Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
(really long)

Friends,
As some of you know, I'm currently writing a book on the future of higher education. My hope is to have a pre-publication release of the entire book sometime next spring, with "official" publication by the end of the summer. (For anyone who cares about such things, I'm intentionally taking the self-publishing route rather than waste two years going the traditional route.)

Anyway, I'm hoping from time to time to drop pieces of that book here for your review, disdain, whoops of derisive laughter, and the like.

(I hope this is okay, Kevin?)

Hopefully some of you will be interested in reading -- I can't promise anything as good as Montana Bob's stories because (a) I'm a long-winded academic; (b) a significant part of my intended audience will be people who are long-winded academics; (c) I'm a contrarian asshole; and (d) well, you know me.

So far, I actually only have one chapter  in what I would call "ready to go public, at least with friends" form; and re-reading that one just now, I'm no longer sure about it. However, I do have another 7-14 (the number varies daily with my optimism) that I expect ready to go public with before school starts, and pieces of virtually all of them.

Which brings me to today's specific request ...

The thread on "Quote of the Day" got me thinking of one of the pieces I'm planning to tuck away in an appendix. Since one of the arguments in the book is a call for "absurd transparency" on the part of teachers, I'm trying to practice what I preach by doing everything I can in the book to reveal my own biases and prejudices. The "appendix" reproduced below is intended as part of that personal transparency.

Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks.
The resident pedant

APPENDIX IV
Biases, Prejudices, and Other Hidden Assumptions
Version 1.5

Many people like to base their criticism of another’s ideas upon identified “biases” and “prejudices.” He is biased, they say, and therefore not worth believing. She is prejudiced, it is said, and therefore not worth listening to.

To make those critics’ tasks easier, I provide herewith copies of two documents. First is my personal mission statement; second is a list I immodestly call “Wade’s Rules and Principles.” Together or separate, they should provide critics with plenty of evidence as to my own biases and prejudices. Such critics should feel free to use them as they deem necessary, be it to build glass houses, windmills, impregnable bunkers, or houses of stone that no wicked wolf can blow down. As for me, I welcome all criticism, however grounded. Whether the criticism is based on my “unjustified conclusions” or my “hidden assumptions,” my arrogance, my imperfect logic, my flawed storytelling, I shall strive to listen carefully to it all, even as I also strive to follow the example of the apostle Paul,

I care very little if I am judged by you or by human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. (1 Corinthians 4: 3-4.)

(Yes, I have that bias, too.)

Document A

STATEMENT OF MISSION

My mission comes from God. I pursue it in obedience to Him. I pursue it not to serve my or others’ desires, but to serve His. In faith to His will and for His glory. As obedience to His Great Commandment.

My mission is to help people listen better.

To reduce the costs of listening. To seek, stand upon, and reshape the commons whereon quality listening can be cheap. To transform the ecology of listening so that true and righteous bridges might be built between those with different ways of understanding.

My mission requires that I strive to become a master listener. Not so I can call myself expert or accumulate wealth, but so I might provide greater value to others and aid them in our mutual listening. If others are to listen better, I must myself model best listening practices. I must listen well. I must iterate my listening. I must listen. And think. And repeat.

So shall I strive.

My mission requires that I strive to become a master teacher. If my students are to listen better to economic argument, evidence, and experience, if they are to better judge and interpret and understand economic life, if I am to help them see the virtues and limitations of economic and historical ways of thinking, I must strive for a master’s understanding of the learning process.

So shall I strive.

My mission requires that I strive to publish and be read. Listening is my apostolacy. If I am to listen better, if I am to convince others to listen better, I must speak openly and publicly. I must submit and defend my principles before the critical eyes of others.

So shall I strive.

My mission requires that I strive in both academic and business worlds. If I am to help people better listen to the details of economic and historical change, I must myself connect, deeply and broadly, both to the world of scholarship and to the everyday world of 21st-century business.

So shall I strive.

