Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
9 Pages«<789
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline digsthepack  
#121 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:33:17 PM(UTC)
digsthepack

Applause Received: 7

Agreed, but it is not the norm. I do it all the time myself.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
Offline ILikeThePackers39  
#122 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:54:16 PM(UTC)
ILikeThePackers39

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
Zombie,

Ineptitude exists in every avenue of employment...particularly government, if I do say so myself....but you make a point based on the assumed ineptitude of the professional (Packers' coaches/scouts) and the assumed savant nature of a bunch of idiots (us fans) to make your point...which is in and of itself unfair.

I think it is safe to say that, barring complete ineptitude, pro coaches/scouts know a WHOLE lot more about that business than us.

Agreed.

But...

I'm using an extreme example to make a simple point - sometimes the layman is right and the "experts" are wrong.

I don't disagree - but unless I've seen a track record of incompetence (see: Matt Millen), I'm certainly not going to assume that I and the other message board folks know more.

At any rate, my point wasn't that people here (or anywhere) shouldn't lay out their opinions and discuss things - that's what these places are for. I'm simply amused at the certainty people seem to have that they know better than the professionals.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#123 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:02:30 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

Alright.. for the first two rounds of the draft.. before the Packers walk up the card with their selection, I think the folks on the board should post their picks and why they are choosing said player.

We archive the thread, and at the end of each season, revisit the thread and judge whether the Packers brass or individual posters have selected properly..

Think it would be interesting to see.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#124 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:14:24 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Alright.. for the first two rounds of the draft.. before the Packers walk up the card with their selection, I think the folks on the board should post their picks and why they are choosing said player.

We archive the thread, and at the end of each season, revisit the thread and judge whether the Packers brass or individual posters have selected properly..

Think it would be interesting to see.

You know what's funny?

You will see that it will be a mix of who wins. There will be some posters who will indeed pick better than the pros.

It's all statistics. There's only 1 TT. There may be a hundred people posting. So of course, Ted Thompson may get slammed. It would be hard for any GM to beat all a hundred people on a message board, so this isn't a knock on TT, just simple mathematical statistics.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline warhawk  
#125 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:56:38 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Applause Received: 215

It boils down to the same thing it always does. The ones working the hardest with their nose to the grindstone 24/7 are ALWAYS the one subjected to the most negativity by those who haven't put in a bead of sweat.

Anytime your DOING ANYTHING it's always open for somebody to say it aint' being done right. That came from my father and he coached over 250 college football games so I think he might just know a thing or two.
"The train is leaving the station."
Offline Pack93z  
#126 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:04:10 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

It boils down to the same thing it always does. The ones working the hardest with their nose to the grindstone 24/7 are ALWAYS the one subjected to the most negativity by those who haven't put in a bead of sweat.

Anytime your DOING ANYTHING it's always open for somebody to say it aint' being done right. That came from my father and he coached over 250 college football games so I think he might just know a thing or two.

Agreed.

Most logical level headed fans offer criticism and conjecture but understand that hindsight is almost always golden.

I feel a certain right as a fan to objectively criticize the management, coaching and players of this team. With that said, I revert again back to the previous statement, most logical level headed fans realize that not every move with be right, not every player chosen will succeed, and most of all not every non move in free agency is the GM's direct fault.

There are a ton of moving factors in every single transaction in the NFL.. nothing is absolute and no one will ever bat .1000.

But at the end of the day.. it sure is fun pretending they should. ;)
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed