DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Actually, I'm not really concerned about Jolly because with no cap pending he will only qualify for RFA. Pickett is the guy to lock up right now with the extra cap money for 09.

Collins, Colledge, Spitz, Jolly may all see one year deals next season. But Uncle Ted needs to get off his ass and lock somebody down and spend that remainder cap. Not spending it is unacceptable.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

A certain percentage of season tickets should go to a lottery for only those living outside of Wisconsin. There isn't anything fair about how they do things now. I'd pay double the listed price for one season of tickets that some lucky person inherited.

"DakotaT" wrote:

This I agree with.. that there are better ways to divide up whom gets the tickets..

On the ticket prices, I guarantee there is lots of thought and careful migration of increases in ticket prices in regards to the Packers. It is a publicly held company, owned by the people. And increasing ticket prices just to increase the bottom line isn't going to go over well.

And, furthermore.. if the base ticket prices rise, you think your scalped tickets won't?

We have a good problem going for the most part.. and I am still years away from getting my season tickets.. more so for my children than me.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago
What cap?

The cap is no longer relevant, and it never really was all that relevant when you factor in the various machinations of many teams.

Those numbers I posted were the actual cash outlays (salary cap thread) NOT the salary cap. We have had a 50 million dollar disparity between us and the top spending teams while under the auspices of a salary cap. There is no cap in what we are talking about here, which is the retention of our existing players, coupled with remaining financially competitive under the new economic paradigm which will exist going forward.

Just because some teams might opt to reduce their payroll under the new system---That doesn't mean that they will be competitive---It MIGHT, but all things being equal, you gotta HAVE the money to PAY the money.

We are talking about the meat and potato part of a small market publicly owned team. That 94 mil salary and 4 mil profit is really the only numbers needed to figure out the problem. The cap number means nothing. The 240 whatever gross revenue means nothing. The bottom line is what matters. Some have pointed out the nature of the ownership, and how that would preclude what I and (one) other are advocating.

"Tightwad Ted" is under a constraint that no other GM is. His boss is under the same one. The NUMBER ONE responsibility of those gentlemen is a FIDUCIARY one. That team canot lose money. They came CLOSE last year, with (almost) the lowest payroll in the league.

A Jerry Jones can hit and miss. He can have OODLES of dead money...

He can have a 140 mil + actual payroll...Not only due to revenues, but it's his own play money.

Not a luxury for a Mark Murphy and co. They are the ones in charge of "franchise husbandry" of the Green Bay Packers.

Any perceived responsibilities to the fanbase are infinitesimal in comparison, public statements to the contrary notwithstanding...

They do a great job of making everyone think they own that team, but the fact is...They are nowhere near being owned in any real sense by the citizens or the fans, including the stockholders.

If we want to talk about who owns what...We should probably change the team name to the Green Bay Amorphous owners. Everyone owns nothing, and the GD FO better not screw anything up too bad financially, or the ghosts are gonna get 'em. :thumbleft:

That is just the reality of it.
Pack93z
14 years ago

What cap?

The cap is no longer relevant, and it never really was all that relevant when you factor in the various machinations of many teams.

"dfosterf" wrote:

I know this might sound a little odd, but an uncapped life in the NFL I don't think is going to be a long term situation.

Either side is that boneheaded to realize that the cap has driven this league to heights unthinkable 25 to 30 years ago.. it is the best model in sports for all parties.. and they know it.

Now the last CBA with the record increases in Cap requirements is at the heart of the issue, coupled with some adjustments desired int he game day revenues in which we have been speaking about. Along with the spiraling contracts of rookies coming into the league.

The Jones of the world want to keep their revenues from the stadium and ticket sales.. where as they are now spread across the entire ownership base. That will put the pressure back upon the teams to take care of their own fan base and keep them coming to the parks.

I know the players are saying once there is no cap.. it isn't coming back.. that type of talk is nonsense. That will fold in a hurry.. and both sides know it. Why do you think the players are pushing for talks now.. because at least currently they have the threat of such a proclamation.

