wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
What makes Lloyd NFL's 58th-best? Not his entire body of work 

Of all the selections made in NFL Network's "The Top 100 Players of 2011" series, none has struck me as more out of whack than Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Lloyd being No. 58.

The issue isn't necessarily with Lloyd being ranked as highly as he was, although I do have somewhat of a problem with that. The real issue is with how the question has been taken.

If the survey, answered by players, holds to the form of the series' title, then Lloyd is worthy of being among the top 100 players of 2011. He led all NFL receivers with 1,448 yards last season, had 11 touchdown catches and averaged 18.8 yards per grab, one of the league's best marks. His 77 catches were by far a career high.

There is no way I would have rated him above Green Bay's Greg Jennings (No. 74) or Miami's Brandon Marshall (No. 61), but based on his 2010 season, Lloyd earned top 100 consideration.

However, seeing as though players such as Washington Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb, who didn't play well last season and eventually was benched for Rex Grossman, and injured Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo also made this list, there seems to be confusion as to if the series really is about the top 100 active players, based on their entire body of work.

If that's the case, then there's no way Lloyd makes the list.

In the seven seasons before his breakout gem, Lloyd never caught more than 48 passes, and that came in 2005 when he was with the San Francisco 49ers. The Redskins traded third- and fourth-round picks for Lloyd in 2006, but he flopped during two frustrating seasons with just 25 total catches and no touchdowns. Lloyd showed flashes for the Chicago Bears -- but not much more -- in 2008 and eventually was back on the street.

The Broncos signed Lloyd, who took advantage of being in a pass-first system under former coach Josh McDaniels. Lloyd also caught a break when 2010 first-round pick Demaryius Thomas suffered a preseason foot injury, making the veteran the main target in Denver.

Lloyd should receive credit for finally seizing an opportunity. I'm not trying to diminish what he did in 2010 because he had a great season.

It's just his previous body of work that gives me pause. I guess I'm just as confused about the nature of the list as some of the players who voted.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
Statistically, Jennings was a top 5 receiver last year. It is kind of odd how the other players don't recognize that.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Statistically speaking, he is a top-5 wide receiver since 2008.
UserPostedImage
Kingkoopa
13 years ago

It is kind of odd how the other players don't recognize that.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

It's partly because he doesn't showboat and draw attention to himself and as a result he isn't always mentioned in the media in the same breath as the other guys. He also doesn't wow you with size or speed like Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson, which means he will always be underrated IMO.

Did anyone watch the top 100 reactions show yesterday? Lloyd was an arrogant jackass, who said that Jennings argument for being 74th was weak, and he was right where he should be in comparison to the other receivers in the NFL(Jennings was ranked 14th best, despite having top 5 numbers every year). Lloyd also said, "Nobody makes the catches I do". The guy has been in the league 9 years and has had 1 1,000 yard year.

Michael Irvin stood up for Jennings though when he came on the show and said Jennings was his number 1 receiver, since he made his catches when they mattered and he helped lead his team to a championship.

But, frankly, it's hard to take a list seriously, that includes a QB who was benched midway through the year, but leaves out Tramon Williams. I think the players are totally out of touch with reality.
blank
StoicFire
13 years ago
I thought I was done getting worked up about this list until I checked out several of Lloyd's top 2010 season highlight videos on YouTube...

"Nobody makes the catches I do"

I honestly don't know what he is talking about. His "best" video contained about 3 very good catches. The rest of the video (and I'm not exaggerating) featured roughly 75% catches on curl routes versus largely bad secondaries.

But what is perhaps more frustrating coming from a fan of a great YAC receiving corp, is that Lloyd seems to go to the ground gratuitously on the majority of his "big" catches. He could easily get more yards, but he falls over (sometimes avoiding a hit) then gets up and celebrates!!!

Anyway, the article sums up the whole situation very well. I just wanted to contribute these details so no one else has to suffer through his highlight videos wondering if his rank was anywhere near justified.

"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
porky88
13 years ago
The biggest problem with this list in general is that it was decided on by the players. Players play. I'd leave the evaluations up to GMs, coaches, and scouts. That's a list I'd like to see instead of what NFL Network decided to do.

vikesrule
13 years ago

Statistically speaking, he is a top-5 wide receiver since 2008.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Going by regular season stats for WR's, Greg Jennings hasn't even broken the top ten for years 2008-2010.

2008 - Greg Jennings ranked # 13
2009 - Greg Jennings ranked # 21
2010 - Greg Jennings ranked # 15

NFL.com WR rankings 

Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Going by regular season stats for WR's, Greg Jennings hasn't even broken the top ten for years 2008-2010.

2008 - Greg Jennings ranked # 13
2009 - Greg Jennings ranked # 21
2010 - Greg Jennings ranked # 15

NFL.com WR rankings 

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

WR are ranked by receptions over yards?

Yards
2010 - 4
2009 - 14
2008 - 6

Touchdowns
2010 - 15
2009 - 21
2008 - 7

UserPostedImage
vikesrule
13 years ago

WR are ranked by receptions over yards?

Yards
2010 - 4
2009 - 14
2008 - 6

Touchdowns
2010 - 15
2009 - 21
2008 - 7

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

My bad, I'll buy that

But for 2010, Jennings is still behind Brandon Lloyd no matter how you look at it.
And his 2 fumbles did not help either
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (7h) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

1h / GameDay Threads / wpr

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.