Announcement Submit your NFL Pick'em Week One picks for 2024 Season! Click HERE
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
2 months ago

This could mark the end of the league’s salary cap era, among other changes.

The NFL has been battling a major lawsuit over the past several months, one that involves their out-of-market game package: NFL Sunday Ticket. The argument was that the NFL violated antitrust laws with the package, due to the nature of out-of-market games being exclusively shown on Sunday Ticket.

On Thursday, a jury ordered the NFL to pay $96 million in damages to the commercial class, which includes the 48,000 businesses that paid for NFL Sunday Ticket from 2011 to 2022, and $4 billion to the residential class, which covers the 2.4 million residential subscribers of the package over the same period.

Because this was a federal antitrust case, $4 billion is allowed to balloon to $12 billion. For reference, the plaintiffs were asking for $21 billion in this case, so they could receive north of half of their requested number. Per Sportico , the NFL’s revenue last season was $19 billion, which means that if the $12 billion number sticks after a presumed series of appeals, it will almost certainly impact the league’s salary cap — at the very least.

Recently, Dallas Cowboys  owner Jerry Jones stated that he would actually be against a salary cap if teams were allowed to sell their individual out-of-market rights — which is almost assured to be part of the fallout of the NFL Sunday Ticket package. Get ready to hear a lot of that in the coming weeks, months and years, as owners of richer teams will likely try to make up the losses they’re taking in this lawsuit by blocking other clubs from revenue sharing.

Essentially, this case boiled down to whether the NFL’s antitrust exemptions for their broadcast applied to paid television, rather than just over-the-air broadcasts. Ultimately, the jury found in favor of the plaintiffs.

The league’s current television broadcast agreements run through 2033, but the NFL would likely have to renegotiate with FOX and CBS, their early and late game Sunday partners, if the structure of out-of-market broadcasts does change. For perspective, those two partners pay $4.3 million billion a year for their games while YouTube TV is dishing out $2 billion a year for NFL Sunday Ticket. To say the least, this will have a significant financial impact on the league.

Per a league memo that the Associated Press reported on , the NFL once looked at putting out-of-market Sunday games on cable television with FS1, ESPN, ESPN2, TBS, TNT, NFL Network and CBS Sports Network being landing spots. Under that structure, cable networks would have broadcast games at $9 million per game while FOX and CBS would have paid $10 million less per game.

So placing out-of-market games on cable would have been close to a break-even point with the league’s afternoon slate contracts, but it would have completely wiped out the $2 billion per year they currently receive for the NFL Sunday Ticket package. That is where individual teams selling their own out-of-market packages comes into play, along with Jerry Jones’ line of thought about how if there’s no revenue sharing with these out-of-market packages then there’s no incentive to have a salary cap in the league moving forward.

Continue Reading @ Justis Mosqueda 

Justis Mosqueda wrote:

I hope not. I had the sunday Ticket package with Direct Tv back in the day. This settlement isn't coming from NFL, Inc. It is coming from the teams. They will have a COVID like cap put on. (Only for a longer period of time.) They will raise ticket and concession prices. Merch will go up. Like everything else, the end consumer IE the fans will pay $ billion in the settlement not the league or the teams.

UserPostedImage
beast
2 months ago
PFT is guessing this means they'll push for 18 game seasons even more.

Though, the more I see this kind of case, the more I think the NFL could simply solve a lot of their issues by actually putting all teams legally under the NFL, and be one company, instead of 33 companies, with the 32 teams and the NFL, and then the owners could own a sub-franchise of the NFL instead of a different company.

Of course, owners would in theory have less control, therefore they would hate to do that, but the NFL basically has (in theory) control over all those things anyways but more indirectly.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
2 months ago
Aaron Nagler and Andrew Brandt discuss the verdict.

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
a month ago
Today is the scheduled day for motions in this case. The range of outcomes is rather wide at between nothing and over 14 billion in damages.
beast
a month ago

Today is the scheduled day for motions in this case. The range of outcomes is rather wide at between nothing and over 14 billion in damages.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Or... the judge throws the entire case out, because the judge disagrees with the plaintiffs economics experts and disagrees with how the jury came up with their amount, which I'm assuming was based on the disliked economic experts and also assume the judge told the jury to ignore them, and they listened to them anyways, and therefore threw the entire case out.

That, or the NFL got into the judges pocket...

Because as PFT points out, the judge found that there was proof of antitrust violations, he just didn't agree with how they came up with the amount for punishment, and the judge could of ordered a new trail, or other methods to keep it moving forward, but instead, he just threw the entire thing out.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
a month ago

Or... the judge throws the entire case out, because the judge disagrees with the plaintiffs economics experts and disagrees with how the jury came up with their amount, which I'm assuming was based on the disliked economic experts and also assume the judge told the jury to ignore them, and they listened to them anyways, and therefore threw the entire case out.

That, or the NFL got into the judges pocket...

Because as PFT points out, the judge found that there was proof of antitrust violations, he just didn't agree with how they came up with the amount for punishment, and the judge could of ordered a new trail, or other methods to keep it moving forward, but instead, he just threw the entire thing out.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Interesting. I thought it would have to go to a higher court before getting tossed.
UserPostedImage
beast
a month ago

Interesting. I thought it would have to go to a higher court before getting tossed.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

The decision to toss the case, like most decisions is "subject to appeal".

