telling you about this offseason?

List of free agents 
millertime
12 years ago

I know we have some significant free agents of our own (Jones,Jenkins, Colledge, Crosby), but does anyone else get the sneaky feeling that ted might sign a couple guys this offseason? I know this is currently moot, with the lockout, but with so many young players potentially available, I think I could see Ted going after 1 or 2 guys to round out this roster. No big name guys (Sidney Rice, Asomugha, etc), but some young depth guys (think Pickett, Chillar).

I know we have big negotiations coming up with guys like Sitton and Finley, so we need to save some money. What are your feelings/gut telling you about this offseason?

List of free agents 

Originally Posted by: millertime 

Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
The only FAs I see Ted Thompson getting are the undrafted kind. No big names.

Asamugha would be nice but too many people want him. Ted Thompson won't get into a bidding war.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
beast
12 years ago
I think the current sign of Packers FAs to be is something like

UFAs:
RB Brandon Jackson
FB Korey Hall
FB John Kuhn
WR James Jones
G Daryn Colledge
G Jason Spitz
DE Cullen Jenkins
LB Matt Wilhelm
S Atari Bigby
S Anthony Smith
K Mason Crosby

RFAs:
TE Spencer Havner
WR Brett Swain

UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
12 years ago
I don't think Ted goes into any Free Agency period thinking "I'm not signing anyone this year". It just depends on how the players fall. If there are some decent players left over after the first week or so he may give some offers but I don't see him making a "splash"or anything.
blank
beast
12 years ago

Of the FA Packers, I expect them to sign Crosby, a FB (probably Kuhn), both RFAs, one of bigger value 3 (Colledge, Jenkins and Jones) and 1 to 3 of the smaller value guys (Jackson, Spitz, Hall, Smith, Bigby)

My guess of the bigger 3, Colledge is the most likely. Of the smaller 5 Jackson, Hall (for STs) and Spitz are most likely but one of the Safety has a chance too.

Because of the uncertain rules for 2011 season teams could try to tender 4th and 5th year players. I didn't read of Spitz, Hall, Smith, Bigby, or Havner getting tenders.

==================

This is a good FA class of OG

Carl Nicks (NO), Logan Mankins (NE), Davin Joseph (TB), Harvey Dahl (ATL), Daryn Colledge (GB), Justin Blalock (ATL), Chris Chester (BAL) and Marshal Yanda (BAL)

==================

I could see Thompson looking into Nnamdi Asomugha and seeing what he's looking for... no way is Thompson going to be the top dollar amount but one reporter who is said to be very close with the Raiders players (no idea if it's true) said he expects Nnamdi to sign with the Packers or Jets, and he didn't say it out right but it sounded like the top most important things for Nnamdi were playing with another good/great CB so he isn't always jut avoided and having a real shot at winning a Super Bowl. Also Nnamdi and Woodson are said to be good friends.

That being said it sounds like a couple of teams including the Eagles, Jets, Falcons among others will be trying hard to sign Nnamdi and probably offer more money and were also in the playoffs.

UserPostedImage
millertime
12 years ago

Of the FA Packers, I expect them to sign Crosby, a FB (probably Kuhn), both RFAs, one of bigger value 3 (Colledge, Jenkins and Jones) and 1 to 3 of the smaller value guys (Jackson, Spitz, Hall, Smith, Bigby)

My guess of the bigger 3, Colledge is the most likely. Of the smaller 5 Jackson, Hall (for STs) and Spitz are most likely but one of the Safety has a chance too.

Because of the uncertain rules for 2011 season teams could try to tender 4th and 5th year players. I didn't read of Spitz, Hall, Smith, Bigby, or Havner getting tenders.

==================

This is a good FA class of OG

Carl Nicks (NO), Logan Mankins (NE), Davin Joseph (TB), Harvey Dahl (ATL), Daryn Colledge (GB), Justin Blalock (ATL), Chris Chester (BAL) and Marshal Yanda (BAL)

==================

I could see Thompson looking into Nnamdi Asomugha and seeing what he's looking for... no way is Thompson going to be the top dollar amount but one reporter who is said to be very close with the Raiders players (no idea if it's true) said he expects Nnamdi to sign with the Packers or Jets, and he didn't say it out right but it sounded like the top most important things for Nnamdi were playing with another good/great CB so he isn't always jut avoided and having a real shot at winning a Super Bowl. Also Nnamdi and Woodson are said to be good friends.

