You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<4567>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#76 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:43:43 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 937

Originally Posted by: " Go to Quoted Post
[strike]I'm clearly not referring to you if you were not the ones who were saying the coaches/players have to go/be benched.[/strike]
And frankly, I don't see why we can't disagree with such a drastically negative judgment on the players and coaches.

I have no problem with disagreeing upon opinions and judgment, but when the wand of "Doom and Gloom" gets cast upon the entire state of Wisconsin.. ya.. I probably will respond.

There are a hell of a lot more positives on this team than negatives.. we have depth and we are in every ballgame for the most part..

But challenges that go unchecked.. are ripe for the picking.. especially when improving any one of them, probably would result in a couple more win notched in the W column.

And if one has the opinion they have seen this before.. then so be it. But I disagree with the notion that it is the late 80's syndrome, back then under Harlan, we had no consistent plan for year to year management of the roster.. every spring it was like Madden.. what can we do this year.. no vision upon the next 3.

Infante was a decent coach.. but we were mighty thin in depth and made some critical errors in drafting.. back then, the draft was the only way to build a team.. if you missed there.. you paid for it year after year.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline longtimefan  
#77 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:55:38 PM(UTC)
longtimefan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 21

I'm perfectly calm, even a bit amused. The tolerance for mediocrity and error appears to be gaining its old foothold in GB again is all I'm saying. The coaching staff has the tolerance (check out Mike McCarthy's press conference: "I don't see a discipline problem") and some fans around here seem to also.

I saw too many instances of people having it even going back to the 70's; "all Bart needs is another year", "Lynn Dickey may not be able to run, but he's got a great arm", etc. Some defenders of the coaching efforts these last two games just took me down memory lane.

What do you think Lombardi's press conference would have sounded like had he been runnng the game last Sunday?

We lost to Brad Childress folks. It was that bad. Some here are saying that had Crosby made the field goal we wouldn't be having this conversation. Wrong. We had no business even having a crack at that field goal if the Vikes QB hadn't played so poorly. The truth is, the Pack made three picks, ran back a punt, and almost stole a game. Other than those picks and the punt TD; this game was a blowout.

Minnesota Vikings 28,
Green Bay Packers 14

Minnesota Vikings 24,
Green Bay Packers 20

Minnesota Vikings 35,
Green Bay Packers 13

Minnesota Vikings 31,
Green Bay Packers 21
Offline MassPackersFan  
#78 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:56:54 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Received: 4

I'm clearly not referring to you if you were not the ones who were saying the coaches/players have to go/be benched.
And frankly, I don't see why we can't disagree with such a drastically negative judgment on the players and coaches.

No one on this board said McCarthy should be fired. Not one person. LOL damn.

In my humble opinion, we are back to the days of Lindy Infante and Tom Braatz. Its time for this discussion to turn to the probability that we need to clean house and get a new GM and head coach, and that has nothng to do with the Favre Fiasco BTW. It has everything to do with the performance of the aforementioned individuala and their records. Ted Thompson and his west coast BS have been a disaster which didn't show itself last year but is now.

Trying to pinch nickles and hiring a coach who doesn't learn from week to week are killing us. Maybe Favre was right; we should be looking to Mooch to bail us out here.

Yeah. And by the way, SAME person I originally quoted before all of you others got defensive.
UserPostedImage
Offline MassPackersFan  
#79 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:57:22 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

DP
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#80 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:02:53 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 937

Yeah. And by the way, SAME person I originally quoted before all of you others got defensive.

