Pack93z
13 years ago
[youtube]r2RwRi2TjA0[/youtube]
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
13 years ago
I normally leave this alone, and the Marines birthday and Vets day has passed.

I just want to share what I personally like in the midst of everyone remembering those sacrifices, etc. --- The Corps honors, but they do not fuck around about it. They are still engaged, big-time.

This is the message they see from the Commandant and the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps.

Shawn, this time, I'd appreciate it if you watched. The whole damn thing, sorry... And I know you will.

It's not about the Marines, it's about that generation...The Corps has good PR (Your dad will like that one, lol)

As an example---

In the Vid...

Listen carefully from an old man that conveys an understatement in a profoundly cool way.

While I didn't go to boot camp , I like to think I can be proud to call myself a Marine

-- and botched it a little...

He is making that statement while the Medal of Honor is draped around his neck.

[youtube]I8tcCrUCT5w[/youtube]

The old fella knows how to roll, lol

Neat, huh?

This could just as easily be the Army or Navy, etc.--- This is where we are in the military, according to them, FWIW.
Pack93z
13 years ago

I did my duty.. I protected my men, they protected me.. prouder of that then the metal they hung upon my neck.

I don't know if it can be said better than that...

As I said in the past.. Dad doesn't speak much about his time in the service.. but the bond he has with the others that made it back defines it more than any words he speaks about it could.

De oppresso liber

Thanks for Posting that Foster..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
13 years ago
A Wisconsin tie.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40195527/ns/politics-white_house/?GT1=43001 

NEW YORK One morning a little more than 41 years ago, four of us all soldiers marched with the president from the Oval Office into the blinding sunshine. We mounted a low platform on the South Lawn under a bright blue, cloudless sky, and during a short ceremony, we were presented with Medals of Honor by Richard M. Nixon. [img_r]http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/101115_giunta.grid-4x2.jpg[/img_r]

One by one, a name and citation was read aloud, and then the president fastened a medal, hanging on a ribbon, around each neck. In just a few minutes our lives were forever changed.

Not much of the event is still clear to me. I vaguely recall that Nixon wore makeup and that he gave a major policy speech at the end of the ceremony. In the East Room, where we had gathered before the ceremony, the refreshments were stale. In the Oval Office, the president asked me if I was nervous, and I nervously said I wasnt.

But the one thing that I recall most vividly is that there were thousands of people standing on the grass to witness the event. That morning the gates to the South Lawn were thrown open, and absolutely anyone could enter the White House grounds and watch the ceremony.
Jack Jacobs' Newsvine blog

Government employees were excused from work to attend. There were people as far as I could see thousands of them pushed all the way back to the wrought iron fence that ringed the grounds. Security was a much different, much simpler affair back then. Today, you cant drive or fly near the place, and pretty soon you wont be able to walk anywhere near it either.

On Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2010, Army Staff Sergeant Salvatore Giunta receives a Medal of Honor for his service in Afghanistan. He will become the first living recipient since Vietnam to receive the honor for action in a war still being fought on foreign soil.

At 27 years old, he is less than half the age of the next oldest recipient, and he is so young that he could, in time, be the only one left alive.

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/article/20101116/WDH0101/101116086/1581&located=rss 

MCFARLAND A Wisconsin father who lost his soldier son in an Afghanistan firefight is attending the Medal of Honor ceremony Tuesday for the sergeant who tried to save him.

U.S. Army Sgt. Salvatore Giunta is being awarded the militarys highest honor for his actions during an attack in Korengal Valley in October 2007. The military says Giunta engaged the enemy in gunfire to prevent ambushers from carrying away Sgt. Joshua Brennan, who had been wounded. Brennan died later at a hospital.

His father, Mike Brennan of McFarland, tells WISC-TV that family members are grateful for Giuntas heroism because theyve been able to bury their loved one.

About 100 guests will attend the ceremony, including Giuntas unit, the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team.

istanbulpacker
13 years ago

I was reading about this one blogger once who before a kid was shipped off to the recent wars, he was having dinner with his parents. He overheard that he was being shipped over, called over the waitress and asked to take the tab for them.

I've thought about doing the same. Never did it though. One of these days...

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Had this happen to me a few times when I was just a lowly midshipman out in town for my one night of liberty. On $50 a month, it literally meant I had one night a month. After dinner and cab fare to the movies, tickets, popcorn, etc, I was tapped out.

Every time it has happened to me, it has always been anonymously. We would be a table of 4-5 friends all in uniform. Order our meals, have our fun. Ready to leave, we'd signal for the check. When the waitress would inform us that someone picked up our tab in thanks for our service, we'd look around. She'd inform us the patron had left.

That's the way to do it right there. Made me feel so damn proud to be an American that folks would still do that. And to do it without the adulation or thanks of anyone. Just the quiet knowledge that they did something nice for someone else. Class Act.
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.