Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
I get hunting a deer for food and hopefully to use the fur for tanning and using as much of the carcass as possible.

I get thinning deer. Man has destroyed nature's balance by exterminating their natural predators and it helps the gene pool to thin them; plus it makes car traveling measurably safer.

But, I don't understand the sport, the joy, the thrill one gets from killing one of God's majestic creatures. Seems to me to be a 100% cowardly act once we get beyond the necessity of it. I dont get the high-fives and bragging for the exterminating a 40 Point buck. What a majestic creature to witness in nature.

Well I don't get Trump removing the ban on importing Elephant into US either. I guess it has to do with a difference for respect for life and nature.
Cheesey
6 years ago
Geez...even on this thread....
Hey barfarn, do you eat meat? ANY meat? Beef, pork, chicken, turkey, any meat?
If so, you are a hypocrite . In order for you (or anyone) to eat meat, an animal has to die. And I find it more cowardly for someone to think they are high and mighty because they don't do the killing themselves.
Just because you get your protein prepackaged doesn't make your hands clean of the "murder" of that beef roast you eat.
There are many years I hunt and don't get anything. It's the whole package, not just the killing. It's not just walking into the woods and shooting something.
But you never did it, so you will never "get it".
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
6 years ago

Geez...even on this thread....
Hey barfarn, do you eat meat? ANY meat? Beef, pork, chicken, turkey, any meat?
If so, you are a hypocrite . In order for you (or anyone) to eat meat, an animal has to die. And I find it more cowardly for someone to think they are high and mighty because they don't do the killing themselves.
Just because you get your protein prepackaged doesn't make your hands clean of the "murder" of that beef roast you eat.
There are many years I hunt and don't get anything. It's the whole package, not just the killing. It's not just walking into the woods and shooting something.
But you never did it, so you will never "get it".

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I said, "I get hunting a deer for food." It's the first thing I said. 😂 Oh, and I'd get this even if I ddn't eat meat because I know many many do.

What I dont get is, as you say, the "just the killing" part of "the whole package."

How does someone get a thrill from killing anything? It is 100% lost on me, 100%! So, please explain.
Cheesey
6 years ago
Ok, one thing, is knowing that the meat you have taken is free of growth hormones or other things they put into our food. And it is a huge challenge to pit yourself against an animal that has such strong senses to detect us. Believe me, it's not easy.
I get it, it's not for everyone. I was raised in a gun owning hunting family. And I respect the majestic animals I hunt. I don't take it lightly , or disrespectfully.
I won't take a shot that I don't feel will be a fast clean kill.
I started hunting in 1973, and didn't take my first deer until 1985.
I take the killing part seriously.
Another thing to keep in mind is that according to PBS hunting tv special I watched last week, hunters spend an average of $2200 a year on hunting in the state. We pay for most of the natural resources in Wisconsin.
Think about it, just a deer license costs $24 for residents. There are over 600,000 gun hunters in the state. Just that alone is millions of dollars for the state to buy up lands for animals to live on. Plus the hotels and restaurants and other businesses that depend on the income from hunters.
I don't take "joy" over the killing. That is only a small part of what makes up the hunt.
No matter what I say, you won't understand.

Me, I don't understand people who kill the unborn children that they decide they don't want. I'd say those were even more "majestic" creatures, killed for no more reason then they are not wanted.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
6 years ago

Ok, one thing, is knowing that the meat you have taken is free of growth hormones or other things they put into our food. And it is a huge challenge to pit yourself against an animal that has such strong senses to detect us. Believe me, it's not easy.
I get it, it's not for everyone. I was raised in a gun owning hunting family. And I respect the majestic animals I hunt. I don't take it lightly , or disrespectfully.
I won't take a shot that I don't feel will be a fast clean kill.

I started hunting in 1973, and didn't take my first deer until 1985.
I take the killing part seriously.
Another thing to keep in mind is that according to PBS hunting tv special I watched last week, hunters spend an average of $2200 a year on hunting in the state. We pay for most of the natural resources in Wisconsin.
Think about it, just a deer license costs $24 for residents. There are over 600,000 gun hunters in the state. Just that alone is millions of dollars for the state to buy up lands for animals to live on. Plus the hotels and restaurants and other businesses that depend on the income from hunters.
I don't take "joy" over the killing. That is only a small part of what makes up the hunt.
No matter what I say, you won't understand.

Me, I don't understand people who kill the unborn children that they decide they don't want. I'd say those were even more "majestic" creatures, killed for no more reason then they are not wanted.

