longtimefan
16 years ago

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Sometimes, Brady Poppinga cant stomach watching his game film from last season.

I look at my film from last year, and Im almost embarrassed, the fourth-year strong-side linebacker said. I cant believe I was playing like that.

Poppinga has little or nothing to be embarrassed about now.

After a so-so 2007 season that prompted the Green Bay Packers to give free-agent linebacker Brandon Chillar a two-year, $5.3 million contract and let him compete 4 the strong-side starting job, Poppinga has elevated his level of play to the point where even with two more preseason games to play, theres little chance he will lose his starting spot.

Bradys had his best camp and his best preseason to date, linebackers coach Winston Moss said after Tuesdays practice. Hes played really well (and) done some very good things. Hes as physical as ever, so its been all positive with Brady.

If Poppinga holds off Chillar, he will begin his third full season as a starter. He first cracked the lineup late in his rookie season of 2005, but it was short-lived because he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on Dec. 11 in his first start. An intense rehab got him back in the lineup by opening day of 2006, but he played mostly on instinct and proved to be raw in part because the position was new to him after playing mostly defensive end in college at BYU.

He was a starter again last season but struggled at times, especially in coverage. When the play was in front of Poppinga, he was fine. When he had to chase it down, he couldnt always do it.

Poppingas up-and-down showing in 2007 prompted the Packers to sign Chillar, the former St. Louis Rams starter who graded out better in coverage than Poppinga.

Nevertheless, Poppinga continued to work with the No. 1 defense throughout the offseason and showed steady improvement and shortly before training camp, the Packers gave him a 4-year contract extension that included a $3 million signing bonus.

The ever-intense Poppinga still speaks excitedly about embracing the competition with Chillar, saying that Chillar brings a wealth of knowledge and passion 4 the game, and being around those kinds of guys always rubs off in a positive manner, but the competition appears to be over.

Ive always said that Brady was going to take it not necessarily as a challenge between Brandon and himself, but as a challenge to be the best he can be, Moss said. Hes taken that approach, and hes maxing out. Hes doing things nobody can ever be perfect every single day where youre close to saying thats as good as Brady can play.

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said hes not surprised at how Poppinga responded to the addition of Chillar.

Bradys a competitor, Sanders said. That says a lot about his character.

The Packers havent tried to rein in Poppingas frenetic style of play. In fact, Moss believes thats why Poppinga is so effective against the run.

I dont think theres a SAM linebacker in the business thats as physical at the point of attack as he is, Moss said. Bar none, in the National Football League, if hes not the best, hes as good as anybody.

To be sure, Poppinga still breaks down in coverage, but perhaps surprisingly those kinds of miscues werent what embarrassed Poppinga about his play last season.

People dont understand that in coverage theres a lot more going on, Poppinga said. What bothers me is more the recognition and being fast and diagnosing whats going on. When I can look at myself and see someone thats very fast and lined up with whats happening, thats very encouraging. Whereas a year ago, it was touch and go. At times it was good; at times it was bad.

Meanwhile, Chillar has at least temporarily moved to weak-side linebacker in the absence of starter A.J. Hawk, who is out indefinitely due to a chest injury. Chillar played all three linebacker spots during his 4 seasons with the Rams but didnt work at the weak side (WILL) with the Packers until last week. He admitted on Tuesday that he wasnt sure how his move would impact his ability to remain in competition with Poppinga.

I think it shows the coaching staff versatility, Chillar said. Thats why they brought me here. To be able to switch up in a couple of days should be a good thing. I think in these last couple of games, I showed them that I can play. Its kind of up to them now.

yooperfan
16 years ago
No question he will be the starter.
Chillar is taking Hawks spot who is hurt and is not day to day but "week to week".
bozz_2006
16 years ago
yoop, you're Debbie Downer today.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
16 years ago

yoop, you're Debbie Downer today.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Sorry, my wife made me drink too much tonight.
I'm sure I'll be all sunshine and roses in a couple of days.
earthquake
16 years ago
I'm just glad we have 4 good LBs.
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Moss liked Poppinga a year ago and now Greene likes him. Why are we not seeing this production from the hype on the field?
UserPostedImage
Scottish_Packer
15 years ago
Poppinga's a big question mark, as hard as he plays I've never been totally convinced by him. He did well against the Bills so we'll see how he performs against the Cards, jury's out still IMO.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago
I wasted a couple minutes reading before I realized the article was from last year. Poppinga looks improved in this new defense, but the team will be better off if Thompson or Matthews beats him out. The coaches love Poppinga because he's a fiery guy and a hard worker. Nothing wrong with that, but I think his talent is marginal by NFL standards.
blank
ILikeThePackers39
15 years ago
I love his heart. I do. But if Matthews or Thompson bring more to that position then I hope they beat him out. Heart is a great thing to have, but it doesn't guarantee results on the field, and his track record doesn't indicate those results will be forthcoming this season.

But I do very much like that he's played himself into a spot where they DO have to beat him out. That's a win-win, in my book.
blank
tromadz
15 years ago
We have too many good linebackers! What a crappy problem!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : rude
Mucky Tundra (2h) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (2h) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.