buckeyepackfan
8 years ago

I read a recent article discussing who was the better, coaches Mike Holmgren or Mike McCarthy. Here's what I think: I will call it a tie; both have streets in Green Bay named after them; both have/had HOF quarterbacks play for them; both are known for being able to develop QBs; McCarthy has more wins (second most in GB

LombardiAve  wrote:

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I still like Holmgren better as an OC, but I like McCarthy's loyalty more. To Holmgren, we were just another team. He chose to be here, because our team sucked for a long time, so he viewed us as a challenge and he knew that all the success would be attributed to him, there would be no doubt it was his efforts and system that brought it about.

Soon as he sniffed an offer elsewhere, he was out the door.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago
I would take Holmgren 100 times out of 100. Mike McCarthy strikes me as not very smart. Holmgren was a brilliant man.

As for the subject of this thread: Complacency is the enemy of success. There is always something to look at to improve.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

voiceofreason
8 years ago

I would take Holmgren 100 times out of 100. Mike McCarthy strikes me as not very smart. Holmgren was a brilliant man.

As for the subject of this thread: Complacency is the enemy of success. There is always something to look at to improve.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

How are we complacent? We are legitimate Superbowl contenders this year, while being a few unfortunate plays away from the Superbowl last year. Its called consistency and its what we do.

blank
dhazer
8 years ago
I think Nerdman gave the perfect reason to take Homgren over McCarthy. Holmgren came to a team that was used to losing and he changed the feeling of the team. He would make adjustments to help put his team into a position to win. Mike McCarthy on the other hand isn't very good at making adjustments and he is to bullheaded to change. He also took over a team that was used to winning and he also had 2 hall of fame quarterbacks covering up his flaws. Holmgren had the very raw Brett Favre and made him the great qb. He also had the respect of his players and I don't see that from MM. We have seen how he throws players under the bus and the arguments on the sidelines.

So after all that I say the best head coach we had was Lindy Infante 😝 but seriously I don't think it's even close. And Buckeye I am sorry but loyalty only goes so far and have we even heard of any other team wanting MM?
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

I think Nerdman gave the perfect reason to take Homgren over McCarthy. Holmgren came to a team that was used to losing and he changed the feeling of the team. He would make adjustments to help put his team into a position to win. Mike McCarthy on the other hand isn't very good at making adjustments and he is to bullheaded to change. He also took over a team that was used to winning and he also had 2 hall of fame quarterbacks covering up his flaws. Holmgren had the very raw Brett Favre and made him the great qb. He also had the respect of his players and I don't see that from MM. We have seen how he throws players under the bus and the arguments on the sidelines.

So after all that I say the best head coach we had was Lindy Infante 😝 but seriously I don't think it's even close. And Buckeye I am sorry but loyalty only goes so far and have we even heard of any other team wanting MM?

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Mike McCarthy has shown quite transparently to be fluid. The only stubbornness he's shown is not letting Aaron Rodgers rack up points and instead failing to bail on the running game at what most feel would be a good time. Against Seattle, the Packers with Aaron were moving the chains and once they went to a heavy dose of Eddie Lacy, everything stopped. You have to put the ball in your best players hands and even if that means HB Toss option to throw to a TE crossing or scramble. As I quoted McCarthy, he had a statistic he wanted to hit of a certain amount of carries. That was a mistake.

McCarthy has handed the play calling duties to someone else and the Packers will reap the benefits. McCarthy needs to COACH or call plays, not both.

It is hard to say we fans have nothing to complain about after being a handful of minutes away from a Super Bowl berth against a team they beat just a month or two prior. However, I get the point and the point is valid. You can find nearly two dozen team fan bases that have zero sympathy over our misfortune from the past season.

Some of us make the mistake that if we are not unruly to the Packers it means we are complacent. No. We can respect and appreciate the immensely fortunate position we are in while also wanting some more rings to validate said fortune.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
hahahaha. A lot of love for Holmgren.

Holmgren never seemed like a Packer kind of guy; He never seemed like a football kind of guy. He did seem like a San Francisco or Seattle/west coast kind of guy. All of that is irrelevant to winning football games, but then both of them have been big winners, and the question seemed to be "who do you prefer?" I'll take McCarthy. The crap about him not being intelligent or not having respect of his players is just that - crap.

I will also say, coaching doesn't have a lot to do with it IMO. A coach can mess things up if he is too much ego-driven and tries to inflict his way on what is working, etc., but PERSONNEL is what it's all about. Holmgren had Favre; McCarthy has Rodgers; If either were to coach losing teams, the expression "f-ing up a wet dream" comes to mind.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

How are we complacent? We are legitimate Superbowl contenders this year, while being a few unfortunate plays away from the Superbowl last year. Its called consistency and its what we do.

Originally Posted by: voiceofreason 

The title of the thread is: Fans have NOTHING to complain about ... That implies everything is perfect. It isn't. Never will be. There will ALWAYS be something to complain about. DL sucks...TE is weak... our HC could definitely better.

Our consistency is...we consistently fall short.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago

The title of the thread is: Fans have NOTHING to complain about ... That implies everything is perfect. It isn't. Never will be. There will ALWAYS be something to complain about. DL sucks...TE is weak... our HC could definitely better.

Our consistency is...we consistently fall short.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

So YOU DO actually read the topic titles after all!! 😂 🤣 😂

You are correct, every fan has something to complain. It's impossible to be perfect and that context shouldn't be ignored with this topic either. I believe the phrasing is more relative than literal.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

both should have won another Super Bowl.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (11h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.