Mucky Tundra
a year ago

Even backup QB Sean Clifford got on the field in Sunday’s game as the Packers won by three possessions.

The Green Bay Packers  blew out the Chicago Bears  38-20 on Sunday afternoon, starting off the 2023 regular season with a massively encouraging performance against their NFC North rivals. Jordan Love showed the poise and arm talent that made him a first-round draft pick three years ago, and he gave the Bears the same kind of fits that they are used to having against Packers quarterbacks for three decades.

This game went well enough for the Packers that they were comfortable making mass substitutions on both sides of the football midway through the fourth quarter, having taken a 24-point lead after a pick-six by linebacker Quay Walker. The game state gave a few of the team’s young players some significant reps, which should help them and the coaching staff a bit moving forward.

The one notable injury to watch this week will be to Aaron Jones, who did not return after tweaking a hamstring on his second touchdown of the day. That allowed AJ Dillon to lead the running back unit in touches and snaps (although just barely), but Jones sounded optimistic after the game about the issue and said he could have returned if needed.

Here’s a look at the playing time for the Packers on Sunday.

OFFENSE (60 total snaps)

Quarterbacks

Jordan Love 55, Sean Clifford 5

Love’s second career start was an excellent and efficient one, as he posted a passer rating of 123.2 and a QBR of 73.4. Love threw three touchdowns, making him one of just three quarterbacks to do so in week one, but he did so on just 27 attempts — half the number of throws it took Mac Jones to do it (54) and still significantly fewer than Tua Tagavailoa (45).

The Packers were up by enough late that they were able to bring Clifford on for a few snaps as a human victory cigar.

Running Backs

AJ Dillon 29, Aaron Jones 28, Patrick Taylor 7

Aside from Love’s excellent debut as the Packers’ permanent starter, Jones was the other big star on offense for the Packers. His 127 yards from scrimmage were tied for sixth among all players in the NFL in week 1, and his 11.5 yards per touch dwarfed the next-closest running back, Austin Ekeler at 8.2.

But for as explosive and dynamic as Jones was, Dillon was the opposite. He had a dismal 19 yards on 13 carries — two more carries than Jones’ 11 total touches. In fact, Taylor out-gained Dillon, posting 22 rushing yards on just five rushing attempts.

Wide Receivers

Dontayvion Wicks 37, Jayden Reed 32, Malik Heath 29, Romeo Doubs 29, Samori Toure 21

The Packers expected to keep Romeo Doubs’ reps limited in this game and did so, as he tied for just third among all wideouts in snaps. Our Justis Mosqueda broke down the Packers’ receiver usage in detail overnight to give a better idea of how each player was utilized, so be sure to check that out here . But Doubs was the star among the wideout group, catching a pair of touchdowns.

Tight Ends

Luke Musgrave 45, Josiah Deguara 19, Tucker Kraft 13, Ben Sims 9

It’s clear that Musgrave is and will be the Packers’ TE1 this season as long as he stays healthy. He ended up playing just 75 percent of the snaps in week one, but that was only because the Packers kept him off the field late when the game was out of reach. Musgrave caught three passes for 50 yards, and would have had more — perhaps a touchdown — if not for a missed connection with Love when he was wide open on another target.

Deguara was on the field primarily as a wing and a fullback, as usual, while Kraft got a few reps on the wing and in-line late. Sims came in as a blocking tight end for a handful of snaps, largely playing in-line.

Offensive Linemen

Josh Myers 60, Jon Runyan Jr. 60, David Bakhtiari 55, Elgton Jenkins 55, Zach Tom 55, Rasheed Walker 7, Yosh Nijman 5, Royce Newman 5

The Packers got a full game from Bakhtiari, whose only snaps off the field came when the team put on the bulk of the backups. That gave Nijman, Newman, and Walker their snaps, though Walker did see two reps as a sixth offensive lineman in jumbo sets. All told, the line kept Love exceptionally clean, as he took just three hits all game.

