Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
The Ahman Green thread made me ponder for a moment about where Green ranking is the annals of Packer lore for Running Backs..

A couple names that flash to my head that might be ranked above Green here in Green Bay.

Mentioned in the other thread.. Jim Taylor

John Brockington (Might get my vote, short career but guy was a horse)

Paul Hornung

Dorsey Levens

Tony Canadeo

So where does Green rank in the group and whom did I leave out?

Donny Anderson?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Jim Taylor
Paul Hornung
Clarke Hinkle
Tony Canadeo
Ahman Green
Elijah Pitts
Dorsey Levens
Donny Anderson
William Henderson (Sucker for FBs)

I've most likely forgotten someone here, but this looks like a decent list to me.

Of course you have to put these HoF-ers in front of Green. They dominated their era. As you see, though, I've put Ahman right down after them. That's how high I am on him. He might've had some fumble problems, but he was both a great rusher and receiver. Shouldn't have wasted his first two years in Seattle.
yooperfan
15 years ago
I would amost have to put Pitts, Levens, and Anderson ahead of Green, but that's thinking with my heart instead of my head.

Anderson was a more complete football player than Green. There is no doubt in my mind that he could have played any of the offensive skill positions well + he could punt and placekick in a pinch as could Hornung.
alharrisdude31
15 years ago
jim taylor
paul hornung
john 'blood'mcnally
willie wood
tony canadeo
clarke hinkle
dorsey levens
donny anderson
ahman green&john brockington(not long enough of a packer)
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Willie Wood was a defensive back... maybe a typo?

Clarke Hinkle is an interesting one.. infancy of the league but he was a do it all player... I pondered that for a couple of minutes. Kind of the same with Johnny Blood.. whom wins the award for best football related nickname..

Good lists folks.. interesting to see how people think.

My vote for Brockington is purely those three years he shined.. pure talent.. just broke down quickly as many did in those days.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Tezzy
15 years ago
Hard for me to rank this list considering I never saw half these players actually play. My top 5 are:
1. Jim Taylor
2. Paul Hornung
3. Tony Canadeo
4. Clarke Hinkle
5. Ahman Green

I love the mention of John Brockington above by pack93z. If people don't know much about his story, there was a great episode of Outside the Lines featuring Brockington. Considering how bad the Packers were during his years, for him to be the 3rd in rushing yards in Packers history is astonishing to me.
Outside The Lines - John Brockington 
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
PackerBuddha
15 years ago
Travis Jervey FTW!

Im not sure where to rank him since ive never seen Hornung and Taylor play or Canadeo and Hinkle. Stats wise im sure he would be behind all of them though.
BAD EMAIL because the address couldn ot be found, or is unable to receive mail.
LambeauEast
15 years ago

Travis Jervey FTW!

Im not sure where to rank him since ive never seen Hornung and Taylor play or Canadeo and Hinkle. Stats wise im sure he would be behind all of them though.

"PackerBuddha" wrote:

LOL, Travis Jervey and his love for The Weather Channel!
UserPostedImage
15 years ago

LOL, Travis Jervey and his love for The Weather Channel!

"LambeauEast" wrote:

And big cats.

packers.com link 

Jervey lived with fellow running back LeShon Johnson during part of his time as a Packer and the two lived by the Oneida Indian Reservation, near the airport. At the time, Johnson had 18 pit bulls, and they both took care of a female pet lion named Nala.

According to Jervey, Nala was a great pet. It even slept with Jervey from time to time. But after five months, there came a point when they knew it was time for Nala to find a new home.

"It did bite me one night and that's pretty much when we decided to get rid of it," Jervey explained. "Once it got to the size of a dog, it started to get pretty aggressive. I mean, it was so durable and it looked like a cat, but acted like a puppy. It started to chew on everything. I felt sorry for it too. We played with it all the time, but obviously it's cold in the winter and we had to keep it in the house.

"We took it to a ranch and they are taking care of it. It's really doing well, it's out in Oklahoma at this ranch where a guy had been in the business for like 40 years. Kids can see it and it's got a good home."

A different home altogether is what Head Coach Mike Holmgren preferred.

"He was more concerned than anything," Jervey recalled. "He just wanted to find out if it was true that we had it and why we did. It was funny. He didn't want it to affect our game, I guess."

That alone should put him on the "best RBs" list, even if he's dead last. :lol:
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (6h) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (8h) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (23h) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Who did you try dumping Cooks off onto?
dhazer (13-Sep) : glad my other trade was rejected Cook has 28 at halftime lol
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Muwahahahah
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : I'll ride Jordan Love > Brock Purdy all day!
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Packers TE that you all say is being phased out lol
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : Upper tier QB???
dhazer (12-Sep) : backup RB
dhazer (12-Sep) : and he rejects it because I rejected his trade of the 49ers backup B for Mcaffery lol
dhazer (12-Sep) : I try helping out Kevin and trading him an upper teir QB so he has a starter and even gave him a Packer TE for a backup TE Purdy for Love
Zero2Cool (12-Sep) : MLF says “Love’s injury is more day to day than anything”
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : Like that Eli was "known" not to study or something
Zero2Cool (11-Sep) : AH, ok. i got that one quick, but thought maybe there's something more
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
50m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

11h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

14-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

12-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

7-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.