Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Don't know why for sure.. but this story struck me and felt it worthy of posting.

Love Is Forever
Posted by PATRICK EDABURN in At TMV.
Dec 20th, 2010

For most teenagers love means trips to the movies, stolen kisses behind the bleachers and the heartbreak of that first breakup.

For Sabrina Parker and Matt Scozzari it means a whole lot more .

The two began dating after Matt, in his own words, got up the nerve to ask her out. Over the next three months things seemed perfect to them, but Matt noticed that Sabrina seemed ill. She was tired easily, she sometimes had trouble speaking, she was losing weight. [img_r]http://media.kansas.com/smedia/2010/12/18/13/184Sabrina_Twilight.sff.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.80.jpg[/img_r]

When he asked if she was ok she told him it was fine, the doctor was treating her.

What she did not tell him was that only a month after they started dating she had been diagnosed with ALS, better known as Lou Gehrigs disease and the prognosis was not good.

Finally after her surprise sweet 16 party two of her friends, both in tears, broke the news to Matt.

He was obviously devastated but when Sabrina asked him if he was going to leave her because of the diagnosis he responded I will never leave you, no matter what.

For both of them facing trials in life was not new.

Sabrinas grandmother and mother both died from ALS. Matt had been diagnosed with a mild learning disability, had endured teasing from schoolmates due to speech problems and had watched his grandmother die from cancer. But both overcame these problems.

As their romance progresses the terminal nature of ALS was always in the back of their minds. Over time Sabrina grew weaker but Matt was always there, acting as her supporter, her helper and when speech became difficult her interpeter.

When the Make A Wish foundation arranged a trip to Orlando for the family Matt joined them. When Sabrina was unable to ride an attraction Matt stayed by her side. Despite her illness they attended prom together and were elected king and queen.

The only real burden hanging over them was the fact that they would nto spend their lives together. Matt would always start talking about when we get married until his mom explained why that would be impossible.

But she had an alternative, a friendship ceremony which would allow them to experience a wedding like event and it would allow Matt to tell Sabrina it was ok to let go. As his mom explained patients often fight until they feel like loved ones will allow them to let go.

On November 20th, 2010 they and their families shared a ceremony that was in every sense of the word a true wedding.

Nine days later Matt got the call that he should come to the hospital as quickly as possible.

He spent the night holding *his wifes* hand until she died in her sleep the next morning.

If there is a better example of true love I have yet to see it.

And if there is a better example of two amazing teenagers

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
And yet so many people say that teenagers are too young to know what love means.

What a beautiful story. Everyone should read this. Love isn't a feeling -- it's a choice. It's an action. It's what you do. This young man loved that young woman till death parted them. He probably knows more about what true love means than a lot of people twice his age.

Thank you for sharing this story. I am touched.

EDIT: Wow, I just read the original story in the Washington Post. I am utterly choked up.

The Scozzaris could tell that their 15-year-old son was madly in love with this terminally ill girl. And it worried them.

Matt began starting sentences with, "When Sabrina and I get married ..." Sabrina had taken to calling herself Sabrina Kay Scozzari, even sometimes signing her notes that way.

Finally, Audrey Scozzari sat her son down and explained that marriage, though not impossible, was impractical. Then she suggested an alternative.

"You know, they have something called a friendship ceremony," she told Matt. "That could be your way of letting her experience what a wedding would be like."

Matt loved the idea. But he wanted to get Sabrina's grandparents' consent before asking her.

Zelma Parker thought it was a sweet idea, but her husband had mixed feelings about a formal ceremony with a minister. It was bad enough for a boy to lose a girlfriend, he thought. Still, he went along. They scheduled the event for Nov. 20.

I wonder why they discouraged him from marrying her. She was virtually on her deathbed already. I don't know what harm would have come of it. Still, the fact that they let these two young people exchange rings -- I find that beautiful.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

And yet so many people say that teenagers are too young to know what love means.

What a beautiful story. Everyone should read this. Love isn't a feeling -- it's a choice. It's an action. It's what you do. This young man loved that young woman till death parted them. He probably knows more about what true love means than a lot of people twice his age.

Thank you for sharing this story. I am touched.

EDIT: Wow, I just read the original story in the Washington Post. I am utterly choked up.

The Scozzaris could tell that their 15-year-old son was madly in love with this terminally ill girl. And it worried them.

Matt began starting sentences with, "When Sabrina and I get married ..." Sabrina had taken to calling herself Sabrina Kay Scozzari, even sometimes signing her notes that way.

Finally, Audrey Scozzari sat her son down and explained that marriage, though not impossible, was impractical. Then she suggested an alternative.

"You know, they have something called a friendship ceremony," she told Matt. "That could be your way of letting her experience what a wedding would be like."

Matt loved the idea. But he wanted to get Sabrina's grandparents' consent before asking her.

Zelma Parker thought it was a sweet idea, but her husband had mixed feelings about a formal ceremony with a minister. It was bad enough for a boy to lose a girlfriend, he thought. Still, he went along. They scheduled the event for Nov. 20.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I wonder why they discouraged him from marrying her. She was virtually on her deathbed already. I don't know what harm would have come of it. Still, the fact that they let these two young people exchange rings -- I find that beautiful.

I expect many parents would do the same. (My father probably wouldn't have -- he's a romantic; but my mother would.)

I've never fully understood parents in this regard. And I hate the phrase "puppy love."

Looking back, the deepest relationship I've ever been in was with my high school girlfriend.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
You can find more pictures from this story here . They're poignant and heartwrenching at the same time.

Someone left a comment on this story that I wholeheartedly agree with.

I have thought about young love over the years and sometimes wonder if we are doing a huge wrong by wanting our children to wait years to fall in love. I had a friend, who at 16 stood by her boyfriend while he died of cancer. I sometimes dont think it is fair or realistic to expect young men and women to wait until their mid twenties to save themselves. This young man is proof that true love exists at 15 and 16. My mother who has been married for over 50 years was 16 when she was married.

These are the questions I wish to ask God when I meet him.

"ckwick" wrote:

As Kat2 said, in response to my wondering why they didn't want the young people to marry:

Perhaps because "My girlfriend died" sounds less serious than "My wife is dead now." They didn't want their son a widower at 16. I would consider them married though.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
The Washington Post website has taken this story down, but MSNBC News  still has it.
UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago
I hate that so many people try ti discourage weddings, telling the younguns to 'live your life now' as if getting married ends your life.

The adventure STARTS when you get married. It's called not being content.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
DakotaT
13 years ago
I don't know Formo, see I had two lives. I had a life of reckless abandon in my twenties caused by a girl who broke my heart, and a young marriage in my thirties - in which we struggled and had children and are well on our way to a typical American family life.

But the closest thing I thought I ever had to true love was my first girlfriend, you know the girl that makes your heart beat right out of your chest. The funny thing is that I saw this girl right before Christmas at Hannah's program (ironically, our kids are in the same grade). I looked at her from a distance and I didn't feel my heart pound at all. I then realized I married my true love and that stuff I thought I felt for that other girl so long ago was probably just active hormones. I guess my point is that when you are young, you think more with your emotions than with reason.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.