Zero2Cool
a year ago

Garbage time of the Monday night game between the Rams and the Packers included a conversation between the members of the broadcast booth that was anything but.

On Tuesday, Packers coach Matt LaFluer vaguely confirmed the accuracy of comments made on the air by Joe Buck and Troy Aikman of ESPN.

They said LaFleur had told them things began to change when the offense started watching practice film together, and not in individual groups. A reporter asked LaFleur about it.

“Yeah that’s something that just thinking back in previous years, we had done that, most of the time together and then after that first year, again we had a more veteran group of wideouts and we allowed it to, just from an efficiency standpoint and a detail standpoint, allowed the position groups to meet independently of one another in some instances,” LaFleur said, via Kalyh Kahler of TheAthletic.com. “Now, I would say, I can’t remember what week it was, but we decided to start watching . . . every practice together as a whole unit.”

Asked why it took so long, LaFleur said, “That’s just the way it transpired.”

And that directly contributed to the sluggish manner in which the season transpired.

Buck said, via Kahler, that the practice of watching film as an offensive unit helped make an overdue connection between quarterback Aaron Rodgers and rookie receivers Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs.

“LaFleur said it changed when we all started watching tape of both our Wednesday and Thursday practices together as a group, so we could talk and Aaron can hear what Christian Watson is thinking and Romeo Doubs, and not only that but get to know them as people which maybe humanized him and took a little bit of the pressure off,” Buck said.

“When LaFleur said that, I was shocked that they hadn’t been meeting all along,” Aikman replied. “I’ve been on both sides of it, I have had [offensive coordinators] who had it where you always met with your individual position coach and not as a group and I have had others where the whole offense, excluding linemen, met and that worked best. I think that’s the way to go and my guess is LaFleur will do it that way the rest of his time as a head coach. . . . The more time you can have with the skill players, the more you can be in the room watching the practices together and even the opponent film, the better off you are going to be, especially when you are talking about young receivers like Watson and Romeo Doubs.”

It’s obviously right. And it’s amazing that Rodgers wasn’t insisting on it — or (if true) that he was resisting it.

But no one should be surprised. It was Rodgers who stayed away from all of the offseason program, but for a cameo appearance in connection with the mandatory minicamp. And it was Rodgers who didn’t gather his new corps of receivers for informal workouts, like so many other quarterbacks do on an annual basis.

For as smart as Rodgers is (or at least pretends to be), it’s amazing he didn’t realize that young players who literally grew up watching his exploits (Watson was only 11 when Rodgers won his only Super Bowl, and Doubs was only 10) needed to get to know him before getting comfortable around him. Instead, and by all appearances, Rodgers opted to be absent and aloof and perhaps even standoffish in the early days of their NFL experience.

Then training camp started, Rodgers showed up with his Arthur Shelby haircut, and Watson and Doubs had to try to perform while also being naturally in awe of their new quarterback — and also probably a little (or more than a little) intimidated and even afraid of him. Especially after he started calling them out generally for making mistakes or not going above and beyond the call of duty and working when not at work.

It’s a jarring failure of Rodgers either to understand the importance of making a real human connection with his new teammates or to take steps to improve a situation that he actually knew would make it harder for Watson and Doubs to get as comfortable, and in turn as effective, as they can be.

The good news is that it’s finally working. So, better late than never. Unless it was so late that they’ll never make it to the playoffs this season.

Continue Reading @ Mike Florio 

Mike Florio wrote:

Listening them talk about this during the game had me a little flummoxed. YOU GOTS TO WORK TOGETHER!!

Oh, for those who cannot comprehend reading beyond 280 characters. Packers had stopped reviewing practice as a whole in part because of the veteran impact on the team. For whatever reason, bringing in three WR's from college, one off the streets, somehow, (oh shit I just went over 280 and lost your ass again didn't I?) figured reviewing film in individual groups was down with the clown.

They've since started doing so in large group and voila, team improves. Imagine that.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
a year ago
What really irritated me about that article was Florio's characterization of Rodgers intellect. What a cheap shot, that Florio's moronic fans just get off on, that he exploits daily with all high profile players, which his fan base doesn't even know that they are being influenced and manipulated. As to the substance, I think this season has been highly educational to one Matt Lafleur, and if he fires Joe Barry, I will have an increasing respect for his decision making skills going forward. We have had hints he's going to shit-can Barry. Lafleur seems pretty damn smart to me. The size of his balls are very much in question, but even that perception is mitigated by the very obvious success he has had as a relatively snot-nosed HC coming into a situation where Aaron does has what is historically an out-sized influence on a football team. Taking everything into account...communication, slow to act, yada yada yada... If he fires Joe Barry I'm going to retain trust in the lad. (Lad, to me)
nerdmann
a year ago

Listening them talk about this during the game had me a little flummoxed. YOU GOTS TO WORK TOGETHER!!

