wils0646
12 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/134041253.html 

An excellent analysis by Tom Silverstein between the prime years of Rodgers' career and Favre's prime years of 1995-1996.

I keep telling people that Rodgers is playing better than Favre ever did, but that really is not a fair comparison. This article explains it well.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Good article. I threw the numbers together to see them side by side. The 16 game stretch for Brett was harder to attain because there were less rules assisting the passing dominance we see today.

UserPostedImage  brettaaron.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
millertime
12 years ago
Eye-opening article. Brett was a beast!
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
There's a reason why when I compare the two, I usually include the phrase "with the exception of the years 1995-1997" or something similar. In that stretch he threw 112 TDs to 42 INTs.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Good find Wils.

It's easy to hate on Favre and I don't think people can see Favre's accomplishments without their personal biases against him tainting them.

🇦🇷 is hands down the best QB today. I said in 2009 that he's better than Manning and last year, he was neck and neck with Brady. This year, it's obvious that he's the best QB hands down. There's not even an argument. I'll go as far as saying that if someone says any QB in the NFL is better than 🇦🇷, back away from them slowly as they're probably crazy.

That said, I want to see 🇦🇷 better than Favre in his prime. But I still stand by saying that I've NEVER seen a better QB than '95-97 Brett Favre, and that includes Joe who I followed his career as I was in SF for his prime.

Aaron has better WRs. Favre had a better TE set. Aaron has a better primary TE. Neither had solid OLs. Aaron has a better coach.

So once again, I sincerely hope Aaron shatters Favre's prime. But it's a very close call right now and I'll give Brett the slight nod. Luckily for us Packer fans, Aaron is not a head case and we won't see a drastic decline like we saw with Brett. Now, THAT is the good news for us Packer fans.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Silentio
12 years ago
I came to post the same article. It’s a good read. Thanks for putting the numbers up side by side, Zero. We have to recognize how blessed we are to be fans of the Packers right now. Even when Favre had some of his less stellar years, the Packers have been in the top half of the NFL more often than not. We view the years with losing records as aberrations, out of the ordinary. Favre is, in part, responsible for that, and as long as Rodgers is around I think we can be assured that that will remain the case.

One thing is important to note: I have frankly forgotten what it really felt like to watch Favre play. I can remember certain moments, drives, and games but the feeling I had while watching (with the exception of the game after Favre’s father died) have faded away. I think a big reason for that -- aside from the fact that emotion is ineffable and thus difficult to recall -- is because Rodgers' play has made me forget. I’ve lived in Denver for about three months now, and people around here pine away for the days of John Elway. They vividly and emotionally remember what it felt like when Elway was at the helm. Honestly, before we saw Rodgers take over for Favre in the Cowboys game in 2007, did anyone think we wouldn’t be in the same position as Broncos fans? The idea that Rodgers would replace Favre the same way Young replaced Montana was a fantasy, but to us fans it was only that. As soon as that fantasy was fulfilled there was no room for nostalgia for the Brett Favre era. So maybe Rodgers isn’t playing better than Favre in his prime, but he is playing well enough to make us forget what Favre’s prime was like.
blank
nerdmann
12 years ago
First of all, Starr was the best in franchise history.
Second of all, this is great. In Favre's 18 year career with the team, it is possible to find a streak of games that was comparable to Aaron. Awesome. This is when Favre was under control of Holmgren, running a HIGH PERCENTAGE passing offense. Arodge runs a low percentage vertical offense, and still gets it done.
Another great thing about Arodge is that he's not blackmailed due to his off the field exploits into throwing the most blatantly intentional interceptions in the playoffs or into laying down for Strahan's sack record. So I guess I'll take Aaron, thanks.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
The difference between Favre and Rodgers is not the ceiling. It is the floor. Rodgers best is probably a bit better than Favres best, but Rodgers average is phenomenal compared to Favre.

Favre was so up and down, he could have a year with a rating in the 70s, in fact he had 7 of them, or he could have a year with a rating in the 90s.

For his whole career, Favre sucked badly enough and often enough to bring his average down to tied with Trent Green. Since his great years were so great, it took a lot of suckage to bring him down that far.

Rodgers average is best ever.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
porky88
12 years ago
Brett Favre is the greatest example of how short term memories dominate our outlook on sports. I believe Favre had the best five-year run a QB ever had from 94-98. He was a freak in every sense. Everybody forgets about that, though. They remember his 07 or 09 seasons as his best, which is complete bull. Favre was simply amazing during the mid 90s. In fact, he was the best QB in that decade in my assessment, which is saying something. His play fell after Holmgren left, however. That is undeniable, but you can't takeaway the mid 90s from Favre's career. You're doing an injustice to the game of football if you do just that. Unfortunately, many have done this out of spite or they’re simply in denial. I hope that time heals the remaining wounds. Not just with Packer fans, but with football fans in general.
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

Brett Favre is the greatest example of how short term memories dominate our outlook on sports. I believe Favre had the best five-year run a QB ever had from 94-98. He was a freak in every sense. Everybody forgets about that, though. They remember his 07 or 09 seasons as his best, which is complete bull. Favre was simply amazing during the mid 90s. In fact, he was the best QB in that decade in my assessment, which is saying something. His play fell after Holmgren left, however. That is undeniable, but you can't takeaway the mid 90s from Favre's career. You're doing an injustice to the game of football if you do just that. Unfortunately, many have done this out of spite or they’re simply in denial. I hope that time heals the remaining wounds. Not just with Packer fans, but with football fans in general.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

You can't take away '93, '99, '00, '05, '06, '08 and '10 either. Mixed in with those 5 great years, were 7 horrible years and 10 playoff melt downs.

It isn't spite or denial. It is what he is. Great and catastropic. Denying that is also an injustice to football.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (23h) : rude
Mucky Tundra (23h) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

2h / Around The NFL / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

5h / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.