Zero2Cool
7 months ago
Okay, so I was poking fun in Fan Shout at some saying X is a WR who's Y pounds. Why do we do this? What's the difference between a big WR vs TE who can catch?

Why does it feel like we're slighting a TE just cuz he's tall and heavy but can catch the ball really well?

Whats a TE?
Whats a WR?
UserPostedImage
beast
7 months ago

Okay, so I was poking fun in Fan Shout at some saying X is a WR who's Y pounds.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

After someone accidentally implied Kelce is a WR, I said Kelce is a 250lb WR... because IMO that's exactly what he is, a receiver.

Why do we do this? What's the difference between a big WR vs TE who can catch?
Whats a TE?
Whats a WR?

Quality blocking (especially inline blocking) is the main difference.

I look forward to seeing Martha's definitions, as she's old school, and the distinction that I make, probably goes back to the old school. True TEs can seriously block. Where more and more of today's TEs are more pure receivers.

Not that it's a bad thing, it's just a distinction. I think it comes more from the defensive mindset of how are you going to stop this guy. Is he physically and you need a physical (LB) to stop him? Or do you need a coverage guy (LB/S/CB) to stop him? And with Kelce, like Jimmy Graham, there is no debate, it's 1,000% a coverage guy.

As for TE blocking, it's run blocking in today's NFL, as usual TEs are sent out into routes on pass plays and don't do much pass blocking. Like Travis Kelce, in 11 games, has 12 pass block snaps. That's probably an extreme example but Titans Trevon Wesco has 88 pass blocks, the most in the NFL for a TE (next is only at 64) but Wesco has 244 run blocks, run blocks always seem to 2.5 times more likely or much higher.

Why does it feel like we're slighting a TE just cuz he's tall and heavy but can catch the ball really well?

Hmm, šŸ¤”, why does it feel like a slight to you?

Couldn't it be a compliment?

Despite being banged up to start the season, Kelce has the 16th most receiving yards... WRs get paid more than TEs, Kelce should be getting that higher WR money as he is a WR.

16 teams (including the Packers) don't have a receiver that can keep up with Kelce.

He can't block well for a TE... so what... that doesn't bother the Chiefs, that shouldn't bother anyone, he's not a good blocker, but he is an elite receiver.

TE vs WR label (to me) is more about what type of player you are... not in terms of good or bad, but in terms of, how you have to account for them defensively.

Like Jimmy Graham, according to TJ Lang, you didn't have to worry about Graham blocking anyone, it was his receiving abilities you had to watch for.

Kelce is PROBABLY a future Hall of Famer, due to his receiving abilities. He's not a very good blocker and based on his podcast with his brother he'll probably tell you that... or agree with you on that, as long as you aren't saying it disrespectfully. I know he has talked about edge blockers on Punt/FG teams and how they're basically out in a no win situations where they're going to get nailed every single time and they're some of the most toughest guys and he couldn't do that, as one blocker is being asked to block two guys, and one of them is going to nail you.

Just Kelce is an elite receiver, not a good blocker. Nothing wrong with being an elite WR.

Also the Kelce brothers have semi-jokingly (or simply laughing when they're not joking at all) told George Kittle if he wants to get the ball more, simply stop being as good of a blocker. As the better blocker you are, the less routes you get to run, which is probably a factual statement. The better blocker you are, the more you'll be used for blocking and less receiving. But it'll help the team more if you are a complete player. This is not to say, Kelce doesn't give it 100% when he is asked to block, he probably does, but he probably cares much more about receiving.

UserPostedImage
beast
7 months ago
To summarize for those that like short posts.

It's more of a style thing.

Like Dugara is an H-back type TE.
Musgrave is a WR like TE.
Kraft is a true TE like TE.

In my opinion, one isn't nessarily better than the others, it's more about size and styles of play

==============

Like people arguing if Tom was a C, G or OT... he's got the size for the interior, but that guy is athletic enough to stay at OT.

Same with Bakhtiari, and Bakhtiari might lack the physical mauler style to succeed at OG despite having the OG size.

Different styles, more than good or bad.

Though then you get a guy like George Kittle, and he's an every single style, do it all type.
UserPostedImage
7 months ago

Like Dugara is an H-back type TE.
Musgrave is a WR like TE.
Kraft is a true TE like TE.
Though then you get a guy like George Kittle, and he's an every single style, do it all type.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Beast, is absolutely spot on in his breakdown.

Kittle is the best TE by far. Kelce is a large WR who blocks ok.

Kraft is closer to becoming a Kittle kind of guy than Musgrave IMHO. Let's hope both get there. Blocking is about mentality as much as physical prowess or technique. I see it in Kraft.

