Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

US soft drinks firms say sugary sodas cut in schools  

The US soft drinks industry says it has dramatically cut the number of high-calorie soft drinks sold in US schools as part of a drive to tackle obesity.

[img_r]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45117000/jpg/_45117853_boy_cred226.jpg[/img_r]The American Beverage Association said shipments of full-calorie drinks to schools were down 95%.

Nearly one in three children and teenagers in the US are overweight or obese and health experts say sugary drinks are part of the problem.

Several US states and cities are considering taxing soft drinks.

The reduction in sugary soft drinks in schools formed part of a deal between the major companies and the Alliance for a Healthier Generation, a joint initiative of the American Heart Association and the Clinton Foundation.

Under the voluntary guidelines, in place since 2006, full-calorie soft drinks were removed from school canteens and vending machines. Lighter drinks, including low-fat milk, diet sodas, juices, flavoured waters and teas were promoted in their place.

"There's been a dramatic shift toward lower calorie and more nutritious beverages in schools, it could lay the foundation for broader changes in our society," former US President Bill Clinton told a news conference on Monday.

Soda tax

Independent consulting firm Keybridge Research looked at what changes the guidelines had brought about and found that:

* the total beverage calories shipped to schools between the first half of the 2004-05 school year and the first half of the 2009-10 school year has decreased by 88%
there had been a dramatic shift toward lower-calorie and higher nutrient beverages in schools, including waters, 100% juices, and portion-controlled sports drinks

* shipment volumes of full-calorie drinks were 95% lower in the first half of the 2009-10 school year compared with the first half of the 2004-05 school year.

The soft drinks industry has been a main target of critics who say the sugary beverages they sell are a key factor in the levels of childhood obesity in the US.

The state of California and the city of Philadelphia have introduced legislation to tax soft drinks, while both the New York Governor David Paterson and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg are also pushing for such a tax.

"In these tough economic times, easy fixes to our problems are hard to come by," said Mr Bloomberg at the weekend. "But the soda tax is a fix that just makes sense, it would cut rising health costs."

Susan Neely of the American Beverage Association, which includes major firms like Coca Cola, PepsiCo and Dr Pepper Snapple Group, said such a tax would not solve "a complex problem like obesity".

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Dr. Mercola's Comments:  

[img_r]http://media.mercola.com/ImageServer/public/2010/April/4.3soda.jpg[/img_r]Soda has no place in a school setting, and its encouraging that shipments to U.S. schools are down 95 percent. The reduction is the result of voluntary guidelines instituted in 2006, which called for the removal of full-calorie soft drinks from school cafeterias and vending machines.

Now, instead of slurping down a can of liquid candy, your child can choose from other healthier beverages like artificially sweetened diet sodas, artificially flavored waters, fructose-laden juices and hormone-ridden pasteurized milk.

Ok, well Im being sarcastic. Its no secret that most schools have a long way to go when it comes to providing students with truly healthy food and drinks but I digress.

The fact that sugary sodas are no longer front and center in school cafeterias and hallway vending machines is a step in the right direction. Now, if we can get kids (and their parents) to ditch the sodas at home too, well be making real progress, as clearly this is the primary reason why two out of three people are overweight.

Staggering Soda Statistics

Taking soda out of schools is important and necessary, but for real health improvements to occur, soda consumption needs to go down immensely.

As it stands, soda is actually the number one source of calories in the United States!

Further, this alarming graphic shows just how out of control soft drink consumption has become:

* Americans drink nearly 50 billion liters of soda a year
* 1 billion Coke products are consumed every day
* 21 percent of all the sugar in the average American diet comes from soft drinks

Why Soda Should Not be on Your Grocery List

There is absolutely NO REASON you or your kids should ever drink soda. If you were stranded in the middle of a desert with no other fluid available, then maybe, but other than that none, nada, zip, zero. No excuses.

What you need to realize is that for the fleeting amount of pleasure you may get from downing a can of soda, serious damage is occurring within your body.

As the Nutrition Research Center reported, within the first 10 minutes of drinking a soda, 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. This is 100 percent of your recommended daily intake, and the only reason you dont vomit as a result of the overwhelming sweetness is because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor.

Phosphoric acid, it should be noted, can interfere with your body's ability to use calcium, leading to osteoporosis or softening of your teeth and bones.

Within 20 minutes of your last sip, your blood sugar spikes, and your liver responds to the resulting insulin burst by turning massive amounts of sugar into fat.

Its no wonder soda has been implicated as one of the key factors in the obesity epidemic.

Soda: Disease in a Can

Drinking soda can not only make your fat, it can increase your risk of many chronic illnesses.

One independent, peer-reviewed study published in the Lancet demonstrated a strong link between soda consumption and childhood obesity. They found that 12-year-olds who drank soft drinks regularly were more likely to be overweight than those who didn't.

