wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago
EXCELLENT QUESTION.

I was amazed at how much colleges have changed from my day to my kids. (Technology, food service, activities to name just a few.) It was as if I lived in a third world nation compared to what is offered today.

These other posts are correct. Education is one of the few things we pay good money for and then try and get as little as possible in return.

Something that I noticed happened in my Junior year. A Psychology class. The instructor (Probably a TA) was trying the well-worn line of questioning, "Is it acceptable to kill one person to spare many?" This was before Spock's death in the Star Trek movie.
After "discussing" the issue with the students for most of the class period the instructor got ticked off and more or less said that we had to agree with his ideas or risk getting the answer wrong on a test. What I learned was to remember what the instructor wants to hear, regurgitate it back on the test and then go on with my life and my principles.

Here is something else to consider, the ones who get the best grades are not always the smartest students. Those like Cheesey and Dhazer that go back to school later in life seem to understand what kind of effort it takes to succeed and are willing to make the effort. Follow their example.
It is way too easy to have a good time in school. It is much harder to have a responsible time.
The speed at which the courses go is stunning at first. Some of the classes are designed to weed out students.
Some of the instructors (even full professors) are horrible. It is hard to know who is a good instructor in your 1st semester. But before you sign up for subsequent classes ASK your friends who they had for a class. It makes a huge difference sometimes.
Finally one of the best jobs to have is to work the late night sift at the front desk at our dorm. It is a great time to do your homework without interruption. No one comes to the desk to bother you. And you get paid for it.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Those are some great tips WPR. Your educational system works a lot differently than ours, but I'm going to college next year aswell.

I'm afraid I'll have to step it up though, I haven't been doing a thing so far. I see the importance of my education, but it's so damn hard to get myself to work. I'm getting through just fine now, but I'm afraid I'll have a harder time next year.
vegOmatic
15 years ago
I'll pretty much repeat everyone else:

1. Get your work done
2. Ignore peer pressure, you're accountable only to yourself

I'll add:

1. Get help if you're struggling with any courses
2. Some classes, it's cheaper and easier to take them in a community college during the summer, such as Accounting and Chemistry 101. Make sure credits will transfer.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago

Those are some great tips WPR. Your educational system works a lot differently than ours, but I'm going to college next year aswell.

I'm afraid I'll have to step it up though, I haven't been doing a thing so far. I see the importance of my education, but it's so damn hard to get myself to work. I'm getting through just fine now, but I'm afraid I'll have a harder time next year.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

You HAVE to be self motivated, or you won't make it. You will be throwing your money away.
Had i gone to college right after high school, it would have been a waste. I didn't apply myself, "coasted" through it. Even with that, i finished in the top third of my class. I wonder what i could have done had i really worked at it.
I went to college at age 32, and had over a 3.0 average. And i really enjoyed it, and had fun learning. I had a psychology professor that was a REAL nut case! He made the class so interesting, that i went back and took "abnormal psychology" with him. He was strange, and funny! He had this wierd habit of "tugging" at his left pants leg while he talked. Literally, EVERY pair of pants he wore had that spot wore out! His pants would have some fancy print on them, but that ONE spot, worn out! He was great! If every teacher was like him, every kid would want to learn.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago
after reading Cheesey's post I realized it was a philosophy class that I was thinking about not psychology.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago

after reading Cheesey's post I realized it was a philosophy class that I was thinking about not psychology.

"wpr" wrote:

Me in psychology.......whoda thunk it???LOLOL!!! :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I'm going to go to college in august, graduating soon. I wanted to know how you all adjusted to a completely different life? I'm just a little nervous whenever I think about it. Whats it really like compared to High school?

"El3ment12" wrote:

More hoo hoos.

You'll love it.

On a serious note, are you mature enough to go to college? I'm not asking this to insult you, but it's a serious question.

I wasn't right away. A lot of folks weren't. My first roommate at the 4-year school I went to wasn't either and dropped out. He used to get drunk every night and sometimes would pee in his sleep because he'd be so drunk. He had no business being in college.

The adjustments are huge. You're on your own. Some folks simply aren't ready for it. Some are.

I'm all for partying, but make sure you get your work done FIRST. Then celebrate. Also, beware of STDs. STDs are a reality in college. You don't want one. I take pride in never getting one and knew several people who did, and heard graphic descriptions of what they're like. You don't want to find that out first hand.

Now that we've scared you, on the flip side, college should be the best time of your life. You are free to do pretty much anything. Just make sure you get your work done.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
TheEngineer
15 years ago

1. Get help if you're struggling with any courses
2. Some classes, it's cheaper and easier to take them in a community college during the summer, such as Accounting and Chemistry 101. Make sure credits will transfer.

"vegOmatic" wrote:

I would be wary of the quality of teaching you receive from a community college relative to university. I don't want to devalue the education you receive from community colleges but do investigate the difficulty in the summer school curriculum and then you can make an informed decision.

I did take 1 summer school unit (Company Law in 7 weeks is not as fun as it sounded when I applied, being the only time I could fit it in), but with the same institution that I am an undergraduate at.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago

On a serious note, are you mature enough to go to college? I'm not asking this to insult you, but it's a serious question.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

For me it was motivated.. are you ready for a four year grind. I wasn't motivated at first when I got to college.. call it burnt out from high school among other things.. mostly not playing ball in college like I had planned.. I should have taken a break from it.

Anyway.. with all the distractions that come with being in college you have to have a strong drive to succeed in college. There will be no one telling you that you have to get something done.. it will be all upon your shoulders to push yourself.. even when other things may try to distract you from the grind (Mostly Blonde, Brunette, and Redheaded fair skinned types.)

College can be a absolute blast, and if you allow it, too much of one to be honest.

For me, I made a daily list I had to complete before bailing out to do something else.. and I would punish myself if I strayed.. it was the only way I could have made it through.. and it sucked at times.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
TheEngineer
15 years ago
To follow up on motivation, you have to know yourself whether you're studying the right course for you. If you feel that it's not in your best interests to complete the degree, then make sure you consult career advisors, parents, lecturers, anyone you need to, to make an informed decision. But do not confuse incompatibility with laziness. You need to look at yourself and ask if you're really against the entire law profession or you just can't be bothered learning the facts in Donoghue v Stevenson.
blank
Fan Shout
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.