You say defensive.. I say clarification.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline MassPackersFan  
#81 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:07:28 PM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

That works too. :lol:
UserPostedImage
Offline 4PackGirl  
#82 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 5:26:07 PM(UTC)
4PackGirl

Applause Given2: 150
Applause Received: 121

i understand completely where you're coming from iron - i truly agree that the penalties are INEXCUSABLE!!! but i'm not gonna allow the comparisons to infante go unchecked - that's just silly.

mm needs to light a fire under these guys asses & make them understand that this type of play is NOT acceptable in green bay - period. does that mean i think he's a bad coach? hell no!
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#83 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:21:45 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Something Pack93 said earlier in the season that i at the time dissagreed with.
That Mike McCarthy was too conservative this year. I have agreed with that for several weeks now. It seems he's playing not to win, but to not lose. At the end of the Viking game he should have been more aggressive to get a first down, instead of depending on a LONG FG attempt.
He seems to have lost that "pit bull" attitude.
If we screw up and lose this coming weekend, i think "Doom and Gloom" will pretty much have come true.
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#84 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:38:06 PM(UTC)
macbob

Applause Given: 253
Applause Received: 225

Coaches have these guys out there fighting hard every game. They're competitive--they just lost two games by a grand total of 4 points, and one of those two was the only remaining unbeaten team in the NFL. I thought the Pack played poorly, but they are only one play in both games from being 6-3.
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#85 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:50:09 PM(UTC)
macbob

That Mike McCarthy was too conservative this year. I have agreed with that for several weeks now. It seems he's playing not to win, but to not lose. At the end of the Viking game he should have been more aggressive to get a first down, instead of depending on a LONG FG attempt.
If we screw up and lose this coming weekend, i think "Doom and Gloom" will pretty much have come true.

I don't think McCarthy's changed his play calling that much from previous years. I think he's always been more conservative toward the end of the 2nd (passing on shots at the end zone with time still left on the clock and settling for a field goal attempt) and 4th (last year Pack would be ahead by 7 with 6 minutes left and they'd run 3 times trying to use up clock and punt, leaving 3 1/2 minutes left). I thought the end of the Vikings game was classic McCarthy, and if Crosby had hit the field goal we'd be singing his praises instead of cursing him.
UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#86 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:57:19 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 110
Applause Received: 197

One thing I didn't understand is why not go for 2? We go up 26-21, kick a field goal putting us up by 6 and still giving the Vikings some time to score. Yes, you should be able to rely on your defense, but look what happened. I mean worst case scenario, you go for 2, you miss and you lose by 2 points instead of 1 after the Vikings score. Now, you go for 2...get in, go up 28-21. Vikings score, go into overtime and hope for the best.
I am not worried. I read most posts in this topic, some need to relax.
UserPostedImage
Offline bozz_2006  
#87 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:11:00 PM(UTC)
bozz_2006

Applause Given: 19
Applause Received: 11

need to relax.

no argument there.
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#88 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:17:30 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

I don't think McCarthy's changed his play calling that much from previous years. I think he's always been more conservative toward the end of the 2nd (passing on shots at the end zone with time still left on the clock and settling for a field goal attempt) and 4th (last year Pack would be ahead by 7 with 6 minutes left and they'd run 3 times trying to use up clock and punt, leaving 3 1/2 minutes left). I thought the end of the Vikings game was classic McCarthy, and if Crosby had hit the field goal we'd be singing his praises instead of cursing him.

I'm not cursing Crosby. Just dissapointed in him. It was in a dome, under perfect conditions. He just plain missed. And THAT is what a kicker is paid for, to make the big kick when it counts the most. Had it been outside in bad weather, you can understand the miss. But in those conditions you should make it.
Oh well....can't change it now.
We may end up at the end of the season feeling even worse about it if it ends up costing us a playoff spot.
We were lucky to be in a position to win the game as bad as we played.
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#89 Posted : Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:42:12 PM(UTC)
macbob

We were lucky to be in a position to win the game as bad as we played.

Yeah, the Packers looked pretty bad in the third down 21-10. But I don't know that I'd say they were lucky--the Packers have returned more than one interception and punt for TDs this year, and that's not luck. But it did put a lot of pressure on our playmakers to make those plays--if either one was tackled before the goal line, I don't know that we'd have scored a TD either time.
UserPostedImage
Offline tromadz  
#90 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:02:14 AM(UTC)
tromadz

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 34

Outcoached?

Childress was 0-5 vs. the Packers coming into that game.

Keep reaching.