LambeauEast
14 years ago

LOL.. call it an added bonus. ;)

BTW.. I have a meeting at Lambeau on September 15th.. I will be sure to pass along our comments on the defense and our shortcomings.

Post more.. so we make sure we get them all shored up.. so far I think we are missing pad level.

"pack93z" wrote:

Ahhhh yes, the ever present "pad level", LOL! Oh, and don't forget "we'll look at that on the tape and get it fixed". And silly me for leaving out "good tempo".
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago

Two things will determine how far this team goes:
1. Offensive line.
2. Defensive front seven.

Before the first preseason I was worried about #1 (surprise, surprise 🙂 ), and not worried about #2. Now I'm a small bit less worried about #1, and a bit more worried about #2.

OL I won't be surprised if we see Tausch/Sitton/Wells/Bulaga/Newhouse before the end of the year.
DL I'm more concerned with depth for the rotation than anything else.

But for now, I'm still waiting until October before deciding to go toward giddiness or bitchiness.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Precisely that.

+1

"dfosterf" wrote:

I recall someone being heavy into drafting an OLB. Something a retired marine and college professor did not want any part off.

1st round - Jerry Hughes.
2nd round - Charles Brown.

I could've been great.

"Wade" wrote:

You just remember this, my fine young lad.. I've seen and heard all influences upon you as you hone your expertise...

This game is won and lost in the trench, both offensively and defensively. Shit happens on the oustide, but it is mostly, ultimately...shit.

Inside out, inside out. Not flashy, not fun, and really hard to do. Madden has to suck if that is what you are looking at. It is, however, the thing that makes great teams great.

imo
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Two things will determine how far this team goes:
1. Offensive line.
2. Defensive front seven.

Before the first preseason I was worried about #1 (surprise, surprise 🙂 ), and not worried about #2. Now I'm a small bit less worried about #1, and a bit more worried about #2.

OL I won't be surprised if we see Tausch/Sitton/Wells/Bulaga/Newhouse before the end of the year.
DL I'm more concerned with depth for the rotation than anything else.

But for now, I'm still waiting until October before deciding to go toward giddiness or bitchiness.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Precisely that.

+1

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I recall someone being heavy into drafting an OLB. Something a retired marine and college professor did not want any part off.

1st round - Jerry Hughes.
2nd round - Charles Brown.

I could've been great.

"dfosterf" wrote:

You just remember this, my fine young lad.. I've seen and heard all influences upon you as you hone your expertise...

This game is won and lost in the trench, both offensively and defensively. Shit happens on the oustide, but it is mostly, ultimately...shit.

Inside out, inside out. Not flashy, not fun, and really hard to do. Madden has to suck if that is what you are looking at. It is, however, the thing that makes great teams great.

imo

"Wade" wrote:

You can make up for weaknesses. Like we did in 2008. And 2009. Our offense has never been the problem. Yes, the O-line was horrible last year, but we still had one of the best offenses in the league.

And I know, the best way to build a team is from the line back. If you can get your QB some time, you can have the Bears' WR corps, the Colts' running game and Tarvaris Jackson at QB and you'll still look somewhat decent.

Thing is, there are so many combinations to get your offense going. There's so much you can scheme to relieve some pressure from your O-line.

What's Bulaga going to do, anyway, that's going to make this O-line that much better all of a sudden? He's not beating out Clifton just yet, he's going to play LG. The big knock on Charles Brown was his body, his size, that he wasn't ready to play LT from the get-go. In essence, we're giving Bulaga the year of grooming, as well.

And you have to consider OLBs in the 3-4 as DEs in the 4-3, which makes it a trench pick, as well.

You have to bring some very, very exotic blitzes if you want to get pressure with one overrated OLB and another one who, regardless of who it's going to be, is just not very good at getting to the passer. This forces you to throw either go the vanilla way and get your behind carved up by good QBs or blitz all day and get your behind carved up by good QBs.

And after that whole rant, I still have no idea whether we agree or disagree here, but hey, I had fun typing it.
djcubez
14 years ago

2010 first-round OL Bryan Bulaga has wasted little time making his presence felt, establishing himself as the front-runner to begin the season as the starting left guard and proving to be one of the team's five best offensive linemen, according to McCarth

It's great that Bulaga is doing well and it's probably due to his own skill and talent, but the fact that through all of TT's reign as GM we have not had a more solid option at LG is really sad.
RaiderPride
14 years ago

2010 first-round OL Bryan Bulaga has wasted little time making his presence felt, establishing himself as the front-runner to begin the season as the starting left guard and proving to be one of the team's five best offensive linemen, according to McCarth

"djcubez" wrote:

It's great that Bulaga is doing well and it's probably due to his own skill and talent, but the fact that through all of Ted Thompson's reign as GM we have not had a more solid option at LG is really sad.

I could respond to the drivel set forth herein above. But it would be a waste of my common sense.

Heretofore.... I will just type.

