Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/13670/packers-weakness-pass-defense 

Late in the 2009 regular season, the Steelers torched the Packers pass defense. Then everyone saw what happened to this unit in the playoffs against Arizona, which directly led to Green Bays elimination. What has changed since then? Not much.

Charles Woodson was simply awesome in 2009, but he isnt a young man and a slight regression should be expected from a career-type season. The Packers like to use Woodson in a variety of ways, which is extremely smart considering he is still the total physical package for any defensive back and can perform any duty asked of him. He is tremendous, but a slight regression shouldnt come as a surprise.

The only real change from last season is Al Harris, whose knee injury made him a nonfactor. But he is 35 years old and was a better fit in Green Bays old 4-3 scheme that demanded the corners play a lot of man-to-man coverage. He will be welcomed back, but it remains to be seen just how well the knee holds up and allows him to play.

Jarrett Bush allows far too many big plays, but Tramon Williams played pretty well in Harris absence last year. Williams is too risky with his decisions, but does show good ball skills. It isnt out of the question that he takes another step forward. He will have to. Pat Lee, a second-round pick in 2008, also could factor in, but he has had a very difficult time staying on the field and has shown little to get excited about thus far.

Although corner play is potentially problematic for the Packers, I do expect the safety production and range as a unit to be improved with Morgan Burnett added to the mix. Green Bay could also see a leap in production from its very young set of starting outside linebackers, leading to more pressure on the quarterback. That should help, but with the receivers in this division, poor corner play is going to be exposed sooner or later.

Surprisingly, the Packers really didnt do a thing this offseason to pump up their cornerback corps and I fear that it might cost them in the playoffs -- as it did last year. Luckily for Green Bay, it has an awful lot of firepower on offense. But will it be enough?

UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I am going to disagree on the CB thing. We had a solid corps of corners before the year started. Every body in the NFL keeps 6 or so CBs going into the season. They do that because it is usually enough. We had 4 of our 6 get hurt for the season. That usually doesn't happen. They will all be back, Harris may be relegated to nickle for a while. Woodson, Williams and Harris are solid as any ones top 3 starting CBs in the league. Underwood, Lee and Bell to round out our 6 as solid backups. As solid as anybody backups out there.

Last year we had questionable depth at safety. Pepprah and Bigby get hurt and we had nobody capable of stepping in. That cost the Packers more games than missing 4 corners. If Bigby signs and Brunette steps up, we will have 4 solid safeties with Collins and Pepprah.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Rockmolder
13 years ago

The only real change from last season is Al Harris, whose knee injury made him a nonfactor. But he is 35 years old and was a better fit in Green Bays old 4-3 scheme that demanded the corners play a lot of man-to-man coverage. He will be welcomed back, but it remains to be seen just how well the knee holds up and allows him to play.

Jarrett Bush allows far too many big plays, but Tramon Williams played pretty well in Harris absence last year. Williams is too risky with his decisions, but does show good ball skills. It isnt out of the question that he takes another step forward. He will have to. Pat Lee, a second-round pick in 2008, also could factor in, but he has had a very difficult time staying on the field and has shown little to get excited about thus far.

Although corner play is potentially problematic for the Packers, I do expect the safety production and range as a unit to be improved with Morgan Burnett added to the mix. Green Bay could also see a leap in production from its very young set of starting outside linebackers, leading to more pressure on the quarterback. That should help, but with the receivers in this division, poor corner play is going to be exposed sooner or later.

So what he's really saying is that we're going to guess that no one will progress this year, Al Harris won't come back strong and that Burnett won't be an upgrade over Bigby.

That's a whole lot of negative assumptions in one article.
PackerTraxx
13 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

So what he's really saying is that we're going to guess that no one will progress this year, Al Harris won't come back strong and that Burnett won't be an upgrade over Bigby.

That's a whole lot of negative assumptions in one article.

I think you got it-woe is us. Oh, wait, it's ESPN, never mind. :magnifyglass: :icon_smile:
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Greg C.
13 years ago
Yeah, the guy never acknowledged the fact that we had a lot of injuries in the secondary last year. He did mention Harris's injury, but he tried to turn that into a negative for this year rather than part of the reason for last year's struggles late in the season.

I have to agree that pass defense is the team's main weakness, though. This unit has a lot to prove, especially in big games and against top-flight QB's.

Interestingly, the one big lineup change--putting Raji at the nose and moving Pickett to DE--seems like a move that was made mainly to improve the run defense, by beefing up the line and protecting Brad Jones. I don't think Pickett will rush the passer quite as well as Jolly did.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
w/ Al Harris 6 - 4
w/o Al Harris 5 - 1
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago

w/ Al Harris 6 - 4
w/o Al Harris 5 - 1

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I don't think it is cause and effect. The O-line and the Safeties being down to third string probably had more to do with it than Harris.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
13 years ago

I am going to disagree on the CB thing.

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

really? i'm not. remember my thread a few months ago where everybody decided to show me how much of a homer they were? i'm still stickin' to my gut feeling.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Zero2Cool
13 years ago

w/ Al Harris 6 - 4
w/o Al Harris 5 - 1

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

I don't think it is cause and effect. The O-line and the Safeties being down to third string probably had more to do with it than Harris.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I didn't say it was cause or effect. I was just posting the numbers in case anyone else was curious as myself. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Dulak
13 years ago

I am going to disagree on the CB thing. We had a solid corps of corners before the year started. Every body in the NFL keeps 6 or so CBs going into the season. They do that because it is usually enough. We had 4 of our 6 get hurt for the season. That usually doesn't happen. They will all be back, Harris may be relegated to nickle for a while. Woodson, Williams and Harris are solid as any ones top 3 starting CBs in the league. Underwood, Lee and Bell to round out our 6 as solid backups. As solid as anybody backups out there.

Last year we had questionable depth at safety. Pepprah and Bigby get hurt and we had nobody capable of stepping in. That cost the Packers more games than missing 4 corners. If Bigby signs and Brunette steps up, we will have 4 solid safeties with Collins and Pepprah.

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

Id love it if we had both bigby and burnette at safety; if had have woodson harris and tramon again; I see our pass coverage D being Top notch.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.