In fact, for each additional daily serving of sugar-sweetened soft drink consumed during the nearly two-year study, the risk of obesity jumped by 60 percent.

Heres another sobering fact if youre struggling with weight issues: Just one extra can of soda per day can add as much as 15 pounds to your weight over the course of a single year!

Other statistics on the health dangers of soft drinks include:

* One soda per day increases your risk of diabetes by 85 percent and your risk of metabolic syndrome 44 percent
* Soda drinkers have a higher cancer risk. While the federal limit for benzene in drinking water is 5 parts per billion (ppb), researchers have found benzene levels as high as 79 ppb in some soft drinks, and of the 100 brands tested, most had at least some detectable level of benzene present
* Soda has been shown to cause DNA damage courtesy of sodium benzoate, a common preservative found in many soft drinks, which has the ability to switch off vital parts of your DNA. This could eventually lead to diseases such as cirrhosis of the liver and Parkinson's

Another Reason to Avoid Soda: Fructose

The primary sweetener used in soda is high fructose corn syrup, and fructose is, hands down, one of the worst sweeteners you can consume (and is a leading cause of obesity).

Let me clear up any confusion here, as fructose is the primary sugar in most fruits. It isnt that fructose is intrinsically evil -- it is just the MASSIVE DOSES you and your family are exposed to that makes it dangerous. Because it is so cheap and makes foods taste so much better, it is added to virtually every processed food including soda.

There are two overall reasons fructose is so damaging:

Your body metabolizes fructose in a much different way than glucose. Fructose is broken down in your liver just like alcohol and produces many of the side effects of chronic alcohol use, right down to the beer belly Most of the fructose you eat is converted directly to fat unlike glucose where most of it is converted to energy.

People are consuming fructose in quantities that are 400-800 percent higher than they were 100 years ago due to its pervasive presence in just about all processed foods

The fructose in fruits and vegetables is also not the same fructose molecule youll find in synthetic high-fructose corn syrup, which is manufactured in the lab. Naturally occurring fructose comes along with fiber, enzymes, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, whereas fructose sweeteners have no nutritional value.

Additionally, the fructose in fruit is actually attached to other sugars and molecules and needs to be broken down before it is absorbed, which limits the damage it causes. In HFCS it is a free fructose molecule, just as the glucose.

Because these sugars are in their free forms their absorption is radically increased and you actually absorb far more of them than you would if they had been in their natural joined state, which would cause a higher percentage of the fructose to pass to the intestine unabsorbed.

So, I highly recommend you keep all fructose under 25 grams per day (and this includes fruits). You can use the table below to get an idea of how much fructose is in your favorite fruits. Most processed food is loaded with fructose and is best avoided. For instance, there are about 40 grams of HFCS per can of soda!

Fruit 	        Serving Size 	Grams of Fructose 
Limes 	        1 medium 	       0.0 
Lemons 	        1 medium 	       0.6 
Cranberries     1 cup 	               0.7 
Passion fruit 	1 medium 	       0.9 
Prune   	1 medium 	       1.2 
Apricot 	1 medium 	       1.3 
Guava 	        2 medium 	       2.2 
Date      	1 medium 	       2.6 
Cantaloupe 	1/8 of med. melon      2.8 
Raspberries 	1 cup 	               3.0 
Clementine 	1 medium               3.4 
Kiwifruit 	1 medium 	       3.4 
Blackberries 	1 cup                  3.5 
Star fruit 	1 medium 	       3.6 
Cherries, sweet 10 	               3.8 
Strawberries 	1 cup 	               3.8 
Cherries, sour 	1 cup 	               4.0 
Pineapple 	1 slice (3.5" x .75")  4.0 
Grapefruit 	1/2 medium 	       4.3 
Boysenberries 	1 cup 	               4.6 
Tangerine/
mandarin orange 1 medium               4.8 
Nectarine 	1 medium 	       5.4 
Peach 	        1 medium 	       5.9 
Orange (navel) 	1 medium 	       6.1 
Papaya 	        1/2 medium 	       6.3 
Honeydew 	1/8 of med. melon      6.7 
Banana 	        1 medium 	       7.1 
Blueberries 	1 cup 	               7.4 
Date (Medjool) 	1 medium 	       7.7 
Apple    	1 medium 	       9.5 
Persimmon 	1 medium 	      10.6 
Watermelon 	1/16 med. melon       11.3 
Pear 	        1 medium 	      11.8 
Raisins 	1/4 cup 	      12.3 
Grapes  	1 cup 	              12.4 
Mango 	        1/2 medium 	      16.2 
Apricots, dried 1 cup 	              16.4 
Figs, dried 	1 cup 	              23.0 

Tips for Breaking Your (and Your Kids) Soda Habit

If you are still drinking soda, stopping the habit is an easy way to significantly improve your health. Pure water is a much better choice, or if you must drink a carbonated beverage, try sparkling mineral water with a squirt of lime or lemon juice.