Make it a great tomorrow True Packer Fans on PackersHome.com
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Greg C.
14 years ago

You have to bring some very, very exotic blitzes if you want to get pressure with one overrated OLB and another one who, regardless of who it's going to be, is just not very good at getting to the passer.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

How is Clay Matthews overrated? I know there are plenty of others here who share your opinion, but I'm not one of them. He played great last year as a rookie, and he should only get better. I also think it's a little early to write off Brad Jones and Brandon Chillar. Jones showed some pass rushing skills as a rookie last year, and Chillar has looked good at OLB in practice. There is plenty of hope for our pass rush this year. Why all the gloom and doom after one preseason game?
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

You have to bring some very, very exotic blitzes if you want to get pressure with one overrated OLB and another one who, regardless of who it's going to be, is just not very good at getting to the passer.

"Greg C." wrote:

How is Clay Matthews overrated? I know there are plenty of others here who share your opinion, but I'm not one of them. He played great last year as a rookie, and he should only get better. I also think it's a little early to write off Brad Jones and Brandon Chillar. Jones showed some pass rushing skills as a rookie last year, and Chillar has looked good at OLB in practice. There is plenty of hope for our pass rush this year. Why all the gloom and doom after one preseason game?

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I don't think the doom or gloom is coming from any pre-season game. I think it's coming from how the team played last year.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I have been critical of how some, mainly media types and some portion of the Packer fan base does overrate Matthews at this point. And that doesn't mean he isn't a fine player that played well last season.

IMO, he is a one dimensional pass rusher at this point that relies on raw speed and power only... more speed than anything.. and a number of times I have stated that I hope he continues to develop and build a set of pass rushing moves to expand his game. And the context of such comments are based when I heard him openly state that he needs to come up with more post sack celebrations.. I would rather have him focus on expanding his game over celebration routines..

For a first year player he was outstanding.. but IMO, he has a ways to go before some loft him into an elite pass rusher.

On that note.. I think Brad Jones is going to take a giant step this season.. and if Poppinga can play similar to game one of the preseason.. we should have solid rotational depth at the OLB... Chillar should be able to supplement that as well.. although I think he lacks natural pass rushing skills.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

"Greg C." wrote:

I have been critical of how some, mainly media types and some portion of the Packer fan base does overrate Matthews at this point. And that doesn't mean he isn't a fine player that played well last season.

IMO, he is a one dimensional pass rusher at this point that relies on raw speed and power only... more speed than anything.. and a number of times I have stated that I hope he continues to develop and build a set of pass rushing moves to expand his game. And the context of such comments are based when I heard him openly state that he needs to come up with more post sack celebrations.. I would rather have him focus on expanding his game over celebration routines..

For a first year player he was outstanding.. but IMO, he has a ways to go before some loft him into an elite pass rusher.

On that note.. I think Brad Jones is going to take a giant step this season.. and if Poppinga can play similar to game one of the preseason.. we should have solid rotational depth at the OLB... Chillar should be able to supplement that as well.. although I think he lacks natural pass rushing skills.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Brad Jones did next to nothing when he actually got some RTs on him. He has the raw speed to run by them, but one push and he's way off his trajectory to the QB. Once he gets engaged to RTs, he's lost.

Apparently, Poppinga is looking really good. And when our coaching staff is talking Poppinga up, something not right. Don't get me wrong, he actually could've improved all of a sudden, but Poppinga hasn't wowed me in anyway, besides his pile-jumping skills.

And I agree with Pack93 on Matthews. He's one sided. He ran by LTs last year, LTs totally whiffed on him, got hustle sacks and got bad blocking TEs on him earlier in the season.

Now I know that, when an O-line executes their blocks perfectly and the QB gets it off in time, you can't get a sack, but out of all his 10 sacks last year, he used some real pass rushing moves on just 2 off them. He did somesort of a bullrush on a TE, who he then backed off from and ran around and he made a KGB-like spin against the Bengals.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong. I'd love for all of our OLBs to prove me wrong, but I just don't see it happening.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Most positive sign for me so far on defense has been Mike Neal. I'm still not convinced that Raji is the better NT than Pickett. I understand wanting both of them on the field at the same time, but I don't think either of them is a DE. Even a 3-4 end.

And like Rock, I'm not quite as confident with the OLBs as most seem to be. Heck, I'm not particularly confident about our LBs in general.

Pittsburgh and St. Louis exposed some pretty serious cracks in the defensive armor last year. Maybe its because I remember the Lynn Dickey era, but it's not enough to have the best QB in the league and one of the best receiving corps.

You have to be able to keep good teams under 25 points when it matters, too. You have to be able to say to the other team's offense in the fourth quarter, "Fuck you. It ain't going to happen." And come through on what you say, with regularity.

I remember in 1995/1996, it would be late in the game. And it was like Reggie White would look at Sean Jones and say, "First one to the quarterback wins." And sure enough, a sack or two at the perfect time. It was like you knew the D was going to come through.

I want that feeling again.

I want Aaron Rodgers to be the next Bart Starr. I don't want him to have to settle for being the next Lynn Dickey the way Lynn Dickey had to do.

Lynn Dickey would be a Hall of Famer now were it not for the DL (and, lesser extent, the OL) the team had. I want Rodgers in the Hall where he belongs. One great quarterback left outside is enough for a team.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (15h) : rude
Mucky Tundra (15h) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.