wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

Jennings did a little thing on the NFL network suggesting that we need a Oline man; LT prefer.

not sure which we need but I wouldnt mind another solid Oline guy. Heck if we grabbed 2 in the draft that would be nice (doesnt have to be the 1st round but wtfe).

Positions:
- Dline Jolly, jenkins, Green, Pickett, Wynn (can we boot him yet?), Harrell (are we done with him yet?) ... oh ya and raji ... how many more dudes do we need? - dont see a pick here
- Safety (no idea why I have seen peeps talk a need at safety); if you remember we have bigby, and then burnett coming off IR, and then Smith in the wings (whom Ted Thompson regretted so much for letting go (even woodson spoke up)), and we have peprah and collins as starters (how many freaking potential starters at safety do we need?
- Cornerback is another story - Do we want bell or bush or underweight...mean underwood to play corner against our opponents ... err is bell still on our team? We might not need a starter but if there is a dude on the board that can play ball then by all means.
- RB - ok jackson and kuhn arnt starters; If grant comes back full then we have grant and starks and we all know how much we enjoyed starks on the field. IMO I wouldnt take a dude this time. But I dont know how grants status is.
- WR - ya Id grab a nice tall dude. In the later rounds. If jones stays that somewhere real late
- TE - no more freaking cant catch TEs ... stick with finley and like crabtree and be done with it.
- FB - err we are probably going to boot hall; so definately not.
- Linebacker - tough one; I hear alot of peeps talking about our ROLB position - IMO we were much worse off last preseason with jones as our starter and Ted Thompson didnt even flinch at having him be that. Now we have jones/walden/zombo all with starter potential.
I just dont see it - but wouldnt be surprised if there was a good pick on the board.
- Oline - LT is a main concern - I dont know the guards that well so cant comment on them. Center and RT seem set; unless they plan on moving bulaga and need someone to cover the RT.

k Im done

"Dulak" wrote:

-DLine- There is no guarantee at this time that Jolly can come be back. Ted may not want to pay Jenkins the money he is asking for. Harrell and Wynn may not be asked back. I doubt all of this happens but if so GB is going to have to pick up someone for the line.
-Safety- Once again, Bigby and Peprah are FA and Ted may not want to pay them what they are looking for. Smith has issues. It is possible Ted and/ or Mike will have their fill of him by the end of TC.

k I'm done too. :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago

Jason Spitz "is capable of starting" hmmm I have my doubts.

"nerdmann" wrote:

He's on his way out. Marshall Newhouse will be the LT of the future. He's not a G and he can't play the left side. Lang slides to LG and Bulaga stays put. McDonald can compete with Lang. I'd like them to pick up a burly C.

"yooperfan" wrote:

If Colledge isn't back then Lang to LG. And the Packers seriously need to get better depth because after Tausher went down and Bulaga started Lang became their depth.

I think Spitz could of started until his serious back injury last year. He just hasn't been the same since and I don't think he could play well other than maybe C.

McDonald is a burly C that I think could be the future starter.

Newhouse isn't quick enough for an NFL OT, and he isn't strong or physical enough for NFL OG. He could be on his way out.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago

Newhouse isn't quick enough for an NFL OT, and he isn't strong or physical enough for NFL OG. He could be on his way out.

"beast" wrote:

You're not going to give him a chance to build his strength? There have been a lot of players in the NFL who built themselves up over a year or two and began pretty good. Kampman and Jenkins are two that quickly come to mind.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
13 years ago
Thanks for posting this WPR.. I truly appreciate you posted it here and not in the NFL Section. I just do not go there often.

What jumps out to me... is the "Number of Positions Of Need" each team has. That is universal and not subject to a writers personal agenda.

The number of Position Needs says a great deal about how the NFC North will line up for at least the next two years.

According to this article it lines up like this as far a Positions Of Need.

Packers- 03

Lions- 05

Bears- 07

Vikes- 09
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago
I did it for you RP. ::wink: Of course there are others who don't look there too.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago

Jennings did a little thing on the NFL network suggesting that we need a Oline man; LT prefer.

not sure which we need but I wouldnt mind another solid Oline guy. Heck if we grabbed 2 in the draft that would be nice (doesnt have to be the 1st round but wtfe).

Positions:
- Dline Jolly, jenkins, Green, Pickett, Wynn (can we boot him yet?), Harrell (are we done with him yet?) ... oh ya and raji ... how many more dudes do we need? - dont see a pick here
- Safety (no idea why I have seen peeps talk a need at safety); if you remember we have bigby, and then burnett coming off IR, and then Smith in the wings (whom Ted Thompson regretted so much for letting go (even woodson spoke up)), and we have peprah and collins as starters (how many freaking potential starters at safety do we need?
- Cornerback is another story - Do we want bell or bush or underweight...mean underwood to play corner against our opponents ... err is bell still on our team? We might not need a starter but if there is a dude on the board that can play ball then by all means.
- RB - ok jackson and kuhn arnt starters; If grant comes back full then we have grant and starks and we all know how much we enjoyed starks on the field. IMO I wouldnt take a dude this time. But I dont know how grants status is.
- WR - ya Id grab a nice tall dude. In the later rounds. If jones stays that somewhere real late
- TE - no more freaking cant catch TEs ... stick with finley and like crabtree and be done with it.
- FB - err we are probably going to boot hall; so definately not.
- Linebacker - tough one; I hear alot of peeps talking about our ROLB position - IMO we were much worse off last preseason with jones as our starter and Ted Thompson didnt even flinch at having him be that. Now we have jones/walden/zombo all with starter potential.
I just dont see it - but wouldnt be surprised if there was a good pick on the board.
- Oline - LT is a main concern - I dont know the guards that well so cant comment on them. Center and RT seem set; unless they plan on moving bulaga and need someone to cover the RT.

k Im done

"Dulak" wrote:

D-line, Neal. I would add him.

