nerdmann
12 years ago
http://host.madison.com/sports/football/professional/article_124546ac-c0a9-11e0-b271-001cc4c002e0.html 

GREEN BAY — Brandian Ross wasn't your typical pick-six cornerback during his college career at Youngstown State University.

Actually, Ross never scored a touchdown.

But as an undrafted rookie trying to make the Green Bay Packers' roster, Ross is discovering that being a playmaker doesn't hurt his chances.

The 6-foot Ross was responsible for the most exciting play of Saturday's weather-shortened Packers Family Night scrimmage, intercepting quarterback Aaron Rodgers on the first offensive play of the night and returning it for about a 20-yard touchdown.

With both Green Bay's starting cornerbacks - Charles Woodson (coach's decision) and Tramon Williams (hip) - sitting out, it opened the door for the 21-year-old Ross to show why he is the Penguins' first defensive player to sign an undrafted NFL contract since 2003.

"In college, I was more of the ‘pick it and run out of bounds' guy," said Ross, who had seven interceptions in his four-year college career. "I wasn't the type to score in college, but it was definitely nice to do."

Ross continued to hold his own against the first-string offense, breaking up a long-pass to wide receiver Jordy Nelson on the offense's next possession.

Rodgers got a measure of revenge later in practice with a long completion to wide receiver Randall Cobb at Ross' expense, but it was a strong start overall.

If Ross needed any further proof of where a strong training camp can get you, he need look no further than second-year cornerback Sam Shields, who made the team last year by showing game-breaking ability in the preseason.

"Making plays on this defense is going to get me on the field," Ross said.

Injury ward

Packers linebacker Clay Matthews sat out Saturday's practice after tweaking his glute.

Matthews practiced Friday and Packers coach Mike McCarthy said "he'll have a chance" to return Monday.

Packers kicker Mason Crosby participated in kicking drills before practice, but didn't formally practice Saturday after hurting his ankle during practice Friday.

The only apparent causality of Saturday's practice was cornerback Brandon Underwood, who needed to be helped off the field after hurting his leg, which McCarthy said could either be a hamstring or quad injury.

Underwood was on crutches in the locker room and declined to comment on the injury.

Tackle Chris Campbell, who is trying to make the team after being Green Bay's practice squad for a majority of last season, also sat out with a right knee injury. He practiced on Friday and described the injury as "a little holdback."

Sherrod shuffle

The Packers' practice may have been short Saturday, but the team's starting offensive line and top reserves still were able to get an adequate workout during drills.

That included first-round draft pick Derek Sherrod, who started with the first-team offense at left guard.

Midway through first-team reps, however, the Packers moved him to left tackle - the position he played at Mississippi State for three years.

Sherrod held his own, stifling linebacker Erik Walden on a couple blitzes during the offense's most successful series that ended with Rodgers hitting Nelson for a touchdown.

"I felt good," Sherrod said. "It's just going out there and playing and trying to be successful each and every play. Whether it's guard or tackle, I'm just going to try to do my best."

Reserve lineman Marshall Newhouse saw time at both tackle positions with T.J. Lang moving in at left guard when Sherrod moved to left tackle.

No rain checks

The Packers won't issue refunds despite weather shortening Family Night's football portion to only 20 minutes.

The team cut short its pregame festivities in an attempt to avoid inclement weather, but still had to wrap-up the practice after the first-team offense's run-through.

Some 43,048 fans attended the festivities.

MadisonSports wrote:

Seems like every year there's a guy who gets a pick 6. Usually makes the team too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
12 years ago
http://espnmilwaukee.com/page.php?page_id=278 

Thumbs up: Every day, Randall Cobb does at least one thing to impress, and Saturday night’s Family Night Scrimmage was no exception. Working with the No. 1 offense in a three-receiver set because starter Greg Jennings sat out, Cobb reeled in a 40-yard back-shoulder pass from quarterback Aaron Rodgers on a second-and-10 play for the night’s longest gain. When linebacker Erik Walden jumped offside on the play, the receivers converted their routes to go routes, and Rodgers and Cobb were on the same wavelength. “Aaron threw me the ball and I just had to make a play on it,” Cobb said. “When they jump offsides, we all run all go’s. We had the penalty, but it’s always better to get extra yards.”

