Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Original article and don't forget to click the author to hit their main page for the rest of their material.

GREEN BAY – Last season, on the very first episode of his weekly radio show, this is what Green Bay Packers Aaron Rodgers said about his tight end, Jermichael Finley, when it came to interviews:

“J-Mike is a walking one-liner. He's a reporter's best friend and a head coach's worst nightmare sometimes when he's answering questions. We like to laugh about some of his answers. But when you break it down, he's a very confident young man. We love his swagger and the confidence he brings to the locker room, but he can definitely ruffle some feathers when he's making bold predictions."

Finley spoke for roughly nine minutes at his locker following Wednesday’s organized team activity practice, and he didn’t hold back his thoughts on a variety of topics:

> On his 11 drops last season, ranking in the top five in the NFL: “Catching comes second-nature to me. All I’ve got to do is focus a little bit more. I know I can catch the ball. I know I’m going to catch the ball this year — for sure I’m going to catch it. It’s focus."

> On if the uncertainty of his contract situation played a role: “Not at all. It was just my play. I’m not blaming it on my offseason, but me and the QB didn’t have chemistry. The routes were off sometimes, and that’ll mess with your head when the ball comes. The contract didn’t bother me at all. Not one bit. Not one bit.”

> On the Packers’ offense: “The scheme they’ve got set for us, it’s pretty deadly. Only we can stop ourselves. The offense was rolling last year. We were 15-1. (GM) Ted (Thompson) is a genius at what he does, so I’m on his team.”

> On the next step in his game: “The next step is take my game to the next level. Detail everything, and just play my ball. I feel like I’ve been playing like a robot lately. I just need to get out there and freestyle it.”

> On what he means by “freestyle”: “Play fast, not count my steps, not worrying about how the defense is playing me or what the defense is doing and just do me. If I do me, it can take my game to the next level. That’s where I struggle. I get out there and think too much. If I let my game speak for itself, I can take this league over at the position. If you go out there with too much on your head, it can mess up your game.”

> On why he felt he was “a robot” last year: “I would say no offseason program. I couldn’t get the chemistry with the QB. And not (that I was) thinking about the injury, but every time somebody got around my legs, I was like, ‘Watch out.’ I was thinking about that next injury. I can say it was because of the injury (in 2010), for sure.”

> On other prominent tight ends in the league: “I know Gronk (Rob Gronkowski) and Jimmy Graham, they did well last year. But in this league, you’ve got to do it consistently. If you’ve shown that you can do it one time, you have to come back and do it. They’re going to have to show me something. I’m not trying to beat them or see what I can do better than them, but they’re going to have to show me a little more.”

> On betting on himself by signing only a two-year deal, making him a free agent again after 2013: “I’m going to play my game, regardless. If I play my game, everything will work out for itself. I’ll be 26 when I come up for the next deal. It’s going to be an awesome ride, I’ll tell you that. I don’t think I’ve done too much yet. It’s a two-year deal. It’s a good deal on both ends. I’m excited to be playing with a quarterback like Aaron.”

> On the importance of getting in sync with Rodgers: “If you go over the years I’ve done well, we had an offseason program, we had minicamps, we had training camps. So, we had three processes that we were going through for us to get the chemistry. This year, I feel it and it’s going to be a good one. I guarantee it.”

Jason Wilde  wrote:

Here's what Josh Alper said about the article above.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
12 years ago
Whatever he has to do fix his issues, I am all for. But the idea of him out there "freestyling" worries me. Did my second sentence contradict the first?
BAD EMAIL because the address couldn ot be found, or is unable to receive mail.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
Well, it's just me, but if a receiver and Aaron Rodgers aren't on the same page, it ought to be the receiver who adjusts.

And "freestyling" doesn't sound like adjusting to me. It sounds like a recipe for extra interceptions.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
12 years ago

Well, it's just me, but if a receiver and Aaron Rodgers aren't on the same page, it ought to be the receiver who adjusts.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I would think in terms of reads, breaks, timing. And it is a shared responsibility between both the QB and the receiver. They have to see and read things the same.. so the timing of the QB release and the spot of the delivery coincides with the receivers break and location.

Example.. if a corner is playing to the outside shoulder and the safety is halving the field in coverage receiver should make this break at this location on this beat after the snap for x route. Both have to read the play the same way and expect the receiver to be there on the proper timing.

That said.. this reads to me like Finley trying to deflect a bit of the cause for the drops.. if the ball is in your location and your not in harms why.. 99 out of a hundred times you better make that catch.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
12 years ago
I think we should cut him.

If he just played and shut his yap, I say keep him.

Cut maybe too harsh, upon reflection.

Trade his ass.
rabidgopher04
12 years ago
I get the sense that this past year he was feeling too mechanical and not letting his play develop naturally. It's like ballroom dancing - you need to get a feel for it otherwise if you are only thinking about making the correct steps you'll start tripping over yourself (or your partner).

Finley just needs to get a feel for his routes and not get overly concerned about counting his steps to be in the right position at the right time. Hopefully a full offseason of practice will give him this.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Yerko
12 years ago
I wouldn't read too much into Finley saying he needs to "freestyle" it more. When a wide receiver (or tight end for this matter) gets caught up in thinking too much about the route (how many steps do I take before I break, do I do this before I do that) their game becomes too one dimensional or as Finley puts it, robotic.

With not as much off season work, a past, recent injury, and even the contract situation (he can say it didn't play a role, I don't buy it) he couldn't just rely on his skill set to work him through the game. In being able to have all the off season work available to him, two years out of surgery, and a new contract...I have a feeling we are going to see a better Finley this season. Scary.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
After reading the article his comment seems more positive. When I first saw it, it seemed like he was saying he should have more freedom to "go on his own more". But in reading the article he is saying he wants to be able to run his route more naturally, without having to think about them, that sounds much better. In Sunday's Journal he talked about getting together with Rodgers this summer to develop better chemistry. That also sounds like a great idea.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Pack93z
12 years ago
Personally I like it.. if I read into it correctly.

Basically, play loose.. play free, don't over think the game and fret over everything.

Balls out.

Still play within the confines of the offense.. but just play.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Stevetarded
12 years ago
I have a fun idea for this thread. Let's take something Jermichael said, assume it was said in negative context, put an overly negative spin on it and then criticize him for it. Oh wait never mind that's what we do for every thread dealing with this guy, carry on.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (4h) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
24m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

45m / Around The NFL / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.