Go Packers!!!!
Zero2Cool
7 months ago

Originally Posted by: beast 

A man of the people, for the people!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (6h) : absolute banger of Olympic commentary
Mucky Tundra (6h) : @CCSewell ā€œVietnam, another country with very strong ties to Franceā€ might be my favourite bit of commentary so far
buckeyepackfan (11h) : Russ Ball is a genius when it comes to manipulating The Salary Cap hits on contracts!
buckeyepackfan (11h) : Not going to be as bad as some might think, this will look like a bargain in 2 years.
buckeyepackfan (11h) : 75mil signing bonus
buckeyepackfan (11h) : 77mil Signing Bonus, 155mil in new guarantees! Going to have to wait for the breakdown of the entire length of the contract .
Zero2Cool (12h) : Jordan Love and the Packers have agreed to a 4 year $220M contract
Martha Careful (16h) : Olympic opening ceremony is marginal at best
Zero2Cool (18h) : I was told that the hold up with Tua was the APY but they ironed it out and for Love, itā€™s been structure of the contract. -- Dianna Russini
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Tua and Love have the same agency, so things might be closer than we realize
Zero2Cool (18h) : Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa has agreed to a four-year contract extension worth $212.4 million, including $167 million in guarantees
Zero2Cool (18h) : Sounds like 4 year deal coming
Zero2Cool (18h) : Tua and Dolphins seem to have an extension in place.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @prettyrickey213 Today has been flippant šŸ¬. Now waiting for it to be cheesy šŸ§€
Zero2Cool (19h) : Jones, Ballentine and Jennings join practice off PUP
Zero2Cool (21h) : Yikes.
wpr (21h) : The injuries keep on coming. Lions K Michael Badgley tears hamstring, out for season.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Great, Jenkins is taking snaps at Center. Lovely. More OL mishaps
wpr (25-Jul) : Another one bites the dust. Rams CB Derion Kendrick feared to have torn ACL
Zero2Cool (25-Jul) : Vikings CB Mekhi Blackmon tore his ACL today, a source confirms.
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : You do know he's QB2, right? Pratt. Check the 53 cheat sheet
Mucky Tundra (24-Jul) : If Clifford keeps playing the way he has Pratt is gonna be flying by him on the depth chart
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Michael Pratt getting more first team reps than J.J. McCarthy
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Who made a prediction? I posted what it will be, not prediction mate! šŸ˜
dfosterf (24-Jul) : It is within.the realm of possibility that someone had Bowden on their depth chart prediction. I thought they did. Could be wrong
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Record Prediction?
dfosterf (24-Jul) : I think someone edited their prediction post after
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Jayden Reed cleared to practice
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Never heard of the dude before haha
Zero2Cool (24-Jul) : Bowden is trash, can't snap his way out of a wet paper bag!
beast (23-Jul) : I'm hoping they re-sign Bowden after Love signs and this is just a game to get a 3rd QB while Love isn't practicing
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : got older over *
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : Glad to hear it! And Happy Birthday! My brothers had got over over weekend
Cheesey (23-Jul) : Hi Kevin! Yes, I'm still alive. Just turned 67 a few days ago.
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : Alan has entered the building!!
dfosterf (23-Jul) : Cutting Bowden is odd. I do remember reading he needed to work on his velocity, but don't even know how fixable that is
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : Packers signed a QB today
Zero2Cool (23-Jul) : Packers long snapper Peter Bowden has been released to sign Jacob Eason.
wpr (23-Jul) : I heard Reed tweeked his ankle and his youth camp.
beast (23-Jul) : I believe NJI is usually used for pre-NFL injuries (rookies) and vets that got injured doing something they weren't supposed to.
beast (23-Jul) : Might be interesting to hear how Reed got injured, as I believe NJI is non-football and teams don't have to pay you list.
Zero2Cool (22-Jul) : Love won't practice until new deal is agreed. Ok, my stance changed
Zero2Cool (22-Jul) : TRAIIIIINNNNNING CAMP!!! let's fookin go!!!
Zero2Cool (22-Jul) : Jayden Reed placed on Non-Football Injury list
beast (21-Jul) : Yeah with the way the cap went up, don't be surprised if the new good QB gets more than $55 million per season
Zero2Cool (21-Jul) : Kenny Clark. Extended!!
buckeyepackfan (21-Jul) : The "raw" number will probably be in that area. The numbers to look at are signing bonus. Guaranteed money, and Salary Cap Hit each year.
dfosterf (21-Jul) : Those numbers align with my guesstimate. Might find out tomorrow
Zero2Cool (21-Jul) : Saw some rumor the Love contract is around 5 years $280m. There's no way.
Zero2Cool (19-Jul) : Packers sign wide receivers Rory Starkey and Jalen Wayne, waive Alex McGough.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
32m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Jul / Fantasy Sports Talk / Mucky Tundra

23-Jul / Around The NFL / beast

23-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Jul / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright Ā© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comā„¢. All Rights Reserved.