Thumbs down: Mother Nature clearly has it in for the Family Night Scrimmage. From a rain delay in 2008 to a complete washout in 2009 to Saturday night’s abbreviated proceedings, the team may have to consider scrapping the event if the weather is going to continue to cause issues. Coach Mike McCarthy looked pretty ticked off as he left the field with corporate security director Doug Collins and football administration coordinator Matt Klein, and while the coach essentially threw up his hands in his post-practice press briefing, he did point out that a normal practice could have just been moved inside the Don Hutson Center and continued as planned. At least one player, though, didn’t realize that the team was serious about calling off the event after the players headed for the locker room at 7:47 p.m. “I really didn’t think it was over. I thought everybody was joking with me,” Cobb said. “I got back in here, I’m sitting and drinking a Gatorade, and I see everybody taking their pads off. I’m like, ‘What are you doing?’ And then they told me it was over, and I didn’t believe them for like five minutes.”

Play of the day: Depending on your perspective, it was either the best play of the night or the worst play. Either way, it was the most memorable. On the first play from scrimmage, Rodgers turned and fired to wide receiver James Jones on the left side, where undrafted rookie free agent Brandian Ross lay in wait. Ross jumped the route and was off to the races on a 20-yard interception return for a touchdown. Ross also broke up a pass downfield later in the scrimmage, but also gave up Cobb’s big gainer. Ross hadn’t done much to stand out during the first week in camp, but Saturday night was an attention-grabber. “I’m picking up on the playbook well and trying to see where I fit in as far as defense and special teams and just working hard,” Ross said. “I’m doing fine with it. I consider myself a quick learner so picking up on the playbook wasn’t too hard. It’s just doing it at the speed of the NFL – that was difficult. As far as learning it, it wasn’t too bad.”

Camp confidential: McCarthy had been looking forward to Family Night because it is his first run-through of game-day logistics, and while it was shortened, he was able to put his staff through at least some of the game-day atmosphere. “It’s your first time to take the field as a football team, so you have to warm up, (handle) the substitution (patterns), the management for the headsets for the coaches. The operation is very important,” McCarthy said. “I feel good about that. We accomplished that tonight.” As far as player assessment, though, McCarthy said he “really didn’t learn anything there today,” that he couldn’t have learned from a regular practice. Despite the setback, though, McCarthy said he wouldn’t give the players extra work to make up for the lost night. “This won’t factor in our training camp preparation as far as the reps that we lost tonight,” he said. “

Injury report: Safety Brandon Underwood was on crutches in the locker room after the event and declined to talk to reporters after suffering a leg injury in the scrimmage. McCarthy said the injury was “something above his knee – I don’t know if it’s hamstring or quad yet.” Sitting out Family Night were cornerbacks Charles Woodson (rest), Tramon Williams (hip flexor) and Davon House (hamstring); linebacker Clay Matthews (glute); wide receiver Greg Jennings (hip flexor); tight end Jermichael Finley (knee/rest); defensive end Lawrence Guy (concussion); and offensive linemen Adrian Battles (Achilles’) and Theo Sherman (ankle). Right tackle Bryan Bulaga, who left practice early Friday night with knee soreness, was back in action, as were tight end Tom Crabtree (hip flexor) and wide receiver Kerry Taylor (concussion). Linebacker Diyral Briggs (hamstring) and defensive tackle Eli Joseph (hamstring) still haven’t passed their physicals and remain on PUP. Williams said afterward that the hip is nothing to be concerned about. Also, kicker Mason Crosby kicked field goals in pre-game warm-ups but did not do anything in the actual scrimmage because he tweaked his ankle on Friday, according to McCarthy.

Practice schedule: The Packers are off Sunday. They return to Nitschke Field for practice at 7 p.m. Monday.

Wilde wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
porky88
12 years ago
The play had more to do with Aaron Rodgers staring down James Jones than Ross actually doing anything special. I don't think it's his Tramon Williams moment, but you never know. I'm sure the coaches are going to give him an extra look now.
nerdmann
12 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/127078758.html 

Saturday scrimmage report
Starks looks good in early running

THUMBS UP

Until they are against live tackling, RB James Starks' training camp runs are just that: training camp runs. But considering the way he emerged as the leading rusher in the postseason last year, there's reason to believe those impressive runs are an indication of what's to come. Starks gained about 8 pounds of muscle and it shows. Now, not only is he making great cuts and getting his body moving north in a hurry, he's getting his pads down and trying to run defenders over. One positive quality of Starks is that he always seems to get a few yards after contact. On a couple of runs in the early going, Starks looked very smooth. He made a strong cutback on one run and darted up the middle on the other. Coach Mike McCarthy said he still wants a two-back operation, but Starks might make him think otherwise.
THUMBS DOWN

It wasn't exactly the best way to start a scrimmage. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers dropped back to pass, threw to receiver James Jones and watched as undrafted rookie Brandian Ross picked him off at about the 30 and returned it for a touchdown. McCarthy said it was a read between Rodgers and Jones and one of them read one thing and one the other. "It was a route adjustment," McCarthy said. By his body language, Rodgers was clearly ticked off about the play. It's certainly not the end of the world that Rodgers threw an interception, but it shows the challenges of this season. With no off-season, the players do not have the timing they might have if they had been through a dozen workouts. It also raises the question whether the offense would have benefited from working out together in the off-season. The interception may mean nothing in the long run, but the timing on offense will be something to keep an eye on.
INJURY REPORT

Not long before the players were pulled off the field, CB Brandon Underwood went down with a right knee injury that didn't look good. He needed help getting off the field and was given stability tests on the sideline by team physician Pat McKenzie. He left the locker room on crutches.