Now.. onto next season.. if the CBA is not redone.. like Dakota said, there is no issue next season. But I hate to see what happens if we go uncapped and then try to enforce a cap again with teams having overages all around.. well probably only one in Big D.

Personally, I think the world of sports is going to changes in the next couple of season with the economy shifting and almost every operation needs to rethink how they do business.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

IMO: Job 1 of Packers and its "ownership": put together a consistent championship contender for the millions of Packer fans out there. Not to provide "affordable outdoor entertainment" for 70 thousand or so attendees at 8-10 games/year. If being a championship contender requires competing with those deep pocket owners, it makes no sense to me that the team is leaving all that revenue unrealized.

Consider a ten-buck increase per ticket. $10 x 72,500 seats x 8 games. That's a cool $5.8 million bucks per year foregone. A twenty-buck increase is 11.6 million missed.

If I were a rich bastard owner (see Jones, Jerry; Snyder, Dan; et al), I'd object the heck out of "sharing revenue" with people who leave 5.8 - 11.6 million unrealized every year.

And if I were a public funding agency (ack, choke, vomit), I'd sure as heck not be paying public funds to enterprises that are squandering multi-million dollar opporutunities every year.

Oh, it's nice to brag about all those years of sellouts and a zillion-person waiting list. But it's damn bad economics. Having a waiting list makes sense -- it's a cushion against downturns, bad seasons,etc. But a waiting list that takes a generation or more to move to the top of the list? That's just dumb.

p.s. Nice butts, wpr.

"Wade" wrote:

Wade you have miscalculated. GB requires season ticket holders to pay full price for the preseason games as well. One game for Green package and one game for the Gold package. It doesn't matter to them that the game is more of a minor league game than a real NFL game. It costs the same.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I think the millions saved with having a rookie standardized wage that will go to the veterans will help things.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
What's the waiting list now? 50,000? That's 50,000 more people who are willing to pay the face value of tickets right now than are getting them. And between those 50,000 and the 72,500 who now get tickets, I'm betting that there are at least 80,000 who are willing to pay a hefty premium over today's face value.

As for the other sales (jerseys, whatnot, fanfest, etc). MOST OF THOSE ARE SOLD TO PEOPLE WHO CANT GET INTO THE STADIUM ON GAME DAY now. Those people who bought those "shares" when they had the "public offering" a few years ago. Lots of those people DONT GO TO GAMES EITHER.

I was in my chiropractor's office yesterday reading a magazine story about Monte Carlo. Yeah, I've always dreamed of going to Monte Carlo, hobnobbing with the rich and shameless on their yachts and watching the grand prix with supermodels in string bikinis. But it ain't ever going to happen no matter what. But you know what, I'm still going to read stories about it. I'm still going to watch the grand prix on TV.

If I invest in a company, profit or non-profit, I want that company to pursue its prime objective. If it's a profit-seeking company, that's getting as much profit as it can. If it's a not-for-profit, like the Packers, that's whatever the objective of the not-for-profit is, stopping cancer or helping the poor or whatever.

And IMO, the objective of the Green Bay Packers Football Organization should be to do whatever it can to put a team on the field that beats the crap out of the Cowgirls and the Vikings and the Bears and the Dolts and all the rest. A team that doesn't just look cool in Green and Gold and doesn't just play in The Shrine in front of the Elect and the Fortunate of Wisconsin 8-10 times a years. A team that contends for championships with regularity for the worldwide faithful of millions.

And if doing that means playing in a league with clubs owned by gazillionaires, it isn't good practice to leave millions of dollars on the table out of some vague notion of "public service" to the people of Wisconsin.

Yeah, you don't have to be the biggest spender to win in the NFL. I get that. But put it this way: if you're pursuing the prime objective of yours, whatever it is, and I offer you 6 million extra to do it, why in the world would you turn it down?

"Wade, you've just won the lottery. Come and get your check for $98 million."
"That's okay. Bill Polian gets by with just $92 million. Keep the extra $6 million to keep financing the Powerball lottery."

