porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 years ago
In the near 100-year rivalry between Green Bay and Chicago, there hasn’t been an outcome as one-sided as the 55-14 drubbing the Packers put on the Bears Sunday night.

The Packers deserve credit for coming out of their bye re-energized and prepared. However, Sunday night was more about Chicago than the green and gold. Blowouts aren’t new to the rivalry, but the Bears were saying “uncle” midway through the second quarter. They were undisciplined, committing 11 penalties for 163 yards. Their stoic response to Green Bay moving Clay Matthews to inside linebacker was frustrating to watch. Simply put, their sorry excuse of an effort made them unworthy of playing at Lambeau Field.

Football is better when its greatest rivalry means something. The Bears aren’t holding up their end of the bargain, and this could be the revelation the McCaskey family needed to clean house.

Chicago’s performance should also give Packers fans perspective. Fans have a love or hate relationship regarding coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson.

Nowhere does the hate come out more than during free agency, when fans are watching other teams attempt to get better by spending on outside talent. The Bears have been among the most active teams over the last several off-seasons, a fact highlighted by NBC’s telecast of the game. The Packers usually sit still, accepting that their improvements will come from within. The approach tests the patience of many fans, I included, but the Packers have never suffered an embarrassment like the one Chicago did Sunday night with Thompson and McCarthy at the helm. With both of them signing long-term extensions this season, they aren’t likely to anytime soon.

Sure, Green Bay has had its share of poor performances. Last Thanksgiving in Detroit immediately comes to mind, yet the Packers always put forth an effort. The game plan or execution might be off, but the effort is always there.

You can always count on them to compete on Sundays whether they miss the playoffs, bow out early, or win the Super Bowl.

Bears fans don’t have the luxury of feeling the same way.

Turning Point

On the first play of the second quarter, Rodgers hit receiver Jordy Nelson for a 73-yard touchdown pass. Chicago’s secondary was completely out-of-sync on the play. Nelson ran cleanly by cornerback Tim Jennings, who was playing cover two. The other corner was in man. Jennings looks at fault, but the Bears did check their coverage prior to the snap. Jennings appeared to have gotten the call, while the safeties did not. Blame them for missing the call.

Stud of the Game

Despite not playing a vast majority of the second half, Rodgers finished the game with 6 touchdowns passes and 315 passing yards. Most quarterbacks, notably Denver’s Peyton Manning, would stay in the game until midway through the fourth quarter and attempt to inflate their stats. Rodgers wisely bowed out midway through the third.

Play of the Game

Facing third-and-10 with 19 seconds remaining in the first half, Rodgers lofted a throw to the left side of the end zone, where receiver Randall Cobb made a spectacular one-handed grab. With that pass, Rodgers became just the second player in NFL history (Oakland’s Daryl Lamonica in 1969) to throw for six scores in the first half. The touchdown was also Cobb’s 10th of the season.

Looking Ahead

The Packers need to keep pace with Detroit in the NFC North, but if the Lions were to win the division, then Green Bay needs to qualify as a wild card. A win over Philadelphia, who is also in the thick of the playoff chase, is crucial if Green Bay is to qualify for the postseason.

The Eagles don’t have a good secondary, so you can expect the Packers to attack them through the air, and have success doing so. Protection could be an issue, as Philadelphia’s front is sneaky athletic. They’ll give Rodgers a plethora of different looks.

The defense faces a challenge matching up with Philadelphia’s high-octane offense. There might be enough pieces in the secondary to slow down the pass, but Philadelphia’s dynamic running game will give the front seven problems.

Expect Matthews to continue to play inside during running situations. He played well against the Bears, but Chicago was never in position to establish the run, so it’s still up in the air as to whether he has the discipline to read coverage and the athleticism to play in space.

Please visit Row12.com  for weekly articles done by myself on college and fantasy football. We also have a great staff of writers that covers every major sport.
Zero2Cool
9 years ago
Turning Point was the coin toss. The Bears only success came at that point and it was downhill from there! Bahwhwhahaha.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
As usual I enjoy your perspective.

Turning point was Mike having confidence in his team to go for it on 4th and goal from the 1 with 6 + min to go in the first quarter. That set the tone for the rest of the game. At that point no one knew the Bears were going to fold their tents and walk away. At that point it was still possible for the Bears to play like they did in the first half of their first meeting this year.

As for the comments about free agents. You are selling Uncle Ted short. It is assumed by many that if he partakes in the FA market he will have the same kind of results that other teams do. I contend that he is smarter than the average GM. If he pushed for more FAs he would be able to select ones who actually make solid contributions to the team.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (4h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (8h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (9h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (11h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (11h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (12h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.