McCarthy did not report any other injuries occurring in the practice.

Among those who sat out because of injury were LB Clay Matthews (glute) and K Mason Crosby (ankle). McCarthy said Matthews should be back Monday and that a decision was made not to push Crosby. He said he does not know when Crosby hurt his ankle. It might explain his 4-for-8 performance Friday night.

Also, OT Chris Campbell sat out with an unspecified injury.

Others who were out were: CB Tramon Williams (hip), CB Davon House (hamstring), WR Greg Jennings (hip) and DE Lawrence Guy (concussion).

TE Jermichael Finley, CB Charles Woodson and LB Desmond Bishop did not practice but weren't believed to be hurt.

OT Bryan Bulaga (knee) returned to practice after dropping out Friday and WR Kerry Taylor returned from a concussion.
ODDS AND ENDS

WR Randall Cobb had one of the better moves of the night when he broke back on a go route against Ross and then juked his way for a 40-yard gain.

Rookie Derek Sherrod started at left guard with the No. 1 offense.

Rodgers led the No. 1 offense to just one score on his three possessions. One of the possessions would have resulted in a makeable field goal had Crosby been available to kick.
SCHEDULE

The next practice will be Monday at 7 p.m. in full pads.

JSO wrote:

nerdmann
12 years ago
http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2011/08/06/highlights-of-the-packers-family-night-scrimmage/ 

The 11th annual Green Bay Packers Family Night Scrimmage was called off about 30 minutes into the practice Saturday night, as storms rolled into the area and coaches feared for the players’ safety.

Before fans and players filtered out of Lambeau Field, however, the Packers did get some practice reps in.

Here are some of the highlights from Saturday’s Family Night Scrimmage:

Plenty on the sidelines

As is the case most years, some of the notable Packers watched from the sidelines. Among them were Clay Matthews, Charles Woodson and Greg Jennings. Matthews tweaked his glute, but should be ready for Monday’s practice. Jennings is still nursing a hip injury and was held out for cautionary reasons.

Rodgers’ early turnover

On the No. 1 offense’s first play, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers was intercepted by cornerback Brandian Ross for a touchdown. Rodgers was trying to connect with James Jones on an out pattern, but Ross stepped in front of the route and returned it the length of the field. Rusty first throw for Rodgers, but Ross told Tyler Dunne that he saw a brief exchange from Rodgers and Jones before that play that gave away the route. I wouldn’t expect that kind of give-away once the games matter.

Sherrod starts at LG

Despite going through some of the ups-and-downs in camp that you’d expect from a first-year player, Derek Sherrod started at left guard. That doesn’t mean T.J. Lang is out of the mix. The starting left guard is still far from decided.

Grant slow out the gate

Without live tackling, any running play that went down on Saturday night had to be taken with a grain of salt. Still, running back Ryan Grant’s handful of carries were far from impressive. He likely would have lost yards on several carries.

Starks continues to show burst

While Grant was stuck in reverse for most of the night, second-year back James Starks continued to impress. Tackling wasn’t allowed, but you’d have to think that Starks would have like there to be. He was running with a purpose; running with violence.

Underwood goes down

His roster spot was tenuous as it was, but cornerback-turned-safety Brandon Underwood left the practice with an undisclosed knee injury. He said “he’ll be alright,”but you’d have to believe he’ll miss some practice time in the coming days and possibly weeks. After an offseason filled with legal troubles, an unhealthy knee could be the final straw for his roster chances.

Cobb makes nice play

In addition to returning punts, Packers rookie receiver Randall Cobb made a nice adjustment on a backshoulder throw from Rodgers that was good for 40 yards. You don’t want to get too excited before his first ever preseason game, but it’s hard not to like what Cobb has shown on the field in the early goings.

Swain fighting for a roster spot

Receiver Brett Swain might be on the outside looking in for a roster spot, but he got a few looks Saturday night. Rodgers heaved a rainbow that bounced off his hands as he sprawled out, then Swain caught a comeback from Rodgers as he scrambled out of the pocket on third down. He has to know that he’s a likely roster cut with all the talent the Packers have at receiver. It’s a tough spot for a guy who worked his way onto the roster last year.