Submitted and avowed unto God, this twenty-second day of June, 2009.
/s/ Wade E. Shilts

Document B

WADE’S RULES AND PRINCIPLES

1. Rule 1: It's for His glory. Period.
2. Rule 2 (the listening principle): Listen. Think. Repeat.
3. Sturgeon's law ("90 percent of everything is crap") applies to writing about economics.
4. Sturgeon was an optimist.
5. "Look at more stuff. Think about it harder." (quoting Andy Stefanovich)
6. If you aren't spending 80% or more of your time pursuing your mission, either you lack a mission or your priorities are screwed up.
7. The only thing Congress can be trusted to do is eff things up more. Ditto for the President.
8. Work is a four-letter word and should be censored accordingly.
9. Anyone can talk. *I* can talk. Listen to Nike instead. Just do it.
10. Short answers are at best incomplete, and, usually, wrong.
11. If the question is important, the answer is rarely obvious.
12. Experience is not a self-evident truth.
13. Never vote for an incumbent. No politician is worth the cost of another term.
14. "None of the above" can be the best choice.
15. "It's not about winning an argument; it's about convincing you to agree with me.
16. Nouns and verbs work. Adjectives and adverbs bore.
17. Subject. Verb. Object. That's all a sentence needs. And sometimes subject and verb are optional.
18. (The sympathy principle.) If you're not interested in something I'm interested in, what makes you think I'm going to be interested in you?
19. It ought to be the words that matter, not the person. That you are a Senator of the United States doesn't mean a damn thing to me just because you make me buy the shoes you keep shoving in your mouth.
20. Everyone's an asshole from time to time. Even me. Even you. Get over it.
21. Feel free to be thin-skinned and take offense. Just don’t expect me to worry about it when you do.
22. If you don't pay attention to the words you use, neither will anyone else.
23. Bad habits are harder to break than good ones. Just look at me.
24. The goal isn't having your opinion heard. It's having your opinion persuade.
25. Anyone can publish. Getting listened to is another matter. So is being worth listening to.
26. (Orwell principle.) Diction is more than semantics. Word choice has consequences. Choose your words. Or lose your choices.
27. "Big picture" research (inter-disciplinarity, synthesis) can't follow the same rules as discipline-centered research.
28. Any clown can figure out something that is necessary. The trick is figuring out what is sufficient.
29. Live like an entrepreneur, not like a lawyer.
30. Discernment is about judging information, not people.
31. Of course there are bad questions. Dumb questions, too. Wisdom doesn't come from constantly asking questions. Wisdom comes from knowing when to ask and when not to ask.
32. Saying "in my opinion" is redundant. You wrote the sentence. Of course it's your opinion.
33. If it's someone else's opinion, tell me that. Otherwise, see previous rule.
34. If I cannot accomplish what I believe needs doing in my classes, I should not be teaching at Luther College. Or anywhere.
35. 21st century educators must provide their students with opportunities for developing "next order" skills. If they fail to do so, they are overpaid.
36. A passion should be a six-day-a-week habit. And if your passion is your mission, it should tempt you to make it a seven-day-a-week one.
37. I'm not a content provider. I'm an apostle Ifof ways of thinking.
38. I'm not an encyclopedia. That's what libraries and the Internet are for.
39. My field is not economics or even economic history. My field is the teaching of economics and economic history.
40. Every good idea is expensive to listen to. What makes an idea good is not how cheap it is, but how much more than its cost it is worth.
41. The problem with ignorance is not a lack of knowledge. It is the corruption of thinking that ignorance encourages.
42. Don't call me a generalist. I'm a synthesist. A generalist seeks to do many things. A synthesist seeks to do only one: to put together.
43. It's not about how much you know. It's about how well you think.
44. There's a reason they call the PhD a "terminal degree." Most people holding it have killed their brains.
45. It's not how much you know about the past that matters, it's how well you use the past.
46. The important things I learned in grad school are too important to leave the monopoly of those with advanced degrees.
47. Definitions are for working with, manipulating, playing with, and putting to use. Not for memorizing.
48. There is no mainstream. And no middle class. And both of these absences are good things.
49. Judgment develops only by its exercise. Everyone is born with the ability to think. No one is born with the ability to think well.
50. "Always," "never," "everything," and "nothing" are dangerous words. People who believe in them are made-to-order dupes of politicians, hack journalists, spammers, and other charlatans.
51. (Emerson principle) Any small mind can insist on consistency. Large minds admit paradox and contradiction.
52. Give options, not rules.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Cheesey
13 years ago
Well, in MY opinion, that was pretty good! (Couldn't resist!!)LOL!

