Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#16 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 8:45:06 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,117

When you have someone like James Starks fresh, why would pound the hell out of Eddie Lacy 20-25 times a game? Keep him between 15-20 while rotating James Starks. Then you can even toss in DuJuan Harris a spell or two.

RB's just aren't as strong as they used to be to handle the 350-400 carries a season.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 7/19/2014(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#17 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 8:49:38 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 150
Applause Received: 244

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Read this from NFL.com. Lacy, himself, will not evoke strong confidence that he loves football when you're done reading.

It is always amazing how much of a disconnect there is sometimes between perception and reality.


http://www.nfl.com/news/...-my-passion-for-football

Heck, some won't read it just because I posted the link...Here is what he had to say when he was telling about scouts questioning his passion for the game from NFL.com

Asked if football has ever brought him true joy, Lacy replied, "It has its moments, I guess you could say. It was a lot better for me (in Gretna, La.), though. Football is not what it was to me in high school now."

EDIT: Here's some more alarming stuff regarding Lacy from NationalFootballPost.com:

*Numerous front office men say there were not surprised to see Eddie Lacy fall to the Packers at the end of the second round. The more NFL teams looked at him, the more faults they saw. Lacy was knocked for poor work habits, lack of speed, durability concerns, a limited body of work and running style.


I remember reading all of this leading up to that draft. Lacy is a broken man (child) from Hurricane Katrina. It stole everything from him, including his love for football. Notice he mentions high school football in Louisiana...he played like 2 years in Texas and didn't even care for it then. That storm has ruined a part of him.

With that said, watching him play his first year for the Packers and how he interacts with his fans through Twitter makes me think he has changed. Maybe not a lot, but there is a glimpse of passion that he shows.
UserPostedImage
Offline uffda udfa  
#18 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 11:25:59 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 146

He may have changed, Yerko... I didn't say he was any of the things highlighted above. However, it is a big concern where his attitude may take him. I don't know that I'm confident he'll continue to incline because it doesn't sound like he's the type of guy who wants it bad enough. He did run hard his rookie season. I thought we got much more than I expected from him, especially after Aaron went down.

It is a bit of a pattern that Ted Thompson will take these once highly touted guys who are falling in the draft and make them Packers. Worthy, Lacy, Rodgers, Bulaga, Bradford, Franklin, etc. Oftentimes when a guy is sliding, and it's not an off the field type situation thing like with a Harvin or a Moss there's good reason for it...they aren't really that good when looked at closely long enough. Thank goodness, Aaron defied all that and was more of a "nobody needed a QB" type of a fall situation. Hopefully, Eddie will prove to be a miss by the NFL community and a hit by TT.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
Offline sschind  
#19 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 11:29:21 AM(UTC)
sschind

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/5/2013(UTC)
Location: SE WISCONSIN

Applause Given: 117
Applause Received: 417

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
When you have someone like James Starks fresh, why would pound the hell out of Eddie Lacy 20-25 times a game? Keep him between 15-20 while rotating James Starks. Then you can even toss in DuJuan Harris a spell or two.

RB's just aren't as strong as they used to be to handle the 350-400 carries a season.


I agree 100% but I'm not sure Mike McCarthy does. As far back as I can remember it seems the Packers have always been a 1 back team when that #1 back is healthy. They say different but they run the guy into the dirt anyway. In their defense though, as long as running backs are being perceived as a dime a dozen and you have a guy like Starks who you think can step in and fill the void why not run the #1 until he drops and simply plug the next guy in. I don't agree but it is a way of thinking.

Besides, Fantasy people want to be able to count on Lacy getting 25-30 touches per game and drafting Starks as his handcuff.
I respect your right to have your opinion but that doesn't mean I agree with it or respect you for having it.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#20 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 11:31:49 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,117

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I agree 100% but I'm not sure Mike McCarthy does. As far back as I can remember it seems the Packers have always been a 1 back team when that #1 back is healthy. They say different but they run the guy into the dirt anyway. In their defense though, as long as running backs are being perceived as a dime a dozen and you have a guy like Starks who you think can step in and fill the void why not run the #1 until he drops and simply plug the next guy in. I don't agree but it is a way of thinking.

Besides, Fantasy people want to be able to count on Lacy getting 25-30 touches per game and drafting Starks as his handcuff.


The secret to why they've appeared to run one guy into the dirt comes down to one factoid. Only one RB on the roster was trustworthy in pass protection. If John Kuhn was as gifted as Starks or even Lacy, he'd be in on every single play.

UserPostedImage
Offline beast  
#21 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 11:57:31 AM(UTC)
beast

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/5/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 219
Applause Received: 295

Originally Posted by: sschind Go to Quoted Post
I agree 100% but I'm not sure Mike McCarthy does. As far back as I can remember it seems the Packers have always been a 1 back team when that #1 back is healthy. They say different but they run the guy into the dirt anyway.


I think part of the reasons it seems like that is because the Packers haven't often had two good RBs healthy at the same time (I mean how often have they had one good RB healthy at any given point before this last season, must less two)... also because I think Mike McCarthy wanted a RB that could do it all and have limited switching guys during drives, other than Brandon Jackson or John Kuhn as the 3rd down guy maybe if needed.

But if the RBs stay healthy (who knows if that's gonna to happen or not) I think Mike McCarthy finally figured out how to use RBs to fit his vision better... last year instead of switching them in and out, when they were healthy, Mike McCarthy would let Lacy be the #1 guy, but then would also give Starks full drives (and take Lacy out for the whole drive)... so they didn't have to switch RB during the whole time (unless they wanted Kuhn in as the 3rd down guy)... and it seemed like the Packers were trying to get special packages going with Franklin and the offense would be a bit different with him in the game, because defenses are going to play him differently than they would say Lacy. Which some of those packages might go to Harris now... and it'll be interesting to see how defenses play him and how he does.