No. Effing. Way.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

IMO: Job 1 of Packers and its "ownership": put together a consistent championship contender for the millions of Packer fans out there. Not to provide "affordable outdoor entertainment" for 70 thousand or so attendees at 8-10 games/year. If being a championship contender requires competing with those deep pocket owners, it makes no sense to me that the team is leaving all that revenue unrealized.

Consider a ten-buck increase per ticket. $10 x 72,500 seats x 8 games. That's a cool $5.8 million bucks per year foregone. A twenty-buck increase is 11.6 million missed.

If I were a rich bastard owner (see Jones, Jerry; Snyder, Dan; et al), I'd object the heck out of "sharing revenue" with people who leave 5.8 - 11.6 million unrealized every year.

And if I were a public funding agency (ack, choke, vomit), I'd sure as heck not be paying public funds to enterprises that are squandering multi-million dollar opporutunities every year.

Oh, it's nice to brag about all those years of sellouts and a zillion-person waiting list. But it's damn bad economics. Having a waiting list makes sense -- it's a cushion against downturns, bad seasons,etc. But a waiting list that takes a generation or more to move to the top of the list? That's just dumb.

p.s. Nice butts, wpr.

"wpr" wrote:

Wade you have miscalculated. GB requires season ticket holders to pay full price for the preseason games as well. One game for Green package and one game for the Gold package. It doesn't matter to them that the game is more of a minor league game than a real NFL game. It costs the same.

"Wade" wrote:

Ah. But that means they (the Packers) are leaving more money on the table, not less, doesn't it?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
dfosterf
14 years ago
I do too, Zero. (The rookie thing, in case someone posted while I was typing)

The position that many of the player's agents, along with the NFLPA, has historically taken on that issue has been absolutely ridiculous.

I think that was due in large part because Gene Upshaw (rip) was an exceptional bullshit artist.

Even that bs will not stand anymore, imo. A positive benefit of the information age. We probably know more about caps, the CBA, etc. than half the agents did 15 years ago. The public has spoken, and the NFLPA is going to have to cave on that one. Hopefully it will assist in negating some of the greed of the players, but then you gotta start looking a baseball, which will only just make you nervous again.

To Wade-- I spent a Christmas on the Riv.<--- not hob-knobbin' --jarheadin'

Female hairy armpit epicenter of the planet.

I have been all through France, and we know about that reputation, but I'm tellin' ya-- It is those Monte Carlo / Monaco / Nice corridor hairy armpit girls that did the whole country in, reputation-wise... I'm just sayin' lol
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
I've a question for all you parents out there.

Do kids still play baseball/softball as much as they did when you were kids?

Here's why I ask: I'm with everyone else in hoping that the NFL never goes the way of MLB. I barely notice MLB anymore, and I used to know every player on every roster in the NL West between the days of Koufax/Drysdale and Sutton/Hershiser. And I can see myself doing the same with regard to the Packers did the NFL go that direction. I could care less about the Dodgers now. I could care less about the world series or batting averages or steroids or mvps or any of the rest. I could care less which MLB franchises are economically sound and which are on the brink of bankruptcy. I just care less.

If the NFL goes that way, I'll be pissed. But I'll find other things to do on Sunday afternoons in November just as I've found other thigns to do on Saturday afternoons in July. I'll be nostalgic, but I'll get over it.

On the other hand, I do care whether kids are still playing football on sandlots and in town parks. Not the kind of organized football with screaming parents and neat chalk lines, but the kinds of pickup games we used to play using wadded up jackets to show sidelines and endzones.

Just as I care about whether kids are still playing unorganized baseball out there on streets or in those same parks.

Hence my question: Has the decline in the value of MLB been accompanied by a falloff in kids playing baseball and softball? If the NFL fucks itself up, will that reduce how much kids play pickup games of football?
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (2h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (2h) : fuck
beast (3h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (3h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (3h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (3h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (3h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (3h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (3h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (4h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (5h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (5h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (5h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (5h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (5h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.