Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
As the Holidays approach , preparing in advance of the feast can make for a more enjoyable time with family and friends . Not waiting until the last minute is always better than having to rush around buying what is needed and hoping that it has not sold out .

As for me, I'm only a part of my family's holiday festivities , but still I have my part to play.

I've been the hand that makes the Gravy on Thanksgiving for many years , but will this year I'll try to pass on that task to a nephew who regularly works as a restaurant chief . He will do well and I trust him . I will however supply him with ingredients and advice as needed .

Another thing that I've found helps greatly is to be stocked with certain over the counter meds. 1st is a product called "Beano" and it has come to be one of my most important pre-feast got to have's . With all of the different savory foods , gas can and has make it a misery instead of a jolly time . Another is to be sure that I have a supply of "Keopectate" . Sometimes something may not be just right with that whipped cream you had on that slice of pie, so always be prepared.

I also like my holiday Bourbon and Ginger Ale . I like to have a supply on hand before the holiday crush .

If any of you would like to share a great holiday recipe for a Casserole or a Desert or a Mixed Drink , please feel free to do so and thanks .

Happy Holidays

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
My wife got me an early Christmas present, a new fangled pressure cooker she saw on TV. I tried it out, cooking a corn beef brisket with cabbage and red taters. I usually would cook that in a slow cooker for 12 hours.
Well, I did 50 minutes in the pressure cooker, and it turned out awesome!
UserPostedImage
hardrocker950
6 years ago

My wife got me an early Christmas present, a new fangled pressure cooker she saw on TV. I tried it out, cooking a corn beef brisket with cabbage and red taters. I usually would cook that in a slow cooker for 12 hours.
Well, I did 50 minutes in the pressure cooker, and it turned out awesome!

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

The more you use it, the more you will appreciate it. I also received my pressure cooker as a gift, and it gets lots of use. They can handle pretty much anything a slow cooker can, but in a fraction of the time.

Try chicken noodle soup in it some time, it literally takes less than an hour to cook.
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
Cheesey , hardrocker950 that is outstanding. Crock Pots and Pressure Cookers are wonderful.
Would a Turkey work in one ?

I too like the meat specialties , but I also like those dishes that usually only appear on the holiday menus . Dishes like Stuffing and Green Bean Casserole and fruit/jello and Spoon Bread make my mouth water .

I don't care for Squash or Broccoli dishes , nor Okra of any preparation. I like the rolls that are served each year, but no attempts are ever made to vary that meal staple. Biscuits or Sour Dough Rolls would be a welcome change.

No one in my greater family Bakes Pie's or Cakes anymore . They buy it frozen or made by the Grocery Store Baker . I have discovered a source to buy custom baked goods , but it is beyond my budget .

Still looking for recipes folks !

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
I would think it would work for turkey (or chicken). I just don't know if it would brown like an oven. As far as I know, it really cuts the cooking time, and leaves the meat VERY juicy and tender.
Being as turkey can be kind of dry, I would think that would make it taste better.
I just haven't tried that yet.
UserPostedImage
hardrocker950
6 years ago
The only real issue with poultry in a pressure cooker is you won't get the traditional crispy skin due to the humidity that these cookers produce. What you do gain however is that these cookers are amazing at adding flavor deep into meats. It will typically fall off the bone, so it would make the "carving" part much easier.

If you want the traditional turkey, you are best off doing it in the oven.
Smokey
  • Smokey
6 years ago
My Holiday beverage of choice is Bourbon/Ginger Ale . Some like to drink Wine . I would think however that most like Cold Beer the best .

What is your Holiday beverage of choice ? [thumbup]

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
Hey hardrocker! Read this thread to my wife. She wants to know, if we have any pressure cooker advise, can we ask you?
And any recipe ideas of things you have cooked?
She bought me an Irish cookbook, and wants me too try some of the recipes.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
As deer camp is on the horizon

Friday - Fish Fry and Venison
Saturday - Shredded Venison sandwiches (sort of like pulled pork)
Sunday - Pork Fried Rice.
Monday - Left overs
Tuesday - Left overs
Wednesday - Venison Tenderloin, Lobster tail, Crab legs, Shrimp and Scallops
Thursday - Turkey and fixins
Friday-Sunday - the rest of the leftovers.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Cheesey
6 years ago
Wow packfan.....some deer camp!!!
I'll be going up north on Friday, and probably hunting through Monday. (Unless I get lucky and score early!) I'll be in the woods by myself. No deer camp to go to.
But I'm just happy to be able to go for the first time in 3 years!
UserPostedImage
Similar Topics
Users browsing this topic
    Fan Shout
    Martha Careful (23h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
    Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
    Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
    buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
    buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
    Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
    jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
    Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
    Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
    Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
    Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
    wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
    jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
    jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
    jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
    Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
    Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
    Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
    Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
    Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
    Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
    Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
    buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
    Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
    Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
    Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
    Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
    Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
    Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
    Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
    dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
    Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
    beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
    Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
    Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
    Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
    Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
    buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
    buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
    Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
    beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
    Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
    CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
    buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2024 Packers Schedule
    Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
    Eagles
    Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
    COLTS
    Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
    Titans
    Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
    Rams
    Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
    CARDINALS
    Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
    TEXANS
    Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
    Jaguars
    Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
    LIONS
    Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
    49ERS
    Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
    DOLPHINS
    Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
    Seahawks
    Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
    SAINTS
    Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
    Vikings
    Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
    BEARS
    Recent Topics
    20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.