Zero2Cool
10 years ago

Thumbs up: The Green Bay Packers knew that they were getting a big, strong, fast athlete in Datone Jones. But could the team really have envisioned this? The 6-foot-4, 285-pound Jones not only has shown impressive power and strength doing his primary job on the defensive line, but on Tuesday, he lined up on both the kickoff coverage and punt coverage units during the special teams period. Packers coach Mike McCarthy couldn't remember the last defensive lineman to serve on kickoff coverage — Packer Report writer Bill Huber helped the coach's memory by mentioning 2011 seventh-round pick Lawrence Guy, now with Indianapolis — and while Jones may not serve in that capacity on opening day, the fact that the coaches feel he's capable says a lot. "He can run. He's a major match-up problem," McCarthy said of Jones. "But we'll work him as a back-up. I don't see that as a primary role for Datone. But he has a unique skillset and it's important for our young guys to come in and make sure they're ready to go on special teams."

Thumbs down:The No. 1 priority for a Packers running back has been clear for quite a while now. If former running backs coach Edgar Bennett, now the team's wide receivers coach, has said it once, he's said it a thousand times: It's not to run the ball productively, which is third on the list; it's not to protect the football and not fumble, which is second on the list. It's to protect the quarterback at all costs. In the first such drill of camp, the running backs failed in their duel with the outside linebackers. Doing a blitz pickup drill early in practice that was reminiscent of the old Nutcracker drill, Kevin Greene's guys got the better of Alex Van Pelt's crew. Although the drill inherently favors the defense, the backs need to do better than they did, especially rookie Johnathan Franklin, who has the looks of an effective third-down back if he can handle the blitz pickup part of the gig. "I felt like the outside linebackers clearly got the best of the running backs today," McCarthy said. "We were too high. We weren't sitting down. We didn't have our head up. So it'll be good tape to watch. So that's a drill I'm sure we'll do again."

Play of the day:Rookie Eddie Lacy was terrific during the red-zone period, but James Starks continues his resurgence. The oft-injured running back had another excellent run in 11-on-11, and he might've had another big gain on a catch-and-run if not for Jones' athleticism. During the team run period, Jones dropped off the line of scrimmage and into coverage, filled the void in the middle of the field and, when No. 3 quarterback B.J Coleman tried to hit Starks across the middle, swatted the ball away with a defensive back's ease.

Camp confidential:McCarthy is usually leery of practices that come after a day off. The coach's feeling is that the day of rest frequently leads to sloppiness and reduced focus. But that wasn't a problem Tuesday. Although the No. 1 offense closed practice with a failed 2-minute drill and there were other imperfections, it was a crisper practice than the team had on Sunday, when it donned pads for the first time. "I liked today's practice. Usually after a day off it doesn't usually start the way you like, but I thought the start was good," McCarthy said. "I think watching the team periods specifically, there's some back and forth. Offense made some plays, defense made some plays. Offense ran the ball well. I liked a number of things I saw in the fundamental work. I thought we definitely took a step forward today."

Injury report:Cornerback James Nixon, who saw action with the No. 1 defense earlier in practice, left with a left knee injury. Cornerback Tramon Williams (knee), who dropped out of Sunday's practice, was out and could be out two to three weeks, according to McCarthy. Also new to the injured list was offensive lineman Kevin Hughes, who McCarthy said has been having problems with headaches. Safety Chaz Powell (foot) and cornerback Davon House (illness) both practiced for the first time, although House left at the end of practice with cramps. Still sidelined were: Wide receiver Sederrick Cunningham (wrist); wide receiver Charles Johnson (knee); wide receiver Kevin Dorsey (hamstring); defensive end/outside linebacker Mike Neal (abdominal), cornerback Casey Hayward (hamstring), defensive end Jerel Worthy (knee), running back DuJuan Harris (knee), tackle Derek Sherrod (leg), offensive lineman JC Tretter (ankle) and safety Sean Richardson (neck).

Practice schedule:The Packers practice again in pads on Wednesday at 8:20 a.m.at Ray Nitschke Field, weather permitting.

Jason Wilde  wrote:

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
10 years ago

Cornerback Tramon Williams (knee), who dropped out of Sunday's practice, was out and could be out two to three weeks, according to McCarthy.

Dammit.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Was pretty bummed when I heard that during the field reports. It would be great if Hayward were available to take advantage of the opportunities in available reps at CB right now.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (6h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.