Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
While we've talked about who the Packers might take at #21, who do you think might be possible trade partners (up or down)? I know a lot of us would rather just stand pat at #21 and take BPA, but this is Ted Thompson we're talking about.

Trading down or out of the first round
-Browns: They've got the #26 thanks to the Colts. Could want to move up to take a QB.
-49ers: While I hate the idea of helping this team get any fine tuning done, they are loaded with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds (1 comp) and they're feeling the heat as they went from emerging NFC power to Seattles second fiddle
-Washington: Because let's face it, this franchise is almost too stupid to not to try and take advantage of them

As far as trading up goes, I can see the Raiders being a potential trade partner in the 2nd or 3rd round. McKenzie is out there and trying to rebuild.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
uffda udfa
10 years ago
New England should also be mentioned just due to their history and their history with us. Ted Thompson likes to go down (sounds horrible) to improve his odds of hitting. It really makes sense considering he seems so much better outside the first round. I don't think he likes that pressure of Round 1 considering how it's gone for him. Trading out would be a dream for him unless his Clay Matthews is there this year.

Maybe, this time, they want to come up a few spots.

Info and rumors are going to start coming hot and heavy now... everyone is making their way to NYC.

Should be a fun, fun, fun week and made more fun because everyone is so anxious due to the extra wait.

Do you think under any circumstances Ted Thompson would give up next year's 1 to move up for a guy he deems special?
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Maybe if we didn't win the division last year I could see that happening, but one pick in the first round you either hit it or move back I think.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
uffda udfa
10 years ago
Here's some potential good news for those who want to trade down. Teams are telling Derek Carr they want to take him in the 20's. 21 may be blackjack for some team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/04/derek-carr-says-teams-tell-him-theyd-like-to-pick-him-in-the-20s/ 
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
1. I think there are four primary scenarios which can possibly trading-down partners might be more likely than usual at #21 and again sometime between #21 and the #21 in the second round. The kind that could lead not just Snyder or Spielman or Jones or whoever is in control in Cleveland this year to overpay in trading up, but could lead to additional teams aiming for this or that player/position:

Scenario A: If most of the teams rumored to be "going QB" don't do so with their first round. Then somewhere between 21 and 21 becomes ripe for trading up to get one of the QB.

Scenario B: (Ironically, given the preference of so many Packer fans) If either Calvin Pryor and/or C. J. Mosley are still available when GB comes on the clock. These are IMO the two players the most teams located between 21 and 10 in the draft order are most likely to covet.

Scenario C: Wide receiver. I think this is the one position more than any that has a number of players who are rated all over the board between 15 to 50: Lee, Cooks, Beckham, Benjamin, Moncrief, Adams. And receivers, being "skill" players, are going to be especially sexy to the idiot GMs. I wouldn't be surprised if any of these meant a bit of bidding, or if one or two of them going led to a mini-run.

Scenario 😨 An unexpected run on DL or OL. There's a fair amount of "trenches" and "pass rush" talent out there between #15 and #75. One team decides that Joel Botonio or Gabe Jackson or Ju'Wan James is a first round talent, then Richardson and Mewhort and Su'a-Filo get bopped up to late 1st/early second. Similar on defensive side with Hageman, Tuitt, Jeffcoat, Smith, et al. Maybe its because I'm always looking DL and, especially, OL, even when the rest of you aren't, but I think these are probably the most likely to give rise position-wise to trade down opportunities in rounds 1 and 2 in this draft.

2. Trading up -- I just don't see it. I think it takes a major Rodgers-like fall by someone like Sammy Watkins or Justin Gilbert. And even then I'd be surprised, because this is a year where the Packers have more than the usual needs and a year where the draft is very deep. The only picks that are going to help move up are the 2nd, 3rd, and (maybe) the 4th, and the opportunities available in the top 100 are too many to give up one or more of your four shots there.

3. Trading next year's number 1? ISTM that might happen only when two conditions exist (neither of which do this year):
i. There's a once-in-a-lifetime player available and the extra 1 will be sufficient to get him. The only such players in this draft (Clowney, Robinson, Matthews, Watkins, maybe Mack, are going to need more than that #1. From spot #21, you're talking Lawrence Welk land.
And even if somehow one of those falls far enough, the second condition doesn't hold this year either:
2. You're one magic player away. None of those players by themselves are going to be enough of a draft to put the Packers over the top. Even the most optimistic of KoolAid drinkers have to admit (or should) that the Packers need a minimum of two, and probably at least three, above-average starters from among the following:
a. Safety.
b. ILB.
c. TE.
d. WR.
e. DT.
f. OT.