Jones gets a cheer

The crowd of 43,048 at Lambeau Field gave newly re-signed receiver James Jones a nice cheer after catching a ball from Rodgers on a post pattern. Jones beat Ross on the play and looked sure-handed on the catch. He received a $9.6 million deal from the Packers last weekend.

Highlights from McCarthy’s presser

McCarthy said he “felt for the fans” but “in hindsight, it might be a good break for them. They’re mentally wore down, more so than physically.” It’s been a crash-course training camp, so it’s understandable that the team might be mentally exhausted. He also said he “wasn’t opposed to a tandem backfield,” which bears well for fans of Starks. Whoever is playing the best at the time will start, in my opinion. It’ll be a week-to-week battle to win carries in practice.

Lastly, McCarthy had high praise for Cobb, saying his ball skills “remind him of Charles Woodson.” Unless he self-destructs in the preseason, I’d say he’s a lock to return punts to start the season.

JerseyAl wrote:

Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

The only apparent causality of Saturday's practice was cornerback Brandon Underwood

"sloppy so-called journalist" wrote:

Proofreading truly is a lost art these days.

Speaking of Underwood, he was probably a bubble player at best coming into this offseason. He would do well to heed Mike McCarthy's admonitions about availability.

Starks looked strong, powerful and fast out there. He was fun to watch. Grant looked lumbering and slow by comparison, though he seemed to be having fun.

What is it with Clay Matthews and tweaking muscles in his legs? Dude needs to work on his flexibility or something. On the other hand, he seems to be a lot like Charles Woodson: always hurt, yet always out on the field.

Jordy Nelson looked sloppy and tentative, though Gordy was covering him a little hamfistedly, so it will be interesting to see how that develops.

Fan standards have dropped pretty low if they are cheering Jones for making what amounts to a routine catch.

I am really looking forward to seeing how our offensive line and defensive back candidates blossom.
UserPostedImage
shield4life
12 years ago
Sucks that we can't get any highlights ...

Who else thinks Brandian Ross is a steal, hearing a lot of good things about this kid. Considering he even played CB, his potential is amazing. If I'm not mistaking Sam Shields isn't a natural CB ... well he wasn't one prior to joining GB right?
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
RainX
12 years ago
I think the Family night event is a good idea, but you can't really blame the weather for it. It probably would have sold out had it not been for the lockout.

I saw a few highlights from it and the team is looking good for the most part. Ross I think might be a good candidate for the practice squad unless he shows Shields like play in camp this year where the team feels they have to protect him on the 53-man roster. It's going to be tough for him to crack a secondary that already had Woodson, Shields, Williams, House, and Bush probably good bets to make it. I could see them carrying six CBs though. You might as well stick a fork in Underwood though. At best, he probably will get put on IR for the year after all his legal problems and latest injury. More than likely will be cut by the end of camp otherwise.

Swain is an intriguing prospect just from the fact he has value on special teams and can play CB in a pinch. He's an ideal 5th receiver candidate, but Cobb is probably going to end up taking his spot on the roster, especially with a healthy Finley back. If we have a similar rush of Packers roster cuts at the end of camp getting claimed off waivers by other teams like last year, it wouldn't shock me if Swain was among them.
blank
GoPack1984
12 years ago

What is it with Clay Matthews and tweaking muscles in his legs? Dude needs to work on his flexibility or something. On the other hand, he seems to be a lot like Charles Woodson: always hurt, yet always out on the field.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Been wondering the same thing. Maybe a muscle imbalance between his quadriceps and hamstring muscles? Hope he warms-up well and does his stretching.
blank
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I've read a few quotes about James Starks having some kind of an extra burst. I really wanna see this, dammit!!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
wpr (22-Jun) : A Packer, Lion and Viking kicker were vying for a job. The bares kicker didn't even qualify.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Supposedly looked good up to this point in OTA's etc. "Monster Leg" mentioned.
dfosterf (21-Jun) : Packers picked up Lions reject kicker James Turner, the guy they cut to make room for Jake Bates
Mucky Tundra (20-Jun) : And Javon Bullard missing a tackle. Win some lose some apparently
Zero2Cool (20-Jun) : Madden 25 trailer opens with Justin Fields returning a kick off hahahaha
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : Packers have released kicker Jack Podlesny.
Zero2Cool (19-Jun) : I saw that today. I actually thought he passed away few years ago. 24 time All Star.
Martha Careful (19-Jun) : sad news tonight. Willie Mays passes away. He was the greatest of all time
Martha Careful (16-Jun) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

1h / Around The NFL / wpr

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.