Safety, we also have Derrick Martin comming off IR. He was in line before Peprah but hurt his knee in the Washington game. Peprah was actually 3rd string. Not even counting Bigby.

CB, We also have Clark on IR from preseason along with Bell. He is kind of a tweener CB/Safety. But he is still on the team for now. At minimum, Bell would be ahead of Underwood and Lee on the depth chart. I don't know enough about Clark to make any claims about him.

TE, Quarless dropped 2 passes. For a lower % of drops than most of the WRs. (Yes, it is a little subjective) For a rookie TE, he was pretty good. He was no Finley, but who is.

O-line, Bulaga is a natural LT. He might be better off over there. I would believe if they needed both, he would play LT and Lang who did a fairly credible job there in the Cowboy game in '09 would take RT. Sitton and Wells are pretty solid to great. Leaving Colledge as the consistently mediocre one.

I personally hope but doubt we get Gabe Carimi. He is a battler. He would have to slip a couple spots, but that has happened before.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
beast
13 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

You're not going to give him a chance to build his strength? There have been a lot of players in the NFL who built themselves up over a year or two and began pretty good. Kampman and Jenkins are two that quickly come to mind.

"beast" wrote:

He's on the team so he has his chance. I'm just saying I think it's a long shot. His strength problem has more to do with his very poor techniques than it does with his weight room strength.

He keeps his elbows out when he's punching/extends his arms that means he's getting power from just his arms, that's not enough power to hold back a good NFL player. Most guys keep their elbows in which get power in punches not only from the arms but also from the chest muscles which are much larger than arm muscles. And that can slow down an NFL player.

Newhouse also has poor techniques with his legs which hurts power. As he's gotten used to moving more east/west as a heavy OT in college making sure no one goes around him, but as Barbre and Newhouse have shown when you do that , that's when the other guy bull rusher and knocks you to your butt....

You can improve techniques but it's a lot easy said than done. Once your muscles get used to a technique sometimes it's very hard to impossible to change when you're talking about only having a split second to react to the guy lined up across from you.

I wish him well but I think he's got a long uphill battle in front of him.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago

TE, Quarless dropped 2 passes. For a lower % of drops than most of the WRs. (Yes, it is a little subjective) For a rookie TE, he was pretty good. He was no Finley, but who is.

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

Only 2 passes? ... that seems like it's wrong.

I guess that's not counting the pass from Flynn where he tripped and fell when he was wide open with a good pass. Or all the passes he dropped in the playoffs. Like late in the Bears game they where focusing on the outside and Rodgers throw a couple on the inside and he dropped them.

Finley didn't do much he's rookie season ether. I think if you look at just their rookies season and forget about what Finley has done since his rookie season Quarless might be looking better in that comparison. Of course Finley has gotten much better since his rookie season, we'll see if Quarless can as well.

He can get open very well, he just needs to finish it off by catching passes better.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago

"beast" wrote:

"wpr" wrote:

He's on the team so he has his chance. I'm just saying I think it's a long shot. His strength problem has more to do with his very poor techniques than it does with his weight room strength.

He keeps his elbows out when he's punching/extends his arms that means he's getting power from just his arms, that's not enough power to hold back a good NFL player. Most guys keep their elbows in which get power in punches not only from the arms but also from the chest muscles which are much larger than arm muscles. And that can slow down an NFL player.

Newhouse also has poor techniques with his legs which hurts power. As he's gotten used to moving more east/west as a heavy OT in college making sure no one goes around him, but as Barbre and Newhouse have shown when you do that , that's when the other guy bull rusher and knocks you to your butt....

You can improve techniques but it's a lot easy said than done. Once your muscles get used to a technique sometimes it's very hard to impossible to change when you're talking about only having a split second to react to the guy lined up across from you.

I wish him well but I think he's got a long uphill battle in front of him.

"beast" wrote:

Ahh poor technique is entirely different than not being strong enough. But like you said players have overcome poor tech before. With proper coaching... well we will see.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Team Needs

G, DE, OLB

Incomplete. I'd say OT, DB, and Returner as well, although you can package the DB/Returner together. I'm also guessing Ted Thompson drafts a WR. You can never have too many of those.

Of our FAs, the one I absolutely do not want to lose is Cullen Jenkins. When healthy, he's elite.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (15h) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (15h) : *without
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (15h) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (16h) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (16h) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22h) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (23h) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.