And with this much money at stake, and the proof being there that a violation did happen, it's surely going to be appealed.

The question is now, "What, if anything, will the appeals court do?"

I know nothing about courts, and what the options are, but I'm very surprised that the judge tossed the entire case. I don't know if this is an option or not, but I would have thought he would of tried to keep the guilty verdict (or the civil case equivalent), but only tossed the damages amount verdict l, which I believe I have heard happen in criminal cases against people, so I assume it's also allowed in civil cases against companies, but that is an assumption, and I do know there are a lot of difference between criminal and civil courts.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Rams-Lions with an anticlimactic OT but smart football on the Lions part
Mucky Tundra (7h) : oh i misread the cap hit, it's even more than that lol
Mucky Tundra (7h) : *$145 million cap hit
Mucky Tundra (7h) : you have to wonder at some point if the Browns bite the bullet, cut Watson and eat the $145 million dollar bullet
Martha Careful (9h) : please note the qualification "by the end of the day"
Mucky Tundra (9h) : They did actually! Didn't catch the score, get back to me in 10 hours ;)
Zero2Cool (10h) : Lions already played and won?
Mucky Tundra (10h) : But yeah, meet the new Bears QB, same as the old Bears QB
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Also, sarcasm alert
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Naw that was all Williams, his *aura* propelled that team
bboystyle (10h) : more good news. Caleb looks worse than Fields
Martha Careful (10h) : and the good news department, assuming he returns to good health. It would appear financially we probably got a good deal for Jordan Love
Martha Careful (10h) : it looks like we will be in last place by ourselves by the end of the day
Mucky Tundra (10h) : And now the Titans are self-destructing vs the Bears
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Titans are cruising against the Bears
Martha Careful (18h) : Good One Mucky,! I am going to use that!!!
Mucky Tundra (8-Sep) : Notre Dame? more like Notre Lame!
Martha Careful (8-Sep) : it was great to see Northern Illinois upset Notre Dame at Notre Dame
Mucky Tundra (7-Sep) : I mean, they traded for Willis after a year and a half of Clifford, seems pretty definitive
TheKanataThrilla (7-Sep) : Do we with Clifford or Willis? You'd think Clifford has a better knowledge of the playbook
Mucky Tundra (7-Sep) : Definitely filing that under the "I'm getting old" category
Mucky Tundra (7-Sep) : Donald Drivers son Christian caught a TD pass playing for the University of Minnesota today.
Zero2Cool (7-Sep) : Packers QB Jordan Love's initial timetable for return is in the 3-6 week range, per sources. And there's some early optimism he could return
Zero2Cool (7-Sep) : Initial tests indicated Jordan Love’s ACL is intact. But there’s a wide range of outcomes based on additional scans, which will occur when t
Zero2Cool (6-Sep) : QB Malik Willis will be the only backup tonight behind Jordan Love vs. the Eagles.
Zero2Cool (6-Sep) : Packers gotta take shot on first series of game.
Martha Careful (6-Sep) : Amen...just squeezing more juice out of the orange.
dfosterf (6-Sep) : The Peacock streaming thing is irritating. So many sports bars don't have Peacock, but often the person answering the phone will say they do
Zero2Cool (6-Sep) : So, today is game day??
Zero2Cool (6-Sep) : what?
Mucky Tundra (6-Sep) : Well speaking of shooting themselves in the foot
Mucky Tundra (6-Sep) : INT might be the jolt they need
Mucky Tundra (6-Sep) : Ravens shooting themselves in the foot
Zero2Cool (6-Sep) : Apple Pie. My favorite. Been a while
dfosterf (6-Sep) : Maybe pie still, but no whipped cream, ice cream or milk. Imstead, you get someone else's left over beer from yesterday to go with your pie
dfosterf (6-Sep) : Pie is good. You get no pie and fewer wins in fantasy due to being inflexible
Zero2Cool (5-Sep) : I like pie.
dfosterf (5-Sep) : Loved Gunnys. Never earned that particular rank. Neither did R Lee Armey from full metal jacket fame, but that is another story.
dfosterf (5-Sep) : He better be ready, willing, and able to kick everone's ass in a fight. My experience? They always are.
dfosterf (5-Sep) : Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeants are some of the baddest men on this earth. I was never one of those, fyi
dfosterf (5-Sep) : Oh, no dout
wpr (5-Sep) : Gunny, like you I earned my stripes. I'm proud of em.
Zero2Cool (5-Sep) : Try helping the elderly and they disrespect ya all the way home.
Zero2Cool (5-Sep) : Ouch!!
Zero2Cool (5-Sep) : Improved your trade, Penguin.
dfosterf (5-Sep) : Geezer smack talk. We have been reduced, lol
dfosterf (5-Sep) : Pot calling the kettle black
wpr (5-Sep) : Wild Cheesey. Just wild. Dfoster. put your teeth in dammit. You don't have to go through life gumming everything old man.
dfosterf (5-Sep) : am Gumby, dammit
dfosterf (5-Sep) : Trade offer up Batman. I
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6-Sep / Random Babble / Martha Careful

6-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

3-Sep / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

3-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

3-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.