#3.That "Sturgeon's law" sounds a little fishy to me.

You have a good plan there, Wade!
Alot of good info!
UserPostedImage
vikesrule
13 years ago
Wade, a most impressive project indeed.

I taught for a few years at a Community college/Technical college (I was on the technical side).
I wish that I had known you back then.
I was ill prepared to teach, but I believe that I did get better at it.
The first two things that I learned....
#1 Just because you know something, does not mean that you can teach it.
#2 I wrongly believed that everyone learned the same way that I did.

With your permission Wade, I would like to link your project /ideas to three of my family.
All are educators, very passionate about education and all three hold Master degrees in education.
1. My oldest sister, a retired elementary teacher in the California school system
2. My brother-in-law, a retired middle school teacher that also "taught teachers" at Winona State.
3. One of my nieces, currently teaches at NIACC in northern Iowa and instructs "future teachers"

All of them love to discuss/debate education and like I said are very passionate about it.
But my niece is a real ball of fire when it comes to pretty much anything, let alone education.

One initial observation from me...

"My mission comes from God."
A little to "Blues brothers" for me.😉
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

Wade, a most impressive project indeed.

I taught for a few years at a Community college/Technical college (I was on the technical side).
I wish that I had known you back then.
I was ill prepared to teach, but I believe that I did get better at it.
The first two things that I learned....
#1 Just because you know something, does not mean that you can teach it.
#2 I wrongly believed that everyone learned the same way that I did.

With your permission Wade, I would like to link your project /ideas to three of my family.
All are educators, very passionate about education and all three hold Master degrees in education.
1. My oldest sister, a retired elementary teacher in the California school system
2. My brother-in-law, a retired middle school teacher that also "taught teachers" at Winona State.
3. One of my nieces, currently teaches at NIACC in northern Iowa and instructs "future teachers"

All of them love to discuss/debate education and like I said are very passionate about it.
But my niece is a real ball of fire when it comes to pretty much anything, let alone education.

A little to "Blues brothers" for me.😉

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

1. Feel free to link.
2. Love the Blues Brothers reference.
3. Re: your #1 and, especially, your #2 -- it never ceases to amaze me how many people in "higher" education fail to recognize these enough for it to affect their teaching practice. They occasionally make claims otherwise, yet in the way they approach their classrooms, they clearly don't practice what they preach.

I don't know if it will stay this way, but I currently have a chapter that begins:

"I'm not a great teacher.

"I've never won a teaching award.

"I never will.

"For some, this admission will be enough for them to stop reading. And that's why I put it where I do. Because if you are one of those who only listens to what the "top people" say, you simply aren't open-minded enough to get what I'm trying to say here. And no matter what else I say here, I'm not going to convince you otherwise. So you might as move on to something else.

"Because higher education is not about the top 5% anymore.

"It's not about the top 5%. It's not about the top 5% of students, and it's not about the top 5% of teachers. It's not about the top 5% of anyone.

"Five percent isn't even the right order of magnitude. If we're going to solve the problems of higher education we're going to have to figure out how to make our solutions scalable to the order of FIFTY percent of the people involved. We need to find ways of making "economics for citizenship" (or, more generally, the "higher order thinking skills" that I'm going on about) available and attainable for at least half the student population.

"And that means we need solutions that can and will be implemented, not just by the stars who publish a lot of scholarly papers and write a lot of books and win "best teacher" awards. We need solutions that can and will be implemented by the Wades of the classroom. The ones for whom teaching is a struggle that often falls short.

"It is not my successes at a teacher that help me to listen to that 50 percent rather than just the top 5% that every teacher enjoys working with. It's my failures."
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
13 years ago

A little to "Blues brothers" for me.Wink

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

Great.. now I will be humming Soul Man all day long.. lol... either that or Minnie the Moocher.

Hidehidehidehi .....(hidehidehidehi)......Hodehodehodeho 
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Yes Wade you can add a page that says ...

