Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
A Noah Herron sighting.. hope he does well.

So this is the skinny on this preseason game.. and a couple things to look for.

What areas will you be focused on in watching this weekends game?

Source of Course... 

Game preview: Packers vs. Browns

Posted: Aug. 12, 2009

When: 7 p.m. Saturday.

Where: Lambeau Field.

All-time regular season: Packers lead series, 9-7.

All-time preseason: Browns lead, 11-9.

Coaches: The Packers' Mike McCarthy is 28-22, entering his fourth NFL season. The Browns' Eric Mangini is 23-26, entering his fourth NFL season and first with the Browns.

Last meeting in regular season: Browns 26, Packers 24 on Sept. 18, 2005 at Lambeau Field. This was an embarrassing one for the Packers, who at halftime retired the number of Hall of Famer Reggie White. Browns QB Trent Dilfer won for the first time in nine trips to Lambeau Field, throwing three TDs - two to TE Steve Heiden, including the 62-yard game-clincher with just 2 minutes remaining, and an 80-yarder to Braylon Edwards - while coach Romeo Crennel won his first game with Cleveland. Brett Favre passed for 342 yards and three TDs, but also tossed two INTs. It was the Packers' third consecutive loss in a home opener.

Last meeting in preseason: Packers 38, Browns 31 on Aug. 15, 2003, at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Packer spotlight: With the Family Night scrimmage having been cancelled on Saturday due to inclement weather, this will be Green Bay's first true live-game action since opening training camp on Aug. 1. The Packers have been able to avoid major injuries to their key players thus far, and probably the biggest story heading into this matchup will be how the defense looks in its 3-4 alignment under new coordinator Dom Capers. At least one of the expected key cogs on that unit, rookie DT B.J. Raji, isn't expected to play as he has yet to sign a contract. LB Clay Matthews, the second of the Packers' two first-round picks, might not see the field either as he continues to nurse a hamstring injury. Positions to watch will be RT, where Allen Barbre begins in earnest to try and lock down the starting job; OLB, where Jeremy Thompson could win a starting spot ahead of Matthews; P, where neither Jeremy Kapinos nor Durant Brooks has been particularly impressive thus far; and RB, where Brandon Jackson might be able to gain some ground back on DeShawn Wynn as primary backup to Ryan Grant.

Browns spotlight: Coming off a disastrous 4-12 season that resulted in the firing of Romeo Crennel and hiring of Mangini as coach, Cleveland has plenty to improve upon heading into 2009. Probably the biggest story in the preseason for the Browns is who will start at QB - former Pro Bowler Derek Anderson or young upstart Brady Quinn (who just so happens to be the brother-in-law of Packers LB A.J. Hawk). Trade talks involving star WR Braylon Edwards have not surprisingly quieted now that WR Donte Stallworth is expected to miss part, if not all, of the season due to suspension. Browns first-round draft choice, OL Alex Mack, is signed and in camp. Former Brookfield Central and University of Wisconsin star Joe Thomas, the Pro Bowl left tackle, enters his third season with the Browns. Two former Packers are currently listed on Cleveland's roster: DT Corey Williams and RB Noah Herron.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago
It's going to be interesting to see the D-line play... or what's left of it currently. Last time I checked, Montgomery and Wynn where playing with the 1st team due to injury problems. Ooh Raji, get your ass in camp. Same goes for the starting Thompson/Matthews and Jenkins, as they'll face one of the best LTs in the league. If he's playing.

It's going to be interesting to see the O-line play as well. The Browns don't have a real pass-rush, so we're lucky in that department, but they do have a pretty overpowering D-line with some amazing talent. It's going to be interesting to see how strong our O-line really is. Hoping to see some flashes of brilliance by Giacomini and, maybe, Meredith.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
Other battles will be:

FB- Will the rookie Johnson take over the top spot? Most likely not in preseason game 1. Who will also make the team, Hall or Kuhn?

WR- who will end up in the #5 & 6 positions. Ruvell Martin most likely will. That leaves 5 players (Allen, Swain, Harris, Heckendorf and Williams) going for 1 position (if they keep 6) or a slot on the taxi squad.

QB- The ever present question of who is the backup QB. Will Brohm put things together this year and move back ahead of Flynn?

OL-
There are a couple of possiblities at C- Wells or Spitz.
RG-Spitz or Sitton
and of course Pack93z already mentioned RT with Barbre vs Giacomini.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago

FB- Will the rookie Johnson take over the top spot? Most likely not in preseason game 1. Who will also make the team, Hall or Kuhn?