I don't think I'd ever walk into the woods to kill another animal unless I had to; but that doesn't mean I cant understand. Nor could I work in a cattle or chicken slaughter house, though I've sentenced many of them to death by my personal consumption habits.

I do have to say, not that my opinion is worth anything, I admired what you said, especially the underlined things you said above. And I bet by the way you said them you know or have heard that there are some that do get joy. Oh, and I bet they're all cops [Now I'm just having some fun here 😂].

And not to turn this into an abortion thread. Hunting is something done on purpose. Unwanted pregnancy is an accidental with varying degrees of negligence. I believe adults should have control over their reproduction and the potential kids don't get a say in it until they become human beings.

Birth control effectively condemns that "majestic creature" to death each time an egg is passed.

Where does human life begin? This is a moral, religious question.

Many conveniently, so they can justify not giving life to every potential child, arbitrarily assert an egg and sperm a split second before fusing is not human; but a split second after it is. They make this nonsensical 23 to 46 chromosome argument. But, one can take 46 random human chromosomes, inject them into, let's say a deer, we can hunt and kill that deer and no one would consider a human life taken. To abort a fertilized egg a day after conception is on putting to death not human life; but something with potential for human life; contraception dos the exact some thing. This logic was recognized by the Catholic church for eons, it is why Catholics were prohibited from using birth control.
Smokey
6 years ago
Spinning a simple honest thread to suit ones pious radical convictions is uncalled for. Many hunt to support wildlife population control and to also help feed such highly regarded institutions as Orphanages and Battered Women's Shelters . In addition some still fill their freezers to help get their families through the winter .

Wildlife management is an important and necessary function in most States .

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
6 years ago
Thanks barfarn for the positive comments.
As far as accidental pregnancies, 99% of them could be avoided if the people wouldn't be too "lazy" to use birth control.
If you screw around Ike pigs, that's not an accident.
I believe conception is the point of "it" being a child. The Bible talks several times that God knew us while still in the womb. So our creator is the authority to be listened too, not man that wants to "flush" away what he doesn't want to pay for. (That's my belief)

Now, my hunting was uneventful. I never saw anything.
And it was very physically demanding on me. I have a feeling this was my last hunt.
Usually I can sit out in the woods all day with no trouble. Now the pain was too much. I'm bummed out.
Such is life I guess.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
6 years ago

Thanks barfarn for the positive comments.
As far as accidental pregnancies, 99% of them could be avoided if the people wouldn't be too "lazy" to use birth control.
If you screw around Ike pigs, that's not an accident.
I believe conception is the point of "it" being a child. The Bible talks several times that God knew us while still in the womb. So our creator is the authority to be listened too, not man that wants to "flush" away what he doesn't want to pay for. (That's my belief)

Now, my hunting was uneventful. I never saw anything.
And it was very physically demanding on me. I have a feeling this was my last hunt.
Usually I can sit out in the woods all day with no trouble. Now the pain was too much. I'm bummed out.
Such is life I guess.

Actually, I was hoping you'd get one 😂.

And actually that was the twofold argument I was making:

1. if you have to use the Bible to justify your position, then its a religious one, and the G cant pass a law that helps or hurts a religious principle.

And 2 Jeremiah 1:5 (NIV) states, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you..." BEFORE being formed in the womb God knew! so this is BEFORE conception. If you're going to use this verse to justify defining the rights of the child; then the unfertilized egg must be protected and everything must be done to fertilize it so that potential child that God knows will not end up not being born. And, BTW, Pence believes this!

Pence supported signed a zany abortion bill in Indiana [its been struck since] that was so bizarre it required the state to collect data on the "pre-viability" of the fetus. Legal experts opined that pre-viability could only mean prior to conception/ Many believe Pence slid this language in to take control over a women's right to chose to get pregnant. A grass roots organization called "Periods for Pence" ballooned, women all over the world were calling Pence's office to advise that they were or were not ovulating 😂 😂. He changed his number several times 😂. And he was not winning re-election in Indiana.
Cheesey
6 years ago
Yes, I "use" the Bible to help me decide right from wrong. What do you use? Mankind???
Man says " if it feels good, do it".
As far as what the Bible says, sex is supposed to be between married people, not just for carnal pleasures. The majority of people that get abortions are singles that care only about what THEY want. To get their "jollies".
That's not how God wants it on the first place if you want to quote the Bible.
UserPostedImage