Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Web Page Name 

[img_r]http://media.jsonline.com/images/199*189/mjs-packers16-26-of-hoffman.jpg-packers16.jpg[/img_r]Nick Collins and Tramon Williams have lockers right next to one another, and it can be enlightening to drop in on their conversations as they open mail or scan the paycheck stubs handed out by Rob Davis.

On Tuesday, a day after their Green Bay Packers defense ascended to the No. 1 ranking in the NFL by holding opponents to an average of 281.5 yards of offense per game, it seemed a sure bet the pair of friends and young defensive backs would find the ranking especially gratifying.

But Collins half-rolled his eyes, dismissively.

"Teams still disrespecting us," he said.

Williams nodded in agreement.

"For real," continued Collins. "We're still the underdog. We're not the team that's talked about. It's the other team."

Really? Like who?

"Baltimore!" Collins and Williams said in unison.

"The thing you hear now is, 'Can we be as physical as Baltimore?'" asked Williams, mockingly.

"That's like a slap in our face," said Collins, shaking his head again. "Tsk. But, hey. We kind of like that position of underdog because it allows us to just go out and compete and do our job."

The fact is the new ranking brought out varied reactions from the people who produced it. Some Packers did find it validating. Others wondered if it was tentative. A few looked forward to using it for a slight edge as a possible intimidation factor.

But one thing cannot be debated. When the Packers introduced themselves in Week 1 at Lambeau Field by announcing the defensive starters, rather than Aaron Rodgers and Co., they began a deliberate team metamorphosis. With new coordinator Dom Capers and a new scheme, perhaps the Packers have a new identity.

"When you think of Green Bay, we want you to think dominant defense," said safety Atari Bigby. "That'll be something good to see."

Now for the debatable part: Is the ranking a true reflection of them as the best defense in the NFL?

"Um, no," said defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins. "We're on our way. Obviously it's not the end of the season and unless you hold that spot until the end of the season, then you're not the No. 1 defense for that year.

"Our goals are season-long. We're not just trying to make it to the No. 1 spot for Week 12 and then lose it. We want to keep that spot, so we still feel like we have a lot of improving to do."

Backup safety and special teams player Derrick Martin was a member of the Baltimore Ravens when they finished with the No. 1 defense in 2006 and No. 2 defense in 2008. He said the Packers were starting to play like a top-ranked defense.

"We're starting to fly around, and that's what Baltimore prided themselves on," said Martin. "Flying around to the ball, we're blitzing more, we're bringing more things, more packages, more things for the team to focus on - and then we do something different."

It's not just that the Packers have the top defense, said defensive end Johnny Jolly, it's that they're No. 4 in run defense as well, holding opponents to 980 rushing yards in the first 11 games, or 89.1 yards a game. That takes talent, a good scheme and tenacity.

"It starts with attitude," said Martin. "Stopping the run, that's an attitude. If you can stop the run, you have a good defense. You look at all the good defenses, they stop the run real well - and then you make turnovers. Once you stop the run, they've got to throw the ball, but if they throw they're probably going to turn it over."

Green Bay's 27 takeaways rank second behind only New Orleans (32).

But several Packers mentioned that they were most pleased with their run defense. They have given up only two 100-yard rushing games - to Cincinnati's Cedric Benson and St. Louis' Steven Jackson in Weeks 2 and 3. Even though they couldn't make Minnesota quarterback Brett Favre uncomfortable with any pressure and couldn't beat the Vikings, they held or contained the Vikings' run. At Minnesota, the Vikings had just 63 total rushing yards. In the rematch at Lambeau, Adrian Peterson had a respectable but not backbreaking 97 yards.

"This is what we worked on from Day 1, trying to be the best in the league," said Jolly. "Now we've got to maintain, keep proving week in and week out. It's good to be a No. 1 defense and good on the run."

The Ravens (6-5) may not be fazed, however. They beat last week's No. 1 defense, Pittsburgh, 20-17, in overtime. Both of those teams have had the most feared and respected defenses in the NFL over the last decade or so.

But Green Bay cornerback Charles Woodson is playing at a level above everyone else. He already has seven interceptions, one off his career high of eight in 2006. He has scored two touchdowns; one more would be a personal best in a season for him. He has two sacks and is likely to set a career high in that category (three is his personal best).

"If we're the No. 1 defense, then somebody's got to come out of here and be the No. 1 defensive player. It just seems right," said Bigby. "You're talking about a guy who is all over the field; we line him up at so many different positions and he's coming out on top. He's a good corner, nickel, dime, safety. . . . When I look around, I don't see anybody coming at it the way he is doing it."

If anything, the Packers seem to believe their defense is very, very good. In a big game on Monday night against the respected Ravens, they're looking for any edge. For now, that's the defense, a home advantage at Lambeau Field and perhaps the first bite of winter weather predicted for the coming days.