Oh, for those who cannot comprehend reading beyond 280 characters. Packers had stopped reviewing practice as a whole in part because of the veteran impact on the team. For whatever reason, bringing in three WR's from college, one off the streets, somehow, (oh shit I just went over 280 and lost your ass again didn't I?) figured reviewing film in individual groups was down with the clown.

They've since started doing so in large group and voila, team improves. Imagine that.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

But that's just practice footage right? Not game film? 

Either way, Matt needs to take the leadership role. He's not Jimmy the paperboy, and he's not just a buddy hanging out with the guys. He the leader of the team.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
a year ago

What really irritated me about that article was Florio's characterization of Rodgers intellect. What a cheap shot, that Florio's moronic fans just get off on, that he exploits daily with all high profile players, which his fan base doesn't even know that they are being influenced and manipulated. As to the substance, I think this season has been highly educational to one Matt Lafleur, and if he fires Joe Barry, I will have an increasing respect for his decision making skills going forward. We have had hints he's going to shit-can Barry. Lafleur seems pretty damn smart to me. The size of his balls are very much in question, but even that perception is mitigated by the very obvious success he has had as a relatively snot-nosed HC coming into a situation where Aaron does has what is historically an out-sized influence on a football team. Taking everything into account...communication, slow to act, yada yada yada... If he fires Joe Barry I'm going to retain trust in the lad. (Lad, to me)

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Or at least go back to telling Barry what to do, like last year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
a year ago
My son, who coached, used to tell me that group film study was the best way to get people on the same page because they were all hearing the same thing at the same time.   Even though it may be more time consuming, it is instructive to how the positions interrelate and are co-dependent. 

For example, when the offensive linemen hear about the importance of cutting their opponent on a quick pattern to a wide out, the wide out, in turn, realizes that there is a timing aspect to the play and can't dance and dawdle on his release.

It also provides the necessary platform for correction.   When one player sees/hears another player being corrected, there is accountability.  Without accountability, there is no discipline.   As John Wooden said, the purpose of discipline is not to punish, but to correct.  Without discipline, no team can succeed.

And finally, to quote the great one, St. Vincent "There is only one kind of discipline, and that is the perfect discipline. As a leader, you must enforce and maintain that discipline; otherwise, you will fail at your job."

Go Packers!!!!
bboystyle
a year ago
It seems like MLF isn't so good at leading this team as a coach. Think he make a better OC. 
nerdmann
a year ago
We'll see if he grow into the role of a coach. He was the same age as many players when he got here. That's what I'm hoping for.
Zero2Cool
a year ago

It seems like MLF isn't so good at leading this team as a coach. Think he make a better OC. 

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

Doesn't that feel kind of dumb to say though? He took over a team that won 13 games combined the previous two seasons, then proceeded to get 13 wins three times in a row. Yet, it almost feels like the dude is in over his head. When I say I believe LaFleur has gone from being a coach to more of a friend, I feel kind of foolish because of all the wins the guy has already, but shit, it sure feels like he values being their friend more than their coach. 

Don't get me wrong. Getting along with people is great, it's wonderful. But when it (just my observation here) seems like you're making decisions in hopes of not upsetting your buddies, even though they go against what you feel is best, I just feel that is kind of the wrong direction. What's the saying? It's not show-friends, it's show business.
UserPostedImage
bboystyle
a year ago

Doesn't that feel kind of dumb to say though? He took over a team that won 13 games combined the previous two seasons, then proceeded to get 13 wins three times in a row. Yet, it almost feels like the dude is in over his head. When I say I believe LaFleur has gone from being a coach to more of a friend, I feel kind of foolish because of all the wins the guy has already, but shit, it sure feels like he values being their friend more than their coach. 

Don't get me wrong. Getting along with people is great, it's wonderful. But when it (just my observation here) seems like you're making decisions in hopes of not upsetting your buddies, even though they go against what you feel is best, I just feel that is kind of the wrong direction. What's the saying? It's not show-friends, it's show business.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I agree with your post which is why he really isn't much of a head coach or at least too friendly of one. Need a coach that will put his players in check. I don't know what the atmosphere is like in the locker room but if I had to guess, it would be a pretty chill vibe with little to no discipline 
nerdmann
a year ago
I remember Mike Sherman. Always felt like he was too loyal to Rosseley. Its cool having friend and loyalty is a thing to respect. But it seemed like it was turning the franchise into a country club for his friends who stunk up the joint.

We saw what happened with Mo Drayton last year. Now let's see what happens with Barry. Remember, the defense was clutch last year. If you keep Barry, you have to go back to telling him what to do.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (23h) : rude
Mucky Tundra (23h) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / civic

2h / Around The NFL / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4h / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.