dfosterf
14 years ago

It would be a strategy of limited effectiveness. People forget that not only is there a salary cap, there is also a salary floor. I think it's around 87% of the salary cap (I'm sure Sir Foster knows the exact figure). Plus I believe teams are limited to how much money they can actually stockpile, at least from this source. To some degree the salary cap is "use it or lose it."

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

lol

Edit---

And for 09--- there is no rollover with fake LTBE's, etc... because there is NO CAP for '10---

hence, use it or lose it in '09
Graffin
14 years ago
Wasn't aware of the article, but after reading it, and more importantly Nonstop's response, feel a bit more educated. thanks
blank
dfosterf
14 years ago
I find it rather humorous that everyone assumes that the reason that the owners do not want to disclose financials is due to the negotiations between the owners and the players.

They have bigger fish to fry. The adversarial relationship between the owners and players is only two legs of the triad. The real fight is between large market and small market franchises.

The loss of automotive advertising revenue for the various networks, coupled with a significant drop in beer advertising revenue due to imbev purchasing budweiser has some of the NFL owners fearful about the future revenue stream that the TV coverage provides. They are crying wolf to any that will listen, and the large market teams would like nothing better than to eliminate and/or significantly reduce the shared revenue aspects of the business model. Their arguments are going to look far less persuasive to their fellow owners when those revenue disclosures are made.

They probably don't give a rat's ass if the NFLPA was made privy to the information, just as long as the Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns etc. of the NFL world cannot see it...Of course, that is impossible.

I suspect the Green Bay Packers would like nothing better than to have that information public, a very under-appreciated aspect...especially to some former football player turned writer that can see no further than the perceived advantage to his former fellow players.
Gravedigga
14 years ago
I don't give a rats ass what their books say, not one of these owners are losing money consistently. Also, if the Cowboys are "reporting" a 10 million dollar revenues, you an bet it is much higher. That is what accountants are for. To manipulate the books to say what you want them to say. Don't be a sucker and buy into it. There is a reason it costs a billion dollars to buy one of these franchises.
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
dfosterf
14 years ago
You might be interested to know that the Green Bay Packers have been "blamed" for more than making a profit.

One famous example is that Vince Lombardi cut a player for having the audacity to secure the services of an agent.

I have another one. The Green Bay Packers are cited by the NFLPA itself as being responsible, at least in part, for the creation of the union.

The issue?

Dirty jocks, socks and uniforms.

No bullshit.

NFLPA Website story 

The National Football League was organized in 1920, but the players had no representation until more than 35 years later. Free to do as they wished, the owners gave the players no benefits at all -- no health insurance, no life insurance, no pension, no minimum salary, no pay for pre-season games. Even worse--no protection for injured players.

The players started standing up for themselves in 1956. By one account, players for the Green Bay Packers asked the owners for clean jocks, socks and uniforms for two-a-day
workouts. The owners refused; the players organized

I think some of the players still have a grudge.

j/k
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Foster hit the nail on the head, though he may have actually understated the issue at hand. There are at least two other legs to the stool he failed to mention: the dispute between current players and former players, and the dispute between owners and former players. And all of this is tied into the forthcoming CBA.

Next time I'm on campus, I'll take more notes on the study conducted by my university and I'll let you guys know what I find out.

As to all the kudos from RaiderPride and others, I want to say that I am humbled and appreciative, but I must reiterate that I am but a lowly Padawan at the feet of the Master Foster. 😉
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago

Foster hit the nail on the head, though he may have actually understated the issue at hand. There are at least two other legs to the stool he failed to mention: the dispute between current players and former players, and the dispute between owners and former players. And all of this is tied into the forthcoming CBA.

Next time I'm on campus, I'll take more notes on the study conducted by my university and I'll let you guys know what I find out.

As to all the kudos from RaiderPride and others, I want to say that I am humbled and appreciative, but I must reiterate that I am but a lowly Padawan at the feet of the Master Foster. ;)

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Very kind words, Non...

I just rehash other folks stuff. You bring the great gift of insight and fresh perspective.

R.P. had it right the first time. He would...He's a very smart fella, also.
Gravedigga
14 years ago

You might be interested to know that the Green Bay Packers have been "blamed" for more than making a profit.

One famous example is that Vince Lombardi cut a player for having the audacity to secure the services of an agent.

I have another one. The Green Bay Packers are cited by the NFLPA itself as being responsible, at least in part, for the creation of the union.

The issue?

Dirty jocks, socks and uniforms.

No bullshit.

NFLPA Website story 

The National Football League was organized in 1920, but the players had no representation until more than 35 years later. Free to do as they wished, the owners gave the players no benefits at all -- no health insurance, no life insurance, no pension, no minimum salary, no pay for pre-season games. Even worse--no protection for injured players.

The players started standing up for themselves in 1956. By one account, players for the Green Bay Packers asked the owners for clean jocks, socks and uniforms for two-a-day
workouts. The owners refused; the players organized

"dfosterf" wrote:

I think some of the players still have a grudge.

j/k

wow, i didnt know Ted Thompson managed the packers back then
--------------------------------------------
UserPostedImage

A wise man once said
---------------------------------------------
You are weak, pathetic and immature..............I would have d
14 years ago
May I remind some of you that the Packers have been one of the better revenue teams since the remodel at Lambeau.

This SI guy calls the Packers small market but they have been in the upper half of teams in revenue.

As for Ted being a cheapskate
1) There were few quality free agents worth the money.
2) He has had to save money for the the 2006 draft class, Jennings, Spitz, Colledge, Hall, Jolly, etc.
3) Ted has always looked long term and has created a lot of competition for roster spots.

Another thing is return on investment. 20 million is not that much considering it is a billion dollar corporation. Investing 1 billion and making 20 million is only 2% on investment!!

If you invested a $1000 and only made $20 a year would you be happy?

The whole Packers organization's operating profit is only double Rodgers salary. After investment losses they only made 4 million or about what Brady Poppinga was paid last year.

Put it into perspective and it helps the owners points.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I made this exact point in another thread, CaliforniaCheez. Thanks for providing your insight on this issue. I wish people would get beyond the raw numbers ($4 million) and look at the meaning beyond those numbers (paltry profit). Your relating this profit figure to player salaries was awesomely illuminating. Keep it up!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (5h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (5h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (6h) : fuck
beast (6h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (6h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (7h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (7h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (7h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (7h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (7h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (8h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (8h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (9h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (9h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (9h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (9h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.