That is, unless (i) you think Hyde/Richardson fulltime will be fine at FS
AND
(ii) you think either Bahktiari or Sherrod will definitely fulfill their potential this year.
AND
(iii) you think it's sufficient having a tight end starter who after 4 years needs to settle for not much more than vet minimum to get a new contract
AND
(iv) you think that losing Jennings and Jones in consecutive years doesn't require a high round replacement from this year's draft
AND
(v) you are confident that Year Five (or is it six?) will be the year B J Raji dominates multiple blockers consistently for an entire year;
AND
(vi) You think Brad Jones is just fine as one of the starting linebackers.

Ted might surprise us some year and give up a #1 (his mentor did for a certain Atlanta bench-warmer, after all). But I can't see it happening this year.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
luigis
10 years ago
The Jets at #18 or the Dolphins at #19 are firm candidates for a trade up if our board starts to get thin and we want to jump over the Cardinals. I can see this scenario as possible if CJ Mosley is available at #18 or #19.

New England is a good candidate for a trade down.

Luis
play2win
10 years ago

While we've talked about who the Packers might take at #21, who do you think might be possible trade partners (up or down)? I know a lot of us would rather just stand pat at #21 and take BPA, but this is Ted Thompson we're talking about.

Trading down or out of the first round
-Browns: They've got the #26 thanks to the Colts. Could want to move up to take a QB.
-49ers: While I hate the idea of helping this team get any fine tuning done, they are loaded with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds (1 comp) and they're feeling the heat as they went from emerging NFC power to Seattles second fiddle
-Washington: Because let's face it, this franchise is almost too stupid to not to try and take advantage of them

As far as trading up goes, I can see the Raiders being a potential trade partner in the 2nd or 3rd round. McKenzie is out there and trying to rebuild.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

I still see HOU as a team who may want to jump back into R1 ahead of CLE's #26 to select a QB. Especially if they take Clowney.

TEN's refusal to take the option on Locher makes them another team up top who may be looking for a QB.

http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp 
uffda udfa
10 years ago
drafttek looks pretty foolish with this blurb on the Packers 1st round selection. Johnathan Cyprien? He's already in the league. It's too bad we can't draft some players already in the league. I agree with those who note we don't even play SF this season. Yes, we could face them in the playoffs but to draft some guy solely for the idea of stopping a QB we may not face isn't very bright.

While it would be a tough decision to pass on Johnathan Cyprien, the Packers have other safeties in their crosshairs for RD2 and 3. In Round One, they're hoping for someone who can make an impact right away. After watching Packers linebackers not named Matthews fruitlessly try to lay a hand on Colin Kaepernick over the last two seasons, Green Bay drafts their "Kaepernick Killer." Combine his 4.4 speed with an explosive closing to the ball, and the Packers' chances to get past the 49ers in the playoffs instantly improve. He's a huge impact upgrade from AJ Hawk and Brad Jones.
Highlight Video
- Al Bracco - Jersey Al's AllGreenBayPackers.com
UserPostedImage

play2win
10 years ago

drafttek looks pretty foolish with this blurb on the Packers 1st round selection. Johnathan Cyprien? He's already in the league. It's too bad we can't draft some players already in the league. I agree with those who note we don't even play SF this season. Yes, we could face them in the playoffs but to draft some guy solely for the idea of stopping a QB we may not face isn't very bright.

While it would be a tough decision to pass on Johnathan Cyprien, the Packers have other safeties in their crosshairs for RD2 and 3. In Round One, they're hoping for someone who can make an impact right away. After watching Packers linebackers not named Matthews fruitlessly try to lay a hand on Colin Kaepernick over the last two seasons, Green Bay drafts their "Kaepernick Killer." Combine his 4.4 speed with an explosive closing to the ball, and the Packers' chances to get past the 49ers in the playoffs instantly improve. He's a huge impact upgrade from AJ Hawk and Brad Jones.
Highlight Video
- Al Bracco - Jersey Al's AllGreenBayPackers.com

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I'm pretty sure the Cyprien comment was intended to be figurative. We needed a S last year....

Adding defenders who can range and make stops should be at the top of our list, regardless of who we play. Our run D and pass D were both abysmal last year.

Since the thread is about trades, I'm hoping we trade away an R1 from next year for another R2 this year. I believe that would be brilliant in such a deep draft.
TheKanataThrilla
10 years ago

I still see HOU as a team who may want to jump back into R1 ahead of CLE's #26 to select a QB. Especially if they take Clowney.

TEN's refusal to take the option on Locher makes them another team up top who may be looking for a QB.

http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp 

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Jake Locker would have been paid $14M dollars if they picked it up. Could be another Sherrod situation where they may like the guy and want to see him around, but not at the option price.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (22h) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.