wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

link 
Green Bay Running back Brandon Jackson is challenging himself to have a strong second half of the season for the Green Bay Packers.

The question is whether he'll get any support, beyond backup John Kuhn, from two complete unknowns in the running for the third-string job.

Rookie James Starks practiced Monday, his first real session since he hurt his hamstring just before training camp started. The injury was another major setback for the sixth-round pick from Buffalo, who missed his entire senior season after needing shoulder surgery in August 2009.

The last time Starks played in a game was Jan. 3, 2009 in the International Bowl.

"It feels a lot longer. I've been out for a while," Starks said Monday. "I'm just getting back into things, getting back gradually. I started getting more comfortable and feeling like myself again."

After sitting out all of camp, Starks spent the first six weeks of the season on the physically unable to perform list. After that, the Packers coaches gave him another three weeks off and then activated him. He then still had the bye week off before finally practicing for the first time.

The Packers have shown how much they believe in the potential of Starks by being remarkably patient. They've always had the option of just shelving Starks on injured reserve for the year.

"I wasn't really worried. I always looked at things in a positive light," Starks said. "If I was placed on injured reserve, that was time to get better. I would have used it as a tool to help myself."

Instead, Starks said the hamstring gradually got better.

"And I feel you've got to learn to play with injuries anyway," Starks said. "About the time I was off PUP, it was just enough time to really feel good and start picking up the tempo."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Starks looked "dang good" in practice. The 6-foot-2, 218-pound back set Buffalo's single-season rushing record with 1,333 yards in 2008, and the Packers hope to recapture that ability at some point.

"He's a big, physical, athletic runner. He's got a lot to learn," McCarthy said. "He needs the details of the little work, the little things that you get into the team periods. I think we had 24 plays of the opponent team, and he may have ran the ball on 18 of them, and that's exactly what he needs, because that's what he missed. He missed a big part of the spring, he missed all of training camp. He's missed a lot of football."

But McCarthy also said the Packers were through with the evaluation process of Starks. Now that he's on the 53-man roster, Starks' next goal it to crack the active 45 on game day.

"He's competing to play," McCarthy said. "In our Tuesday meetings, we stack the board, how you get from 53 to 45, this player is competing against that player. Special teams is usually the tiebreaker. He needs to compete to get up on the field on Sundays."

That means Starks is competing with Dimitri Nance, a 5-10, 219-pound rookie out of Arizona State who was picked up off Atlanta's practice squad after starter Ryan Grant was lost for the year in Week 1. In 11 starts for the Sun Devils in 2009, he led the team in rushing with 795 yards on 188 carries (4.2 average) and had six touchdowns.

While Starks took his snaps with the scout team Monday during the portion of practice open to the media, Nance ran a lot of plays with the regular offense. He wasn't on the scout team at all.

Nance said Monday he's got a better grasp on the offense since he joined the Packers in mid-September. What he hasn't had are a lot of chances. In the six games in which he's been active, he has only six carries for 11 yards.

The sentiment among a few players is that the Packers are in fact still looking at Starks. Nance hopes he has earned the trust of the coaches to give him more of an opportunity.

"I am still just grinding, to be ready whenever they call my name," Nance said. "I'm just going to keep pushing."

Nance described his running style as quick and powerful, with the ability to be a little elusive by breaking arm tackles.

Running backs coach Edgar Bennett stresses many responsibilities for his backs. Besides pass protection - they must do their share - they must be secure with the football.

Nance said he's not a fumbler.

"My whole life I've been pretty good with ball security," Nance said. "My junior year I tore a ligament in my thumb and I fumbled the ball a lot. I had a little cast on it. I tried to carry in my left hand but sometimes I would switch over."

Basically, the Packers don't know what they have in Starks or Nance until they get some playing time.

For now, Jackson has emerged as nothing short of a reliable, effort back. He has 460 yards on 108 carries (4.3 average). He managed to survive the first nine games without getting hurt, an accomplishment for any player given the Packers' luck with injuries this season.

But even he needed the bye.

"I got a lot of rest. I needed that. I feel fresh and ready to roll," Jackson said.

A goal-oriented player, Jackson wants to build upon his 51.1 yards per game average, which ranks 29th in the NFL.

"I feel like these last seven games, I really do need to pick it up and take my game to the next level," Jackson said. "I feel like I'm getting there.

"I feel like I've been doing good enough to win, but for me personally, I need to do more, to get those 100-yard games. That's what I am looking for now, and more big, explosive plays."

UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago
Competition is a good thing. It's when we're scrapping for players (which is where we were earlier in the season) that we need to start worrying.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago
I was hoping this story would have a little more insight into the battle for positions 2-4. It seems to more or less state what is already generally known.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I didn't want to diss the article you posted, WPR, but when you said it, it made it ok. 😉
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I didn't want to diss the article you posted, WPR, but when you said it, it made it ok. ;)

"zombieslayer" wrote:

It's all good. Unlike pack93 and zero I don't mind it if someone fires on me every once in a while. :blackeye: (mandatory icon to show I am kidding.)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

It's all good. Unlike pack93 and zero I don't mind it if someone fires on me every once in a while. :blackeye: (mandatory icon to show I am kidding.)

"wpr" wrote:

lol yeah Shawn and I punch holes in walls when someone fires on us, although I think we're guilty of firing upon each other more than others do. lol

I think Nance is going to be inactive and we'll get to see Starks this week. Kind of catches me off guard that Mike would say he looks "dang good". I don't think he's usually complimentary until after he sees a player produce in the game. Maybe Starks is lacking confidence and that's why it was said?
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago

I think Nance is going to be inactive and we'll get to see Starks this week. Kind of catches me off guard that Mike would say he looks "dang good". I don't think he's usually complimentary until after he sees a player produce in the game. Maybe Starks is lacking confidence and that's why it was said?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I found that a very interesting comment as well. good catch.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

lol yeah Shawn and I punch holes in walls when someone fires on us, although I think we're guilty of firing upon each other more than others do. lol

"wpr" wrote:

There hasn't been a single thing you have ever said that is more right than rain than this statement. Freaking clash time after time... lol.

Nance hasn't impacted special teams nor the offense.. disappointing so to speak to date.

So if Starks can spark us in any fashion.. I can buy him being active over Nance.

I have been trying to understand why Nance hasn't gotten more ops.. yet he is being held onto so tightly.. we plucked him off a practice squad.. we only had to carry him for 3 weeks.. they must see something in the kid.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Maybe Nance is a dang good runner, but has fumbling problems and we're trying to get that out of him before putting him on the field. Not saying that's the problem, but trying to think of reasons we never see him, yet we're still hanging on to him.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago

Nance hasn't impacted special teams nor the offense.. disappointing so to speak to date.

So if Starks can spark us in any fashion.. I can buy him being active over Nance.

I have been trying to understand why Nance hasn't gotten more ops.. yet he is being held onto so tightly.. we plucked him off a practice squad.. we only had to carry him for 3 weeks.. they must see something in the kid.

"pack93z" wrote:

I have been surprised by the attraction for Nance as well. I figure he must be the safety net if Starks is a flop or something.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (18h) : rude
Mucky Tundra (18h) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
53m / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.