To My Friends At
PackersHome.com

;)
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

52. Give options, not rules.

Wade - this is brilliant. This should be the among the top things to remember in parenting.

I have known kids brought up with strict rules. They're usually not the most pleasant people.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Wade - this is brilliant. This should be the among the top things to remember in parenting.

I have known kids brought up with strict rules. They're usually not the most pleasant people.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

When I told Keiana that when she comes back, I'm gonna try to not be so hard on her. She said I wasn't hard on her and that she knows I just want her to be successful. Which is good, I guess, but there were a lot of implied petty rules that are not necessary.

One example and easily the most petty is her toothbrush. She'd put it on the edge of the bathroom sink which was directly below the light switch. I told her she should push it back about a foot so no one puts their dirty hands on it or knocks it over. I remember seeing it on the edge day after day and one morning I just went 'seriously, wtf is my problem, who cares?'.

My dad always told me, if you're not hurting someone else or yourself, do whatever you want. The problem with dad was he tons of rules that he didn't make me aware of until I broke them and I'd get chewed out. It made me scared to try anything new.

I don't want Keiana to be like that. Speaking of the word "don't", I try to never say that to her. Instead of saying "dont put your elbows on the dinner table" I'll look at her elbows and she usually picks up on it right away, if not I'll say "so, do we normally have our elbows on the table while eating?". She just smiles and moves her elbows.

I know that may sound petty, but elbows on a table looks slobbish. She also slouches when she does it. But if she's keeping her elbows off the table, she's sitting up straight.

UserPostedImage
vikesrule
13 years ago
Links sent...Thanks.

When I started teaching, I had to take several courses at Bemidji State (now Minnesota State-Bemidji)
for teachers license.
They gave a temporary license back then, as long as you held a BS degree in your field.
Anyway, one of the professors there stood out the most, very unique guy and had a completely different method
of teaching. You remind me of him.

This particular class was small, about 8 of us and held on the weekends.
One Saturday he had us over to his house and half of his basement was made into a genuine, fully functional
1940's dime-store soda fountain.Very awesome.
I learned more about teaching, sitting around that soda fountain, eating ice cream and
having some of the most stimulating conversations about education.

I sense a very deep distrust from you in the upper-elite in the world of academia.
This too reminds me of someone, the President of the college that I taught at.
Hell of nice guy, deeply committed to education, pretty much the entire alphabet tacked on behind his name,
but so firmly entrenched in the ivory tower that his concept of reality was so very....well... unreal.

Wade, give me shout out the next time you give a presentation/lecture in the non-classroom environment.

And for 93z... here's a little sumpin', sumpin' for ya.....

These guys are known as "The Late Nite Blues Brothers". One of my nephews is the trumpet player.
They put on a great show!

zombieslayer
13 years ago

When I told Keiana that when she comes back, I'm gonna try to not be so hard on her. She said I wasn't hard on her and that she knows I just want her to be successful. Which is good, I guess, but there were a lot of implied petty rules that are not necessary.

One example and easily the most petty is her toothbrush. She'd put it on the edge of the bathroom sink which was directly below the light switch. I told her she should push it back about a foot so no one puts their dirty hands on it or knocks it over. I remember seeing it on the edge day after day and one morning I just went 'seriously, wtf is my problem, who cares?'.

My dad always told me, if you're not hurting someone else or yourself, do whatever you want. The problem with dad was he tons of rules that he didn't make me aware of until I broke them and I'd get chewed out. It made me scared to try anything new.

I don't want Keiana to be like that. Speaking of the word "don't", I try to never say that to her. Instead of saying "dont put your elbows on the dinner table" I'll look at her elbows and she usually picks up on it right away, if not I'll say "so, do we normally have our elbows on the table while eating?". She just smiles and moves her elbows.

I know that may sound petty, but elbows on a table looks slobbish. She also slouches when she does it. But if she's keeping her elbows off the table, she's sitting up straight.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

No, it makes sense. Elbows on the table looks ghetto and it's bad for posture. I tell my son "stand up straight" instead of "don't slouch." It's better to tell someone what to do instead of tell them what not to do.

I like what your father said. That's a good saying.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (17h) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (20h) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
11h / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.