I still wonder if a 4th RB can step up and get to the 53 man roster... which might be nice to have, with Lacy's physical running style and Starks injury history... as a just in guess guy. From looking at highlight RB Rajion Neal has some good talent, he might not be ready as a rookie, but I think he could have decent NFL career.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Dexter_Sinister on 7/18/2014(UTC), Mucky Tundra on 7/19/2014(UTC)
Offline yooperfan  
#22 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 1:46:23 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Ishpeming Michigan

Applause Given: 578
Applause Received: 265

I don't think Lacy will be a 1 year wonder.
I agree with Wades John Brockington comparison. The Packers ran him into the ground for three years and discarded him.

I watched his interview with Larry McCarren last year and I came away with the impression he didn't plan on sticking around very long.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#23 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 1:54:12 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,117

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
I don't think Lacy will be a 1 year wonder.

I agree with Wades John Brockington comparison. The Packers ran him into the ground for three years and discarded him.

I watched his interview with Larry McCarren last year and I came away with the impression he didn't plan on sticking around very long.


Over four full seasons ... 216, 274, 265 and 266 attempts per season which is about 15-19 carries a game. I don't see that as running him into the ground. He only topped 20 receptions once in those four years which that total was 43.

Barry Sanders averaged 20 carries throughout his entire 10 year career.


btw, if Wade had compared Eddie Lacy to Barry Sanders, this would have been taken an entire different direction lol
UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#24 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 2:04:44 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Ishpeming Michigan

Applause Given: 578
Applause Received: 265

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Over four full seasons ... 216, 274, 265 and 266 attempts per season which is about 15-19 carries a game. I don't see that as running him into the ground. He only topped 20 receptions once in those four years which that total was 43.

Barry Sanders averaged 20 carries throughout his entire 10 year career.


btw, if Wade had compared Eddie Lacy to Barry Sanders, this would have been taken an entire different direction lol


Brockington averaged 5.1 in his 1st year in 1971 and 3.3 in his last year in 74.
He was toast after 3 years.

Offline uffda udfa  
#25 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 2:22:05 PM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 146

Adrian Peterson had 1406 NFL carries and tore his knee to shreds the season before he rushed for over 2000 yards.

Brockington had 1347 carries for his entire career. Peterson had Brockington's career total and 59 more carries BEFORE he fell a few yards short of the NFL single season rushing record.

If Brockington was "toast" it was because he didn't properly take care of his body. John Riggins had nearly 3000 carries in his NFL career.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 7/18/2014(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#26 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 2:33:03 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,117

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
Brockington averaged 5.1 in his 1st year in 1971 and 3.3 in his last year in 74.
He was toast after 3 years.


And that makes me lean more towards it was due to John Brockington, not being "run into the ground". And during those four years I mentioned, it was only a 14 game season so even less wear and tear.
UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#27 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 4:44:43 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Ishpeming Michigan

Applause Given: 578
Applause Received: 265

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa Go to Quoted Post
Adrian Peterson had 1406 NFL carries and tore his knee to shreds the season before he rushed for over 2000 yards.

Brockington had 1347 carries for his entire career. Peterson had Brockington's career total and 59 more carries BEFORE he fell a few yards short of the NFL single season rushing record.

If Brockington was "toast" it was because he didn't properly take care of his body. John Riggins had nearly 3000 carries in his NFL career.


Perhaps he didn't take care of his body (although he looked like he was chiseled from stone) or perhaps he just lost his passion for the game (he had a lot of miles on him coming out of Ohio State).

At any rate my feeling is Lacy's career is likely to mirror Brockingtons where he wears out physically or loses his passion to play.

Offline nerdmann  
#28 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 6:02:51 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,556
Applause Received: 640

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
And that makes me lean more towards it was due to John Brockington, not being "run into the ground". And during those four years I mentioned, it was only a 14 game season so even less wear and tear.


Yes but more "carries per game."
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Zero2Cool  
#29 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 6:08:14 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,117

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Yes but more "carries per game."


How do you figure?
UserPostedImage
Offline uffda udfa  
#30 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 11:10:09 AM(UTC)
uffda udfa

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 4/25/2014(UTC)
Location: Texas

Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 146

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps he didn't take care of his body (although he looked like he was chiseled from stone) or perhaps he just lost his passion for the game (he had a lot of miles on him coming out of Ohio State).

At any rate my feeling is Lacy's career is likely to mirror Brockingtons where he wears out physically or loses his passion to play.



As to Brockington... AD had a ton of wear coming out of Oklahoma. AD has incredible passion...I don't know enough about Brockington to know if he had the same.

As to Lacy, the closest current comparison back would be Marshawn Lynch...that dude has back problems. He's carried it 1753 times and still is extremely effective. I don't know that Marshawn is a guy who loves football, either.

To me, Lacy seems to enjoy the NFL some. If his attitude stays good there's no reason he can't carry as much and for as long as Marshawn Lynch. I would say 4-5 more good seasons out of Eddie would be a reasonable expectation. It'll be interesting to see what kind of deal we offer him if he's still playing at a high level when his contract is up in a few seasons.
UserPostedImage

It's one heckuva drug.
 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages<123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF.NET | YAF.NET © 2003-2014, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.301 seconds.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
21m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

30m / Random Babble / Smokey

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

4h / Random Babble / Gilligan

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

5h / Random Babble / Smokey

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

6h / Random Babble / Cheesey

6h / Random Babble / Cheesey

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann


Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.