That being said it sounds like a couple of teams including the Eagles, Jets, Falcons among others will be trying hard to sign Nnamdi and probably offer more money and were also in the playoffs.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I was thinking that an offensive guard might be an interesting prospect. We got McDonald and Lang right now fighting for the LG spot, neither are sure bets to be an effective starter or even make the team next year. Bringing in another young guy to compete (not a bonafide starter like Dahl, Joseph, or Nicks) seems like a Ted thing to do. Same thing on DL.
beast
12 years ago

I was thinking that an offensive guard might be an interesting prospect. We got McDonald and Lang right now fighting for the LG spot, neither are sure bets to be an effective starter or even make the team next year. Bringing in another young guy to compete (not a bonafide starter like Dahl, Joseph, or Nicks) seems like a Ted thing to do. Same thing on DL.

Originally Posted by: millertime 

If you take out the "bonafide starter"s (Nicks, Mankins, Joseph and Dahl) who's the next best option? I don't a lot of people will say not Colledge but Colledge had good moments as well as his bad. It's just that good moments by linemen are a lot harder to see than bad. But one thing is clear to me... Colledge plays his best in the season when he has to compete for his spot in training camp.

So who's the next best?

Daryn Colledge (GB), Justin Blalock (ATL), Chris Chester (BAL) or Marshal Yanda (BAL)

I think that could be a tough call... and Colledge has already been on the team for years. Knows the system, the coaches and how everything normally goes.

UserPostedImage
macbob
12 years ago
Here's GB Press Gazette's take on free agency this year. Figures Ted will be conservative again this year pursuing other team's FA, so it focuses primarily on our own.

Here's a quick summary for those who don't want to read the entire article:

Stay
Crosby
Kuhn
A.Smith

Go
Jenkins
Jones
Colledge
Bigby
Spitz
Wilhelm
Bell

50-50
BJack
Hall

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110618/PKR01/110618032/Analysis-Who-ll-stay-leave-free-agency-?odyssey=tab |topnews|img|FRONTPAGE

Green Bay Packers unrestricted free agents' prospects are mixed

by Pete Dougherty

When it comes to pursuing other teams’ free agents, there’s no reason to think the Green Bay Packers’ approach will change one iota from General Manager Ted Thompson’s modus operandi since 2005.

Coming off a Super Bowl win, there’s no reason to think Thompson will stray from his annual indifference to other teams’ players on the open market.

But the Packers still figure to be at least waist deep in the unprecedented signing frenzy that will start if and when the NFL and its players agree on a new collective bargaining agreement.

Reports in the last week or so suggest a CBA could be finished soon, perhaps by early to mid July. When it’s signed, the start of free agency will soon follow, maybe within a couple days, and in a drastically compressed signing period Thompson will be looking to bring back at least a few of the Packers’ 12 likely unrestricted free agents, plus add the undrafted rookies the NFL lockout rules prohibited teams from pursuing after the draft.

If the CBA is finished in early or mid July, teams will presumably get a couple of days to digest the new salary-cap rules and at least have a one- or two-week period to sign players before training camps open in late July.

If the deal isn’t finished until closer to the start of camps, or after camps were scheduled to have opened, most of the signings and the beginning of camps could overlap in an especially chaotic time for front offices, coaches and players.

Teams are working from the assumption that the new CBA will return eligibility for unrestricted free agency to four years service, the same as it was from 1993 through 2009. That’s not guaranteed but is the most likely outcome of the pending CBA talks.

Less certain is how the CBA will handle restricted free agency this season.

In past years, teams had a late-February deadline to tender offers to restricted free agents (i.e., players with three years of service whose contracts had run out), and then the restricted market was open from the start of the league year in early March until the week before the draft. If another team signed a player to an offer sheet, his original team had a week to decide whether to match.

Facing the compressed signing period, it’s unclear whether the owners and players will agree to cancel restricted free agency for this year only, or offer it in abbreviated form. They could, for instance, shorten the restricted signing period to a few days or a week, and give teams only one day to match an offer a player signs with another club.