"wpr" wrote:

Side note here.. first I heard of this was reading this the other day.. Explains why he has been getting a ton of reps so far in camp.. will be interesting to see how he does in a game setting.

Source of Course.. 

We hear two particular Packers who have been struggling in the early stages of training camp are free agent-addition Duke Preston, who has had some problems adjusting to an unfamiliar role at left guard, and fifth-round FB Quinn Johnson, who has had trouble catching the ball out of the backfield and grasping the playbook.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Side note here.. first I heard of this was reading this the other day.. Explains why he has been getting a ton of reps so far in camp.. will be interesting to see how he does in a game setting.

Source of Course.. 

We hear two particular Packers who have been struggling in the early stages of training camp are free agent-addition Duke Preston, who has had some problems adjusting to an unfamiliar role at left guard, and fifth-round FB Quinn Johnson, who has had trouble catching the ball out of the backfield and grasping the playbook.

"wpr" wrote:

From reading the tweets, he's been struggling with more than just catching the ball. He's been whiffing quite a few blocks in the passing game as well and hasn't been that dominating in the running game.

If he wheren't a 5th round pick, I'd say that he'd end up on our practice squad for the year. Problem is, he might be signed to a team the day we stash him there. I know I would.

And that's an interesting battle as well, WPR. The WR one. I don't know how save Ruvell's place is. Looking around the forum though, it's safer than I think it is. Again, from reading these tweest, JaRon Harris and Heckendorf have been really impressive. Swain and Allen have had their fare share of catches as well. Haven't heared a lot about Williams and just a little about Ruvell, but I can imagine that they'd update us more often on rookies than on a 5th year player.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Source of Course.. 

"pack93z" wrote:

"wpr" wrote:

From reading the tweets, he's been struggling with more than just catching the ball. He's been whiffing quite a few blocks in the passing game as well and hasn't been that dominating in the running game.

If he wheren't a 5th round pick, I'd say that he'd end up on our practice squad for the year. Problem is, he might be signed to a team the day we stash him there. I know I would.

And that's an interesting battle as well, WPR. The WR one. I don't know how save Ruvell's place is. Looking around the forum though, it's safer than I think it is. Again, from reading these tweest, JaRon Harris and Heckendorf have been really impressive. Swain and Allen have had their fare share of catches as well. Haven't heared a lot about Williams and just a little about Ruvell, but I can imagine that they'd update us more often on rookies than on a 5th year player.

You could be right about Revell, Rock. I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt in preseason week 1. A #5 is not safe on any team.
UserPostedImage
JNelson87
14 years ago
I'm excited to see what Thompson can do in the 3-4. I want to see Matthews play though.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
Outside of watching the linebackers and Safeties this weekend.. I think I am going to tune in also for the punting game.. hidden yards every game.

http://www.packershome.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&p=80463#80463 

I hope to see progress from both backup QB's, I want to see the "highlight" reel worthy camp Finley has put together and anxious to see TJ Lang work in pro level game action.. see if he is as well prepared as I think he is through the film I could find around the net..
tromadz
14 years ago
If the purpose of this thread was to give me a raging football boner, you have succeeded.

One more day!
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Soooooo, I guess Raji will not be playing in this game? He knows the play book he just wasn't in any team meetings or anything.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : He slammed Rodgers for not being married. And said he wants his QB settled down, not single.
wpr (10h) : NOT
wpr (10h) : This is such a relief. I have been so worried that Cowturd, I mean, herd would never approve of Love.
Zero2Cool (12h) : Colin Cowherd now approves of Jordan Love.
Zero2Cool (12h) : Jordan Love has proposed to his girlfriend Ronika Stone
wpr (22-Jun) : A Packer, Lion and Viking kicker were vying for a job. The bares kicker didn't even qualify.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Supposedly looked good up to this point in OTA's etc. "Monster Leg" mentioned.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Packers picked up Lions reject kicker James Turner, the guy they cut to make room for Jake Bates
Mucky Tundra (20-Jun) : And Javon Bullard missing a tackle. Win some lose some apparently
Zero2Cool (20-Jun) : Madden 25 trailer opens with Justin Fields returning a kick off hahahaha
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : Packers have released kicker Jack Podlesny.
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : I saw that today. I actually thought he passed away few years ago. 24 time All Star.
Martha Careful (19-Jun) : sad news tonight. Willie Mays passes away. He was the greatest of all time
Martha Careful (16-Jun) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
22m / Random Babble / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Jun / Around The NFL / wpr

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.