If you struggle with an addiction to soda, (remember, sugar is actually more addictive than cocaine!) I strongly recommend you consider Turbo Tapping as a simple yet highly effective tool to help you stop this habit.

Turbo Tapping is a simple and clever use of the Emotional Freedom Technique/Meridian Tapping Technique (EFT/MTT), designed to resolve many aspects of an issue in a concentrated period of time.

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Now, instead of slurping down a can of liquid candy, your child can choose from other healthier beverages like artificially sweetened diet sodas, artificially flavored waters, fructose-laden juices and hormone-ridden pasteurized milk.

Heh. I like a good sarcasm. Got a chuckle out of this.

As for hormone-ridden milk, this is the example of how voting with your dollars works. The town I'm in right now, you CANNOT purchase milk with bovine growth hormone. Not because it's against the law. There are no laws about hormones in this town. It's because nobody's buying that crap.

You go into Target, Stop & Rob, Safeway, Trader Joe's, CVS, Whole Foods, or any other store here, and every single one has milk without that crap. Voting with your wallet works.

There is absolutely NO REASON you or your kids should ever drink soda. If you were stranded in the middle of a desert with no other fluid available, then maybe, but other than that none, nada, zip, zero. No excuses.

Bull. We enjoy soda, about a can each a week. On Friday night, each of us drinks a can of soda. Soda tastes good. I love it, but realize it's bad for you so don't drink it in excess. It's kind of a Friday ritual for me to get off work and have a shot of rum and wash it down with a can of soda.

People go overboard about what's bad for you. I'll have about 10 cigarettes a year and will race anyone my age in a mile. I love cigarettes, but know they're bad for you. I simply don't buy them but when I'm drinking at a bar and a friend steps outside and offers me a smoke, I'll join him or her. Just don't buy them and your consumption goes way down to the point that health-wise, it's a non-issue.

Moderation, folks.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
The_Green_Ninja
14 years ago
UserPostedImage

THE SODAS ARE BAD. HEALTH IS HURT FROM. YOUR JOY IS MINUSCULE. SODAS CAN !!! MUST DESTROY IT.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago

Tips for Breaking Your (and Your Kids) Soda Habit

If you are still drinking soda, stopping the habit is an easy way to significantly improve your health. Pure water is a much better choice, or if you must drink a carbonated beverage, try sparkling mineral water with a squirt of lime or lemon juice.

If you struggle with an addiction to soda, (remember, sugar is actually more addictive than cocaine!) I strongly recommend you consider Turbo Tapping as a simple yet highly effective tool to help you stop this habit.

Turbo Tapping is a simple and clever use of the Emotional Freedom Technique/Meridian Tapping Technique (EFT/MTT), designed to resolve many aspects of an issue in a concentrated period of time.

That's weak. Go cold turkey like I did, straight to water (and milk at breakfast).
blank
MontanaBob
14 years ago
Put beer in the vending machines. Ahh, a quick Moose Drool before I take that math test. That out to wake me up. Just kidding of course, but not far from the truth. A couple of middle school girls here got caught earlier this year with Vodka in their water bottles. Water bottles were fine to take to class, but this teacher noticed the two girls got weirder as the class progressed. Confiscated the bottles and BINGO......party time in the staff lounge.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
The article said one in three teenagers is overweight.

All I can say is wtf? That's gotta be the most fucked up stat ever, that or things are vastly different in American than in Europe.

I remember back when I was in high school (in the 90s), in our what you call it (like class but not really) there were zero students who had their weight index in the overweight area. Plus our "class" consisted only of people who had choosed to study "long" math, (we get to choose between short and long), so it's not like our "class" was full of jocks.

Also, do you guys want to know what's actually the best way to lose weight? Don't eat anything after six o'clock. It's that simple. When you sleep, your body burns a lot more calories than you would think when all of your carbonhydrates have been used during the evening. You wake up with a mean hunger though.
This is a placeholder
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Finland, 60 percent of American adults are overweight, and nearly 30 percent are clinically obese. It's quite disturbing. I hadn't realized how enormous we are as a people until I came back from Europe this January. Stepping off that plane was a culture shock in my own land.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
I drink carbonated water like mad. My wife and I go through about 2 liters every night in a 3 hour period before bed.

There is no reason to drink soda? There is also no reason to drink milk.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
While carbonated water is hardly an ideal drink -- it's acidic and can cause calcium to leach from the bones in excessive doses, among other other issues -- it doesn't have nearly the same health risks as soda, which is excessively rich in simple carbohydrates.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1m) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (32m) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (2h) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (6h) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (7h) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (7h) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (23h) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.