No matter the rules, teams will have to be ready for fast decisions and lightning negotiations on restricted and unrestricted free agents alike. They’ve had an extended offseason to plan, so they at least can go in with well-thought priorities. But they still will be deciding numerous important personnel matters over just a few days.

Following is a look at the Packers’ unrestricted free agents, assuming the next CBA sets free-agent eligibility at four years service, and the likelihood of each player re-signing with the Packers:

DE Cullen Jenkins: A good bet to leave after the Packers made no attempt to extend his contract last season. Thompson’s history suggests he thinks Jenkins’ age (30) and injury history make him too risky for a major investment, especially with standouts such as tight end Jermichael Finley, receiver Greg Jennings and quarterback Aaron Rodgers likely in line for new contracts in the next couple years, and with linebacker Clay Matthews and nose tackle B.J. Raji coming up thereafter. Jenkins should draw major interest as an inside pass rusher and might fetch $15 million to $20 million in guaranteed money on the open market. The Chicago Bears are believed to be especially interested.

K Mason Crosby: Probably is at the top of the Packers’ priority list. He’s missed more kicks than his talent would warrant – his 78.1 percent career field-goal accuracy is under the 80 percent minimum teams shoot for – but he’s only 26, has a live leg and functions fine in a bad kicking climate. Capable kickers are hard to find, as the Packers discovered after Ryan Longwell left in free agency, so Crosby has plenty of value for them.

WR James Jones: Probably will leave for a team that pays him starter’s money. If the Packers were inclined to pay him at that level, they probably would have done so last season. They drafted Randall Cobb in the second round this year in part to protect against Jones’ possible departure. Jones should attract significant interest, though if the market is unexpectedly depressed, he could return.

G Daryn Colledge: More likely than not will leave for a team with a big hole at guard. Hasn’t missed a game in five seasons, but the Packers appear averse to bidding for him because they’re ready to play young linemen such as T.J. Lang and first-round pick Derek Sherrod.

RB Brandon Jackson: The chances of his return are probably 50-50. He might have more value to the Packers than other teams because he’s proven proficient at picking up blitzes in a passing-down role in their scheme. That said, competition for playing time and even a roster spot will be tougher this year with Ryan Grant back from injury, James Starks showing promise late last season and the drafting of Hawaii’s Alex Green in the third round. It’s unclear whether Jackson will draw much interest on the open market because he hasn’t produced much as a runner, and every year brings a new corps of young backs that teams are looking to develop.

FB John Kuhn: A good bet to re-sign with the Packers. Should have more value for them than other teams because he’s entrenched in the system and has performed fine at halfback when injuries wiped out that position.

FB Korey Hall: Only an even bet to return, assuming the Packers re-sign Kuhn. The Packers also have Quinn Johnson at fullback, and he’s finished strong in each of his first two seasons. Hall’s value is as a core special-teams player. It’s questionable whether the Packers want three fullbacks on their roster for a third straight season.

S Atari Bigby: Former starter appears unlikely to return because of his injury history. He missed 26 of 53 games over the last three seasons, playoffs included.

C-G Jason Spitz: Likely will sign with another team because the Packers have several young interior linemen coming up. However, if the market is light, he could return. Wasn’t the same player last year after undergoing major back surgery in 2009, but maybe another offseason of rehabilitation will revitalize him.

S Anthony Smith: More likely than not will re-sign. The Packers are his best chance to stay in the league. He’s played in their version of a 3-4 defense for most of his career. The coaching staff liked him enough to convince Thompson to trade for him last season after the GM cut him in 2009.

LB Matt Wilhelm: The 30-year-old is unlikely to return after the Packers signed him in the middle of last season to shore up special teams.

CB Josh Bell: Won’t be back after the Packers tried unsuccessfully to sign an injury settlement with him last season. Spent all of 2010 on injured reserve because of a broken foot.

GBPressGazette wrote:

UserPostedImage
Yerko
12 years ago
Would really like to see Ted Thompson work on the FA's from the Packers, that make sense (which I know he will). Crosby and Kuhn first and foremost. Then it is a 3 way tie between Jones, Colledge, and Jenkins. Jones would be my first choice. I think there is valid back-up for Jenkins and Colledge vacancies.

An obvious dream for any fan is for their team to sign Asomugha. If the Packers were somehow able to magically land Aso...my God.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (18m) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (4h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (4h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (21h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (22h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

55m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.