gbguy20
13 years ago

I'll be seriously upset if this game is close.

If GB is as good as everyone says they are, this game should be over at halftime.

"Wade" wrote:

It's rare that our games are over at halftime, simply because we bulld a decent lead and mccarthy turns into a moron and lets them catch back up. so i never feel safe with our leads at halftime.

I think that we (as fans) are taking this game too lightly. It seems like everyone is treating this as a preseason game...(ex.: "we'll probably get Nance a lot of time in this game, because we're only playing the Bills"). And that's only one example.

I just hope that the players aren't thinking the same way, because this could easily turn into a "Tampa game" if we aren't careful.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Man I was sitting here all confident with no worries going into this week until i read this and realized you are right. damnit
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Remember last year before the season started I said we'd shut out 2 opponents then I got pissed when we almost shut out a 2nd opponent but didn't?

Well, this will be a game where we should have shut them out, but didn't. Dom will get all lax in the 4th Q and allow them to score a TD.

I'll get pissed because we'll only be winning by 35 points. WTF? Shutouts, Dom. I want shutouts.

(In case people forget, the Bills were the 31st ranked O last year. This year, they'll be one notch worse).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
RajiRoar
13 years ago
"that hybrid fuck known as Michael Vick"

you have a way with words

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
When we played the Bengals, we had been on a roll pretty good. I think with how tough the Eagles game was and how poorly Rodgers played, they are going to want to look good. I thing we see a pretty solid effort out of them.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Cheesey
13 years ago
Can't take ANYONE lightly. They are after all, an NFL team. We need to get on them early, and NOT let up.
UserPostedImage
flep
13 years ago
We should never take an opponent lightly.

We should hit the ground running against the Bills.

Hit them hard and often, no let up.

Show the rest of the league we mean business.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 32 years
UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
dfosterf
13 years ago
Cheesehead TV- Holly--Buffalo Bills vs. GBP--Opposition Research 

She is good. I enjoy and appreciate her work. There are also some ff recommendations. I have added some quotation marks for clarification (original-see link--was shaded in lieu of quotation marks, also-links available in original)

By Holly on Sep 15, 2010

Welcome to another edition of Opposition Research, where Ill be taking a look at the next Packers opponent, the Buffalo Bills (0-1).

As far as home openers are concerned, this game has the potential to be a cakewalkprovided the Packers show up to play. Itll be my first ever game at Lambeau, and so Im counting on the Packers to put on a clinic. Lets take a look at whats in store for this Sunday, shall we?

Coming into this game, the Bills areupbeat about the 2010 season despite realizing, after a Week 1 15-10 loss to the Dolphins, that a new head coach and a new offensive system still produce a dud of an offense that is incapable of scoring points. Even though the Bills defense handled Miami fairly well (registering 3 sacks and keeping Brandon Marshall to 53 yards receiving), the offense had six three-and-outs and mustered only nine first downs in the whole game. The Bills ground game that gobbled 1,867 yards in 2009 managed only 38 yards on 14 carries on Sunday, even with the introduction of first-round sensation C.J. Spiller.

Honestly, the only reason the score wasnt more lopsided is that the Dolphins offense fizzled in the second half. The Buffalo offense held the ball for only 23 minutes. In fact, Jason LaCanfora called the game an affront of offensive football.

In this weeks edition of Tuesday Morning Quarterback, Gregg Easterbrook has some harsh reality for those who hoped that Chan Gaileys regime would turn the tide for the Bills:

"Sunday the Bills employed a hyperconservative game plan of checkdown, checkdown, checkdown. When all passes are ultrashort, the defense can choke up against the rush, and nothing works. Buffalo has now scored 10 points or fewer in seven of its last 17 home games. The Bills rather delicately declared their offenses performance not encouraging when it came to results.

Going into the 2009 offseason, Buffalos problems were quarterback, offensive tackle and the need to open up the game plan. Coaches and management did nothing; both were fired when the season ended. Going into the 2010 offseason, Buffalos problems were quarterback, offensive tackle and the need to open up the game plan. The new coaches and new management did nothing. What is it about the Bills organization since the Super Bowl run? Doing nothing has become its Zen.

Tough words for a team that has been hoping to turn the corner for YEARS.

The fans at home arereacting to Sundays loss in 140 characters or less:

"I hope Trent Edwards doesnt have a dog because it must get bor[ing] from all the short tennis ball throws he shovels off to him." (h/t @peteinsudbury)

The guys over at Buffalo Rumblings have done some very excellent film review of last weeks game, and I think that this bit about execution is particularly apt:

"Edwards didnt sell the screen very well, leading to a couple of altered throws on those plays. The Bills linemen were confused about the direction of a play on occasion; I recall one particular play in which Bell allowed a defender into the backfield largely unblocked, thinking that the play was going to the right, not to the left. Bills players also struggled to make plays with the ball in their hands; Spiller in particular had a shot at some big gainers, but couldnt run through arm tackles."

