nerdmann
13 years ago
Lockout'11: Packers' QB school falls victim

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/25625/lockout11-packers-qb-school-falls-victim 

The NFL lockout could end next month or next year. No matter when it concludes, however, the Green Bay Packers have already canceled one of their most successful offseason events.

The time has come and gone for coach Mike McCarthy's renowned "quarterback school," an intensive and top-secret program designed to give his most important players a head start on the season. It's possible that a truncated version could be revived if the lockout ends soon, but McCarthy was already lamenting its demise last week at the NFL owners meeting.

"To me, March is the most important time of year for a young quarterback," McCarthy said. "March and April, I've always felt, is when you get your individual improvement. That opportunity has obviously gone by the wayside."

Most players weren't scheduled to return for the Packers' offseason program until next month, but absent a lockout, quarterbacks Matt Flynn and Graham Harrell would have been in a Lambeau Field classroom for the past three weeks. (McCarthy said he isn't sure if he would have asked starter Aaron Rodgers to attend every session.) Among other things, the quarterback school would have given Harrell the opportunity to develop and demonstrate enough progress to secure the No. 2 job if the Packers got a strong trade offer for Flynn, another product of the program.

I innocently asked McCarthy what happens at his quarterback school. He smiled and said, "That's top-secret stuff, man" before emphasizing that he follows all of the NFL's offseason rules for offseason player participation.

The concept began, McCarthy said, when he started as an NFL assistant in the early 1990s.

"Particularly in the old days, you draft a young quarterback and he goes and sits in a corner and he takes all the notes," he said. "Then all of a sudden you get to [the next] March, and they say, 'You know, I didn't want to ask a question in front of the other guys but I never knew what the hell you were talking about.' So and you're like, 'I just spent a year with this guy and he doesn't know the base protections.' That was a big moment for me personally when I was a position coach."

So on the first day of quarterback school, the Packers "go back to page one," McCarthy said. That means reviewing how to call for a huddle and moving from there. In recent years, McCarthy asked Rodgers to present some of the information as a way to mix it up and keep things interesting for a veteran group.

"Each year, as he goes through it, you try to eliminate some of the redundancies," McCarthy said, "but it's to give those young quarterbacks that chance to go back to square one every year. You learn the base protections, all the adjustments, I've been in the same offense since 1989, and I still learn something new each year. You're never too experienced or been in it long enough to not find a better way this year.

"Because today's game, it's just a big circle. The NFL is just a circle of adjustments, whether it's the 3-4, or whether it's the 4-3, whether you're spreading them out or running the ball. You really don't run new plays. There are so many great coaches and players that have come before us and you're just reinventing the stuff that have been done over history. You try to stay one step ahead of your opponents."

In McCarthy's world, the quickest way to that point is to have multiple quarterbacks who know what they're doing. The Packers should have that this year with or without a quarterback school. But as with the case of the Minnesota Vikings' pre-draft minicamp, the lockout has already eliminated an opportunity for further progress.

"ESPN" wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
13 years ago
Why would it suck to be Graham Harrell. He'll be the backup QB in another year for sure, maybe even this year.
UserPostedImage
coltonja
13 years ago

Why would it suck to be Graham Harrell. He'll be the backup QB in another year for sure, maybe even this year.

"DakotaT" wrote:

It sucks because he loses valuable time with McCarthy to develop his individual skills.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
millertime
13 years ago
It really sucks for Flynn and Harrell. Harrell had the chance to prove he could be a #2 QB. If McCarthy saw enough in promise or develpoment in Harrell, he would probably have given Ted the blessing to trade Flynn for a pick now, before he bolts in a couple years for a chance to start.

Harrell lost the chance at a promotion, Flynn lost a chance at starting position somewhere else.

In the end, I think it's in our best interest to keep Flynn. We know he can keep us competitive if A-Rod goes down. Our window is now, no reason to risk so much, for a small future gain.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (8h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (8h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (8h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (8h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (8h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (11h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (15h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (15h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.