uffda udfa
9 years ago

ha, who was the guy that beat all of Greg Jennings college records Jamarko Simmons? Remember him?

Boykin doesn't have terrible speed though he had a terrible 40 yard dash time, his speed is perfectly fine for an NFL WR.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

All of Greg Jennings records?

http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4600&ATCLID=204947642 

BTW, GREAT pull on ol' Jamarko... I do remember him. That kid was undrafted and then had injuries a plenty. Why he didn't get drafted? He had fair speed. Good size. I know his college coach was puzzled as to why he didn't get drafted. It may have had a lot to do with his ejection on national TV. Attitude will make you fall out of a draft. Ask Adrian Hubbard.

Jamarko 

(Greg) Jennings, who's stayed close to WMU's football program, did everything he could to keep Simmons on the Packers' radar during the last year.

A couple times during the draft, the Packers' brass told Jennings they were considering selecting Simmons, before calling back to say they weren't going to take any receivers.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

play2win
9 years ago

Attitude will make you fall out of a draft. Ask Adrian Hubbard.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

So, do you just wander aimlessly all over this world with your flame thrower switched to the ON position?

😆
mi_keys
9 years ago
UserPostedImage

Here are the 40 times of every receiver drafted in the 2014 draft versus their draft pick. At least based on this past year, the 40 yard dash time, on its own, has little to no correlation with where a receiver is drafted.

Speed is a useful tool for receivers but there are so many other factors that can make a receiver good or bad. The bottom line: if 40 times were as important as some people make them out to be, we'd see more track and field stars scouted to the NFL.
Born and bred a cheesehead
uffda udfa
9 years ago

UserPostedImage

Here are the 40 times of every receiver drafted in the 2014 draft versus their draft pick. At least based on this past year, the 40 yard dash time, on its own, has little to no correlation with where a receiver is drafted.

Speed is a useful tool for receivers but there are so many other factors that can make a receiver good or bad. The bottom line: if 40 times were as important as some people make them out to be, we'd see more track and field stars scouted to the NFL.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

Where is that chart from? I want to know who this WR is that ran 4.7+ that was drafted high. EDIT: Ah, Jarvis Landry. A guy who ran 4.51 at his pro day.

Here's one a little easier to follow that covers 10 years of data....

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/5/9/3010971/nfls-history-of-speed-a-low-40-time-high-draft-pick 

BTW, Richard Rodgers and Davante Adams fall outside the parameters of average speed for any draft spot measured by this chart.

EDIT II: BTW, when I said our new TE didn't run like a DEER but rather just a DE, I was right on the money.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

mi_keys
9 years ago

Where is that chart from? I want to know who this WR is that ran 4.7+ that was drafted high.

Here's one a little easier to follow that covers 10 years of data....

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2012/5/9/3010971/nfls-history-of-speed-a-low-40-time-high-draft-pick 

BTW, Richard Rodgers and Davante Adams fall outside the parameters of average speed for any draft spot measured by this chart.

I compiled it.

CBS had an article that listed almost every 40 time for receivers. I filled in the rest from CBS draft profile pages. The draft position was taken from Wikipedia (they have every draft in history I believe and the more recent can be sorted by position). I then compiled it into excel.

The 4.7+ was Jarvis Landry. I took combine times unless they didn't run a combine. If you remove him entirely it doesn't change the graph too much (you get an R^2 of .002+ I believe, still almost no correlation).

The article you cited shows an average difference of .04 between receivers taken at the end of the draft and receivers taken in the top 20. It's also impossible to glean from that list whether or not there are any outliers (like Jarvis Landry, who ran a 4.58 at his pro day from what I've read). Were there any particularly high or low times that skewed any of those averages? What was the median time?
uffda udfa
9 years ago
Nice work on the chart. Thought it might be a PFF, NFP, or CHFF work.
UserPostedImage

mi_keys
9 years ago

Nice work on the chart. Thought it might be a PFF, NFP, or CHFF work.

Thanks. I have to put my business school education towards SOMETHING. Might as well be sports.\:d/
lolleren
9 years ago
To me the 40 time is only part of the equation when it comes to the athletic ability, It has be used along with the rest of the numbers for vertical jump, broad jump, cone drills etc. That will give you an indication of the overall athletic ability, explosiveness, change of direction speed etc, running 40 meters in a straight line says nothing on its own.

That being said, there is no doubt when looking at the numbers that our new TE Rodgers is an inferior athlete compared to Finley, who himself was no top athlete when compared to the top TE today, Julius Thomas, Vernon Davis, Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham etc.

I am quite sure neither Gates nor Gonzales was able to run much better than our new Rodgers late in their careers, and they still put up good numbers for TEs, and was able to match anything we ever got out of Finley, defense adjustments or not.

I hope he makes up for his lack of numbers in gym shorts by putting up big numbers in pads, only time will tell.

blank
DoddPower
9 years ago
Do the Packers plan to keep Rodgers around 270? Or are they going to bring him down a bit? That could have an impact on his speed.
Fan Shout
earthquake (2h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (4h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (7h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (8h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.