But what makes Buffalo fans win at life this week is that they wrote a songfor rookie C.J. Spiller. Really. Here are some of the mindblowing lyrics, set to the tune of Michael Jacksons Thriller (download the track here):

"You feel a hard hand, and fall just as youre stiff armed to the ground
You wipe your eyes and, ask who is this new rookie in town
But all the while, hes bustin right thru your defensive line (ohhh)
You start to smile, cause you chased him but you fell far behind, so far behind."

Something to chew on its curious to me that the Bills are absolutely STACKED at running back and cornerback. Consider that much of the talk since Ryan Grants injury has been about whether the Packers should go after Marshawn Lynchand realize that Lynch, a 1st round pick in 2007, sits third in the depth chart behind rookie CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson. All three could be feature backs in this league (reminds me of Dallas and Atlanta, both of whom are faced with the same embarrassment of riches at RB). In the secondary, all five of the Bills corners are talented, and the starters (Terrence McGee and Drayton Florence) are ball hawks. (If you can get Bob McGinn to compliment your secondary, you know youre doing something right.)

Where the Bills are weak? Quarterback. Receiver. Tight end. Offensive line. Generating a pass rush. Basicallyeverywhere else.

When looking at the Packers on film the fans are counting on lots of trick plays and off-the-wall playcalls (oh my god, read this WHOLE THING):

"We know the Green Bay Packers. They have an explosive West Coast offense run by one of the best young quarterbacks in the league, and a big play defense centered around LB Clay Matthews and CB Charles Woodson. We also know the Bills. We have, perhaps, an above average defense which camouflages its weak pass rush with good coverage and pressure packages, and we have a below average offense, which camouflages its weaknesses withwell, it doesnt. So how would a mediocre rebuilding club like the Bills topple a chic pick to make the Super Bowl like the Packers? The answer is simple: wacky National Lampoon-esque hijinks."

"The first step will be to outfit some of our players in Green Bay uniforms."

Like we all do, some fans in Buffalo forecasted how the season would go for the Bills. Kevin Shenoy, writing for BillsZone, prefaced his predictions by saying, Im not pregnant, just moody about the season. About this week, Shenoy prognosticates thus:

"At the start of this game you say in a Dorothy from OZ repetitive fashion, if they win this, theyre for real. By the start of the second quarter you ask, How did this get away from us so quickly? This was just unfortunate circumstances. This blowout makes you sick; the fact that Poz ends up on IR makes you sicker."

What Were Up Against: Frankly, the Bills offense shouldnt be scary at all. QB Trent Edwards is a checkdown king, even if receiver Lee Evans has great hands and can make plays all over the field. Without much of a passing game, you can expect a lot of run plays. Yes, the trio of Bills running backs has a lot of potentialwhats keeping them back? The fact that new head coach Chan Gailey calls a poor game (or, at least he did last week). Maybe Gailey will get his ducks in a row on Sunday, but Im not betting the farm that the Packers front seven will suddenly be faced with a three-headed monster.

I still worry about Spiller later in the game and on special teams, but after the way the Packers were able to contain DeSean Jackson and Ellis Hobbs in Philadelphia, that panic has been downgraded slightly.

Last year, the Bills run defense allowed 2,501 yards and 19 touchdowns, ranking in the bottom five in each category. Despite a new defensive coordinator and a switch to the 3-4 defense, the 2010 Bills run defense doesnt look all that different. Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams each gashed the Bills for over 60 yards, leading Bill Barnwell to make this comparison:

The Buffalo run defense looks well it looks less convincing than Jessica Albas desire for Danny Trejo in Machete.

Even without Ryan Grant, the Packers should be able to run a balanced offense. Andif Brandon Jackson and John Kuhn get traction on the ground, McCarthy may want to call a run-heavier game.

Why? Because, on the other side of the coin, the Bills pass defense is still ridiculously good. In 2009, rookie FS Jairus Byrd nabbed nine of the teams 28 interceptions (only two fewer than Green Bay), and finished ahead of Clay Matthews in the polls for defensive rookie of the year. Its also worth noting that the Bills held opposing quarterbacks to an extremely meager 61.1 passer rating last year (although, Im sure that came as a byproduct of opponents realizing that the Bills were far more porous on the ground). In 2010, the unit has a goal of never allowing more than 200 passing yards per game. Buffalos cornerbacks, led by Terrence McGee, are also solid in coverage. If Aaron Rodgers was looking for a game in which he could prove that his poor performance against Philadelphia was an aberration, look no further than this match-up. Pin-point throws will be necessary for Rodgers to get the ball to his perimeter players.

That being said, if the Bills have a soft underbelly in the passing game, its in the middle, right behind the front seven. Buffalo is going to be extremely thin at linebacker in this game, with Kawika Mitchell already being placed on IR and the teams defensive leader, MLB Paul Posluszny, out with a sprained knee. Pozs likely replacement, Keith Ellison, is undersized, but acquitted himself well against the Dolphins. The Bills linebacking corps has already had some growing pains switching to the 3-4 (notably, 2009 first-round pick Aaron Maybin struggled against Miami last week). It would not surprise me at all if McCarthy and Rodgers had Finley run under routes all day, chipping away at the Bills defense from the inside. [I found this old SmartFootball article on levels in the passing game perfect example of what I think the Packers should do this week.] If Rodgers can scare Bills defensive coordinator George Edwards with a few deep throws to roll coverage to Jennings and/or Driver the fleshy middle of the Bills defense could be there for the taking.