"It's about time. Normally the last four games are cold and this year it hasn't been bad at all," said nose tackle Ryan Pickett. "We need some, a little Lambeau advantage. I like (the cold) because I know what it's like to come play in places like this. You hated it. You look on your schedule and you were like, 'Aww, naw. Not Green Bay in December.' "

whoa ...
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
Aww, yes! Green Bay in December.
UserPostedImage
RajiRoar
14 years ago
this all started with Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy gettin the right guys for the job

Getting Capers was a great move but Kevin Green has to be my favorite hire.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Dulak
14 years ago
Damn that article has me pumped - glad to hear these guys are having a positive attitude and they deserve the #1 status since they put in all the hard work.
azrunning
14 years ago
They have a good attitude; it's not all going to their heads. Let's see them carry it through the end of the season and playoffs.
BAD EMAIL because the address couldn ot be found, or is unable to receive mail.
14 years ago
I'm impressed by the improvement in the run D. The total yards... eh... it's better than being 32nd, as someone on the team said, but it's not the definitive measurement of a defense. Our run defense is MUCH better than last year, however. It makes a huge difference in how opposing offenses try to work, and it's going to be key in these winter months.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
14 years ago
I also like what the players are saying.
They aren't letting success go to their heads.
This defense is rounding out nicely for a good run down the stretch, even the loss of Harris and Kampy hasn't shaken their belief in themselves.

I love good defense and Dom Capers and his crew are starting to impress me.
My biggest concern going into this stretch run is depth in the secondary. ( and Bush).
Hopefully the injury bug will leave the Packers alone for the rest of the season.
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Found this on KFFL, if this guy is right, IMHO Packers will stuff their "three headed monster" and come out with a win.

It's time for Ravens' three-headed monster

Mike Preston

December 4, 2009

If Pittsburgh has a secret weapon, so do the Ravens. This is not the time to be holding back. We've talked about this before, but now is the perfect time.

It's December, the time good teams hitch a ride on their running game straight into the postseason. It's going to be a cold, possibly snowy night in Green Bay on Monday, and the best way to keep the Packers and their sensational young quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, off the field is to pound away at the Packers.

It's time for Ravens second-year running back Ray Rice to be joined by his partners in the backfield from a year ago, Willis McGahee and Le'Ron McClain.

We might have gotten a glimpse of it Sunday night in the Ravens' 20-17 win over the Steelers. Rice had 19 carries for 88 yards, and McGahee had five for 18. McClain, the starting fullback, was just starting to pound away at the Pittsburgh defense in the third quarter but had to leave the game late in the period with an abdominal injury.

McClain, who finished with four carries for 28 yards, said he'll be ready Monday night against Green Bay.

"I'm good, getting treatment every day," McClain said. "I'm feeling a lot better than I did Sunday night. I was just starting to get into it, then messed around and got hurt. Some guy caught me in the ribs.

"I'm feeling a lot better than I did Sunday night. I'm ready for everything. I'm sore a little bit, but it's nothing I can't work through. It's December, it's playoffs. Almost anything goes."

It was the first extensive work by all three running backs since early in the season. A year ago, though, the ground game was the major staple of the offense. The Ravens kept grinding at opposing teams with McClain, McGahee and Rice all the way to the AFC championship game.

But that changed at the beginning of this season because the Ravens outsmarted themselves. Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, auditioning for a head coaching job, wanted to show off the arm of second-year quarterback Joe Flacco in 2009.

It worked for a while, but Air Flacco has been grounded the past couple of weeks. Opposing teams are throwing more schemes than ever at Flacco, confusing a young quarterback who is still getting on-the-job training.

Despite denials by the Ravens and Flacco, he is bruised and battered, nursing ankle and shoulder injuries. His mobility has decreased, and he no longer steps up in the pocket. The coaching staff has gone back to telling Flacco which receiver to throw to.

The Ravens also made a mistake by trying to have a dominant passing attack without a quality bunch of receivers.

On Monday night, though, there's a chance for the Ravens to make amends.

Green Bay has the NFL's No. 1 defense, but the Packers are soft up front.
(Mr. Pickett, Mr. Raji....he is calling you soft!!!)
If the Ravens can run the ball, they take it out of Flacco's hands as well as those of the elusive Rodgers, who'll throw for more than 400 yards if Green Bay wins time of possession.

In his worst nightmares, Ravens coach John Harbaugh doesn't want Green Bay's receivers matched up with his cornerbacks for long, especially Donald Driver against Domonique Foxworth.

Oh, no, no, no ...

The best bet for the Ravens is to unleash the three-headed monster. The Ravens haven't used them much this season, so at least McGahee and McClain are fresh. If the Ravens can get them going and gain some momentum, it could make the last four games interesting.

It also leaves Cameron an out. If the Ravens win out into the postseason, he can say he was trying to keep all three running backs fresh to make a serious playoff run at the end. You can sell anything to fans when you win.

"I knew that Sunday night, if I had continued to do my job, Cam would have said, 'Keep it going, keep taking it to them,' " McClain said. "I'm not beat up like last year. I've been cold-tubbing and hot-tubbing it, and it feels good right now. The big push for me is December. It's all on Cam. If he calls on me, I'm good for it."

Rice said: "It was a great feeling. I took more pride in finishing that game the way we did running the ball play after play after play. It really set a precedent for what is going on in the near future with our offense."

We hope so.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
IronMan
14 years ago

What? 4th against the run and we are "soft up front?" Child please!
bozz_2006
14 years ago

"IronMan" wrote:

What? 4th against the run and we are "soft up front?" Child please!

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (19h) : rude
Mucky Tundra (19h) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (19h) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
14m / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

58m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

1h / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.