Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
This is the type of story and people that I enjoy rooting for.. cheering on and hope they make it to the top.

BTW... I am not affliated with this site, but I read their stuff often... well worth the time for an alternate opinion..

Story and link to site.. 

Porter finds his way onto Packers roster after trying times
Posted Dec 19 2008, 08:26 AM by Brian Carriveau

There was a time period in cornerback Joe Porter's life that was pretty tough.

After signing with the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted free agent last season, he was cut during training camp when teams had to trim their rosters down to 75 players. It wasn't until that following November that Porter was signed to the Green Bay Packers' practice squad. [img_r]http://testsportsperformance.com/news_images/joe-porter2.jpg[/img_r]

Between August and November of 2007, Porter was jobless. He had a couple of tryouts with NFL teams, one with the Packers and the other with the Washington Redskins. He even had a couple of tryouts with Arena League teams.

But while he was bouncing around the country from tryout to tryout, he didn't exactly have a lot of money. He asked his parents for a little bit of income and even had a hard time paying for food while he was on the road during those tryouts.

"It definitely tests your character and your work ethic to see if you're going to stay with it and keep going at it," said Porter, "but it was really difficult to say the least."

And as tough as that time period was in his life, there was one that was even tougher.

After finishing the 2007 season on the Packers' practice squad, Porter was signed to a new contract to compete for a roster spot during the upcoming 2008 training camp. It was during training camp that Porter had to deal with the death of his father all while trying to keep the dream alive of becoming an NFL player.

Just two days after the Packers' first preseason game of the season on Monday Night Football against the Cincinnati Bengals and just two days before the team would have to leave on a cross country trip to take on the San Francisco 49ers, Porter was sleeping in his St. Norbert College dormitory bed just like the rest of the players.

"They sent one of the security guards to my room to wake me up and told me to call my family," said Porter. "I was preparing for the worst."

Having battled through stage four lung cancer, his father passed away later that day, but not before Porter got a chance to say goodbye to him.

"It was tough having to get up and go to practice the next morning and try to block it out and try to deal with it," said Porter. "And it happened so soon. But my family was there for me, and my team was definitely there for me."

Times were tough, but Porter overcame adversity and was again signed to Green Bay's practice squad after having been released during training camp.

Porter could have sulked. He could have stagnated having been on just the practice squad for a second consecutive season.

After all, the Packers decided to keep linebacker Nick Barnett on the active roster for three weeks after his season ending knee injury instead of making a roster move. Porter could have felt unappreciated knowing that he was sitting on the practice squad when there was a spot available on the 53-man roster and the Packers decided not to fill it.

"Nick is a linebacker," said Porter," and I thought they would probably activate the guy on the practice squad at his position or maybe find somebody else. I understand from their perspective, it is a business, and they have to do what's right for the franchise. So I didn't take it personally at all.

Then came Monday December 1 when Porter was finally elevated to the Packers' 53-man roster, and he was able to move out of the team's auxillary locker room and into the main locker room.

"It was euphoria," said Porter. "Everything I had worked for up to that point, it had finally happened. I was actually a little breathless. When it finally happened, I was just so excited and happy. My mother was crying. I was very excited."

Porter has been on the 53-man roster for the past two games but has yet to be active on game day. Maybe his time is coming.

He has the speed. Porter was the Big East conference champion in the 200-meter sprint in 2006 and the Rutgers school record holder, but he knows he's not just track star.

"A lot of guys see me, they look at my experience and my size and say, 'He's just a speed guy,'" said Porter. "But then I go run down there and knock somebody's head off."

With the Packers out of the playoff chase, Porter just might get his chance to be active in the last couple weeks of the season. And there's a shot that he'll overcome adversity once again.

This article was written after a Railbird Central exclusive interview with Joe Porter.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Bigbyfan
15 years ago
I hope he gets to play... Pick 6 against the Bears on national television maybe? 🙂
blank
djcubez
15 years ago
Maybe he can help our crippled special teams.
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
If he's so fast, why can't he return kicks next to Will Blackmon?
UserPostedImage
dannychau22
15 years ago

If he's so fast, why can't he return kicks next to Will Blackmon?

"go.pack.go." wrote:

well first of all kick returning isnt just about speed..
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (16h) : rude
Mucky Tundra (16h) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (16h) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.