As usual, make sure you look out for Pete Doughertys scouting report, as well as the previews from Acme Packing Company, SB Nation, and the usual suspects (JS Online, ESPN Milwaukee, etc.). ESPNs scouting report (sub reqd) says that the Bills cant afford to get into a track meet, and must keep the score low if they want any shot of winning. Sounds about right.

If I managed your fantasy team, Id start any Packer thats on your roster. Heck, if you have Tom Crabtree, consider him for a flex player. Even with the Bills stingy secondary, I see this as a game where Aaron Rodgers lays down the law, and it will benefit receivers and running backs alike. The Packers defense is also a good bet, as Buffalos one-dimensional offense and marginal quarterback should make for easy pickings for Clay Matthews (whos on pace for 48 sacks by himself this year).

I absolutely love what Brandon Funston said about this fantasy matchup:

"Lets put this plain and simple on the BUF side: Dont start anyone."

If you look at his green light players, youll see All Green Bay regulars. By the red light, All Buffalo regulars. Nothing in between.

In fact, even with respect to Spiller, whose preseason hype was sky-high, fantasy football gurus have come back down to earth and come down hard:

C.J. Spiller: That was a disappointment. I slowly got sucked into the hype. If he cant break out against the Dolphins at home, well, thats a bad sign. Both Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch got some work as well, but didnt do much, so the Bills RBs are like a three-headed slug crossing a million miles of salt flat.

Im not as downtrodden on Spiller as some people are if you get points for return yards, I certainly think hes worth a look. But Id still be wary of starting any Bills running backs, especially if DE Mike Neal is active for the game.

Parting Shots:

A colleague (@sethisen) and I had a bet over the Packers-Eagles game last week. For the week after the game, loser had to change the screensaver and wallpaper on their work desktop, as well as the profile pics on Twitter and Facebook, in support of the winners team. Once accomplished, loser had to post daily on Twitter and Facebook something positive about the winning teams current roster, and speak highly of the team whenever the subject came up at work. I just want to take the opportunity to say that @sethisen has been such a great sport, even in defeat, and I think that his latest tweet deserves particular mention:
Can already smell the #Buffalo the #Packers will roast for lunch Sunday. After that, #Bears & #Lions going to taste a little gamy.

Doug Farrar did an extended interview with Bills HOF quarterback Jim Kelly, who talked about a number of issues related to football (like, what was it REALLY like during those four years where the Bills kept losing the Super Bowl), as well as non-football. Certainly worth a listen.
I know that some people have hinted that this is a trap game for the Packers, a la Week 9 against Tampa Bay. And, perhaps, I can see that a little. Buffalo, like Tampa Bay, doesnt scare anyone on paper. But I believe that the Packers will use this game the way they used Seattle last year as a way to get back in the groove. Against the Steelers in W15, the Packers defense was exposed time and time again for big gains. How did they come back against Seattle? 4 INTs, 3 sacks, and they didnt allow a touchdown until late in the 4th quarter.

By their own standards, last week was miserable for Aaron Rodgers and the passing offense. The Bills passing defense isnt going to roll over for them, but if Rodgers intends to bring the Packers offense to the level that we all know it can reach, this is a great opportunity for him. The Bills pass D doesnt want to give up more than 200 yards. I challenge Rodgers to hit that numberby the end of the first half.

As for me, Ill be cheering my fool head off in section 125 with my dad, grandpa, and cousin. And I expect that there will be much rejoicing.

13 years ago
I think the team will be as motivated as they can be after a tough road win and coming home against an easy opponent. The defense gave up a ton of yards and points late last week. Rodgers had a poor game. Brandon Jackson is out to prove he can be a starting RB.

38-13.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
13 years ago
The Packers should be able to destroy the Bills. I watched some of the Bills/Phins game and the Offense for Buffalo is terrible. The have great RBs, but that line can't do anything for them to get them going North/South. Trent Edwards is a terrible QB who only found success when they went no huddle, but that probably only made fans think of Jim Kelly which made them even more sad. Watch out for the Wildcat with Fred Jackson under center. This was pretty effective, but with our pretty athletic front and LBs I am not too concerned about this. I hope to see AJ Hawk playing a decent amount of time this week helping stuff the run.
13 years ago
What's the over/under on sacks for Matthews this week? 2.5?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : Supposedly looked good up to this point in OTA's etc. "Monster Leg" mentioned.
dfosterf (7h) : Packers picked up Lions reject kicker James Turner, the guy they cut to make room for Jake Bates
Mucky Tundra (20-Jun) : And Javon Bullard missing a tackle. Win some lose some apparently
Zero2Cool (20-Jun) : Madden 25 trailer opens with Justin Fields returning a kick off hahahaha
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : Packers have released kicker Jack Podlesny.
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : I saw that today. I actually thought he passed away few years ago. 24 time All Star.
Martha Careful (19-Jun) : sad news tonight. Willie Mays passes away. He was the greatest of all time
Martha Careful (16-Jun) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.