DEFENSE (74 total snaps)

Defensive Linemen

T.J. Slaton 40, Kenny Clark 38, Colby Wooden 36, Devonte Wyatt 30, Karl Brooks 29

The Packers got after quarterback Justin Fields with regularity on Sunday afternoon, and the interior line very much did its part. Of the team’s six official QB hits, five of them came from the linemen, with two each from Clark and Wyatt and another from Brooks. Each of those players recorded at least a half-sack — Clark had 0.5 and a forced fumble, Wyatt recorded 1.5, and Brooks had one.

Outside Linebackers

J.J. Enagbare 41, Lukas Van Ness 35, Preston Smith 35, Justin Hollins 25, Rashan Gary 12

The Packers’ other official QB hit came from Van Ness, who got the team’s first sack of the season and the first of his career by chasing down a scrambling Fields in the backfield. Gary stuck to a very limited snap count, playing almost exclusively on third and fourth downs, but he had a whopping five pressures on ten pass-rushing snaps in the game, including one sack that was erased by a defensive penalty.

Meanwhile, Enagbare was the starter in Gary’s place rather than Van Ness or Hollins, but the team went through a five-man rotation consistently throughout the game to keep all of these players fresh.

Inside Linebackers

De’Vondre Campbell 55, Quay Walker 49, Isaiah McDuffie 19, Eric Wilson 10

When using five defensive backs in this game, the Packers largely stuck to a conventional two-linebacker nickel look rather than the penny packages that they used heavily the past two years with just a single linebacker. Walker made the biggest play by this unit of the day, drifting back into zone coverage and intercepting Fields before returning the pick for a touchdown. Walker did take a big hit crossing the goal line, however, and did not return amid a concussion evaluation; that and the team’s move to the second string midway through the fourth quarter gave McDuffie and Wilson some snaps late.

Safeties

Rudy Ford 69, Darnell Savage 60, Jonathan Owens 14, Dallin Leavitt 5

The mass substitution also gave Owens and Leavitt a few snaps apiece as the Packers suited up just four of the six safeties on their roster. Savage played one of his better games as a pro in this one, however, looking instinctive and attacking ball-carriers with regularity as he led the team in tackles with 10. Ford struggled, on the other hand; he did not tackle well nor did he take good angles to the football.

Cornerbacks

Rasul Douglas 74, Keisean Nixon 57, Jaire Alexander 56, Carrington Valentine 20, Innis Gaines 5

The Packers moved Alexander across the field in this game, largely having him shadow new Bears receiver D.J. Moore. That was a smashing success, as Moore had just two receptions for 25 yards on the day. Meanwhile, Douglas was the only Packers defender to play every snap, and he tied for second on the team in tackles with 8. Douglas also recovered a fumble and broke up a pass in the end zone intended for Cole Kmet. Nixon was his usual solid presence in the slot, while Valentine was the Packers’ dime cornerback, getting a few reps on the outside with Douglas moving to the interior.

SPECIAL TEAMS LEADERS

Leavitt 22, Owens 20, Gaines 19, McDuffie 19, Wilson 19, Deguara 14, Savage 12

Continue Reading @ Evan "Tex" Western 

Evan "Tex" Western wrote:

I noticed Walker being used as a 6th man on the line during the game. I think the coaching staff really likes him and are trying to get him as much experience as possible. Also Gary with 5 pressures in 10 snaps? Better get that extension done soon Gute or the price is gonna go up after each game.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
greengold
a year ago
Safeties
Rudy Ford 69, ... Ford struggled, on the other hand; he did not tackle well nor did he take good angles to the football.

He also had a pretty dumb penalty if I remember right.
beast
a year ago

I noticed Walker being used as a 6th man on the line during the game. I think the coaching staff really likes him and are trying to get him as much experience as possible. Also Gary with 5 pressures in 10 snaps? Better get that extension done soon Gute or the price is gonna go up after each game.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

Based on what LaFleaur said, I think Walker is getting TE reps because they don't have a good blocking TE since Lewis left, Davis is injured, and Kraft and Sims don't seem ready yet.

Yeah Gary had a great game, in his very limited action.

The IOL needs to pick it up though.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (12h) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (12h) : *without
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (12h) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (12h) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (13h) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (14h) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (19h) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (20h) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
55m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.