Greg C.
14 years ago

Based on his definition of a prospect, I think he got the correct ten guys. However, I would argue Pat Lee and Desmond Bishop are still very much a prospect in terms of football standards.

With that said, I'd make a list that would look like this

1. Jermichael Finley
2. B.J. Raji
3. Clay Matthews
4. Byran Bulaga
5. Josh Sitton
6. T.J. Lang
7. Morgan Burnett
8. Brad Jones
9. Desmond Bishop
10. Patrick Lee

"porky88" wrote:

I can see Finley ahead of Matthews, but not Raji ahead of Matthews. Raji got plenty of playing time last year, and I don't recall a lot of great moments from him.

I don't have a problem with Bishop and Lee replacing Nelson and Neal, as we are getting into highly speculative territory by the time we get to the end of the list. I guess I would pick Lee over Neal, but Nelson over Bishop. So I end up with this:

1. Clay Matthews
2. Jermichael Finley
3. Josh Sitton
4. B.J. Raji
5. Byran Bulaga
6. T.J. Lang
7. Morgan Burnett
8. Brad Jones
9. Jordy Nelson
10. Patrick Lee

Gotta love the offseason.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Actually, Detlev, the truth is I simply have the kindness to call you out in venues other than this forum. 😉
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
Matthews is a great player, but his upside is more limited in my view. Great pass rushers have a repertoire of moves and Matthews doesn't have that. He's more like the engergizer bunny. He just keeps going and going and going. Eventually he'll get to the QB, but he's not an over power presence.

Raji is very much a work in progress, but there is a ton of upside. I can't understate how rare it is for a nose tackle to have the ability to rush the passer. He has that. If he puts it together, he could be a very very good player that will anchor the defensive line for years to come.

Again, both great, but I feel like Finley and Raji have more potential than Matthews when comparing those three.
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Matthews is a great player, but his upside is more limited in my view. Great pass rushers have a repertoire of moves and Matthews doesn't have that. He's more like the engergizer bunny. He just keeps going and going and going. Eventually he'll get to the QB, but he's not an over power presence.

Raji is very much a work in progress, but there is a ton of upside. I can't understate how rare it is for a nose tackle to have the ability to rush the passer. He has that. If he puts it together, he could be a very very good player that will anchor the defensive line for years to come.

Again, both great, but I feel like Finley and Raji have more potential than Matthews when comparing those three.

"porky88" wrote:

+1.
Greg C.
14 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

But usually it takes a few years for a pass rusher to develop a repertoire of moves that work in the NFL. What makes you think that Matthews won't do that? If he got ten sacks on energy and raw talent, he should do even better when he improves his technique.
blank
beast
14 years ago

I know it isn't a glory position.. but I think they way under-rated Sitton in that ranking.. personally, IMO... very well might have been our best overall lineman last season.

"pack93z" wrote:

I agree, I think the writer under rated Sitton, Lang and Neal because of their positions/roles aren't as glories positions...

But very good find as far as the articles :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

But usually it takes a few years for a pass rusher to develop a repertoire of moves that work in the NFL. What makes you think that Matthews won't do that? If he got ten sacks on energy and raw talent, he should do even better when he improves his technique.

"porky88" wrote:

I would never say never, but he doesn't have the skill set of a Demarcus Ware. He's not that powerful. He has to rely on his motor and craft to get after the QB more than someone with a more equipped skill set. Again, nothing wrong with that. Matthews could have a great career, but I don't think he's the type of player that will ever make other people look better around him. I think that about Raji and Finley.
Pack93z
14 years ago

"porky88" wrote:

"Greg C." wrote:

I would never say never, but he doesn't have the skill set of a Demarcus Ware. He's not that powerful. He has to rely on his motor and craft to get after the QB more than someone with a more equipped skill set. Again, nothing wrong with that. Matthews could have a great career, but I don't think he's the type of player that will ever make other people look better around him. I think that about Raji and Finley.

"porky88" wrote:

http://www.packershome.com/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=8491/highlight=Ware+Matthews.html 
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Greg C.
14 years ago
If you were to ask a group of NFL scouts who they would take if they had a do-over of the '09 draft--Raji or Matthews--I wonder which one most of them would take? My money would be on Matthews, because pass rushers are at such a premium in this league, and for Matthews to be a real pass rushing threat as a rookie was really remarkable.

There is one guy I can think of who has made a pretty impressive career for himself as a pass rusher based on speed and relentlessness: Dwight Freeney.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

There is one guy I can think of who has made a pretty impressive career for himself as a pass rusher based on speed and relentlessness: Dwight Freeney.

"Greg C." wrote:

NO doubt.. I just hope that Matthews continues to grow.. as it stands at the moments he lacks a toolbox of techniques to keep tackles off balance.

KGB comes to mind.. guy had a nice couple year run based really on one move.. speed.. for me.. I want to see Matthews become a more complete player than that..

Early success can sometimes stunt the growth based on learned success.. I want him to develop a more complete game where he can become an elite pass rusher in this league.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (59m) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (3h) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
25m / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.